What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

DSC07248.JPG

I agree with Andy that you will see very rare cars at this event that you are unlikely to see elsewhere .

I wasn't going to go this year but reading the entry list online persuaded me to buy a ticket .

Here's the most exotic looking thing this year ,

DSC07274.JPG

This was the rarest Ferrari present ,1of 2 , a 365 P "Tre Posti "

If you don't know what Tre Posti means , look at where the steering wheel is ,in the middle of 3 seats .and brush up on your Italian .

The only other car made was for Gianni Agnelli . When Sr Agnelli ,boss of FIAT says he wants one ,he gets one .

DSC07240.JPG

When I saw this on Saturday , it belonged to the Prince of Wales ,it now belongs to the King of England .

It was the only car roped off .

View attachment 412486
I'd love to get a look under that and in the engine bay - bet it looks like it was made yesterday, Actually bet it looks better than any other example!

Interesting to speculate if I had a bonnet mascot like that, with lots of sharp edges, whether I'd get pulled by the boys in blue?

I'd love to get a look under that and in the engine bay - bet it looks like it was made yesterday, Actually bet it looks better than any other example!

Interesting to speculate if I had a bonnet mascot like that, with lots of sharp edges, whether I'd get pulled by the boys in blue?
If memory serves correctly it won’t look like any other DB6 under the bonnet having been converted a few years back to run on cheese and wine….. (turned into bio-ethenol)

Charles was always a bit obcessed with the environment, I actually wonder if he will influence government policy on the environment in the coming years.

It was the only car roped off .
It was also the car used by prince William to drive away from his wedding with his new wife, it was a bit of a star of the wedding and quite famous in its own right now.

This event is usually attended by royalty, I think it was Prince Michael of Kent when I was there who was driving a Bentley Blower up and down just in front of the building.

It’s a karma smile today.
In 25 years of working with the rubber tired loader my company builds, I have never had an accident with one. A close call or two but never any damage.
When the powers that be decided that the machines for the US market should be built in the US, I was initially pleased because we would be able to control the quality and maybe put the kibosh on the SCNF requirements that are more of a hinderance than a help over here. Plan was that the project would be my baby.
It was decided from the first new person they hired that I wasn’t to be involved in the production process. Never mind that I had over 20 years experience in production and had run a production shop with 50 people in it before I started here. I was to stay in the field. Kind of pissed me off but on the plus side, I didn’t need to move to South Carolina. The company sent several new people to the factory in Italy for training. Mind you, I have never been there. Another sore spot.
In five years, not one machine has come out of the shop correct. They even went as far as having myself and one other field guy come in and do a final inspection. We rejected every machine and we were over ridden by management and the machines were delivered anyway. The field guys ended up receiving the brunt of the customers displeasure. Several of the machines were returned for a refund. We’re talking several hundred thousand bucks.

So, for the long lead in. Those trained in Italy still apparently haven’t a clue as to what they are doing. Yesterday, they were having problems getting a new machine to move. Someone did something and it suddenly moved, by itself. No way in hell is it supposed to move by itself, but it did…through three tool boxes and into a concrete wall. Not only destroying the toolboxes, damaging the wall, and the machine, the office on the opposite side of the wall belongs to the head of HR/Safety Compliance. No one was hurt, but The Sh*7 Has Hit The Fan, as production on all machines has ceased, all involved in production of the machine are now subject to drug tests, the state safety board was called in(BFD) and several folks may be looking for new employment.

I and the rest of the field crew are just smiling and chuckling among ourselves.
Ha Ha Ha Ha. There is a God. Justice. My wife said yesterday of one of my pension providers something that seems to apply here but I cant repeat it!

I made an unexpected return to an unnamed forum I abandoned 3 months ago to search for some pics , found them and downloaded a few dozen .

I'll post just a few .

This is a very rare modern Zagato Alfa with styling touches taken from the old TZs , seen in Italy May 2019 on the Mille Miglia , saw it in Brescia 2 days before this too .
After reading Wikipedia ,it's a TZ3 Stradale ,1of 9 , basically a Zagato Alfa body on a Dodge Viper .complete with 600 BHP V10 engine .

PsEnbOfK.jpg

Now that I’ve retired, I’ve be able to meet more of my neighbors since we moved to our new place three years ago. With me traveling every week and the beer virus, it wasn’t always possible.
Yesterday, the folks who live across the street on the east side of us(we live on a curve)were having a garage sale and their two young boys were selling lemonade. I was coming back from walking the mutt, so I decided to partake at the boys stand.
Their mom and I got to talking and she mentioned growing up in Dundee Township in Illinois. My wife and I lived in the same township for over forty years, so I asked where. She said Carpentersville and I said that we lived there on Wren Rd for 18 years. She asked my last name, so I told her. Her eyes got wide, then said that she did a sleepover at our house with our oldest daughter, Shannon, when they were in elementary school. Then my eyes got wide. She mentioned our youngest daughters’ name, Courtney, plus her nickname, which was Corky. And she remembered our little black dog, Haley. Haley was great with kids.
So we talked about what my kids have been up to, their kids, where they live, etc.

Small world.

I went to the Mille Miglia 5 times 2013 -2019 , it always made me smile when down there , so I will post a few more from the last time I went and can highly recommend the trip to anyone wanting an Italian road trip with cars involved .

The organisers sometimes invite a specific make to tag along with the main MM entrants , and there is also the Ferrari Tributo run and Mercedes' that run ahead of the old cars .

2019 , Zagato specials were the invited group . An Aston Martin ,but look who's piloting it !

zdXoSNbJ.jpg
Z50TbevK.jpg

That ^^^ was in Brescia , where the event always starts and finishes , on start day , the crowds in the city were always huge [pre Covid ]

2 days later , after they have all been down to Rome , they are now heading through Tuscany .

A Ferrari BB and a LaFerrari .

6sommex2.jpg
wKOmBXaL.jpg

Thanks PB, I really enjoyed watching that. Over the years I've seen many claims for perpetual motion machines and they are usually highly entertaining. There are always losses which either haven't been factored in or the "inventor" is deliberately hiding. Pity though, it really would be the holy grail.

I'm heading off next Sunday on a motorcycle camping trip. I'm going solo so I can travel light. I like a cup or two of black coffee in the morning to get the old body moving. Kind of like ether for a diesel on a cold morning. I had a 3-5 cup percolator for years that got damaged when I got clobbered by car while on a cycling trip. I repaired it and got a couple more years from it before it fell off a shelf and it became obvious that it could not be repaired again. I've been looking for another for a while and there is a dearth of 9 cup percolators but 3-5 are few and for between. I found a 7 cup recently and it's okay but because of it's larger size, it takes awhile before it heats up enough to get to working. That longer time equals more fuel. Not a big deal but I'd rather burn less fuel and get my coffee faster. I finally found a 3-5 cup stove top percolator yesterday. And it was cheap-ish.

I don't know what a morning cup of joe is like on your side of the pond, but I don't function well until I've had at least twelve ounces. I use caffeine because it's cheaper than jail. ;)

Back