What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Heading home, saw a 500 pulling a tiny caravan coming towards me. Very late, realised it was @werdna off for the weekend no doubt.

Neighbour got a flat tyre. I pumped it up, and there was no hissing. Not about to jack it up and turn the wheel, as her drive is quite a slope. Did check the valve, no escape.
She popped it down to the tyre shop at the bottom of the road. They removed the wheel, pumped it up, drowned it in the bath, but no air escaping. Popped the wheel back on, gave it back, no charge.
Later I popped next door to check it again, seemd OK, put the presure gauge on it, pressure good, but as I released it, valve hissed. Got it! Valve core playing up, letting air out, but not when checking it. Popped a new core in and pumped it up again. 2 hours later, all still fine.

Heading home, saw a 500 pulling a tiny caravan coming towards me. Very late, realised it was @werdna off for the weekend no doubt.

Neighbour got a flat tyre. I pumped it up, and there was no hissing. Not about to jack it up and turn the wheel, as her drive is quite a slope. Did check the valve, no escape.
She popped it down to the tyre shop at the bottom of the road. They removed the wheel, pumped it up, drowned it in the bath, but no air escaping. Popped the wheel back on, gave it back, no charge.
Later I popped next door to check it again, seemd OK, put the presure gauge on it, pressure good, but as I released it, valve hissed. Got it! Valve core playing up, letting air out, but not when checking it. Popped a new core in and pumped it up again. 2 hours later, all still fine.
Not that long ago we had the same problem with the N/S/R on my boy's Astra. It was just before they went off to Devon on their summer hols and was quite difficult to find due to it being an intermittent fault. His local garage charged him £20 to not find fault and I then removed the wheel and "painted" it with a strong solution of water and washing up liquid. This usually finds leaks easily because it blows bubbles at you, but on this occasion it failed. Several days before they were due to leave, we were out there looking after grandchildren and the wee lad likes it when I'm "messing" with the cars so we went out and checked his tyre pressures. N/S/R about 10 psi down so we connected the pump and blew it back up again. Then I administered the "spit test" to the valve - he was fascinated by that - I was rewarded with a slowly blown bubble! I briefly depressed the valve core and, when more spit was applied, it didn't blow bubbles. replaced the core and it's been fine ever since.

Not that long ago we had the same problem with the N/S/R on my boy's Astra. It was just before they went off to Devon on their summer hols and was quite difficult to find due to it being an intermittent fault. His local garage charged him £20 to not find fault and I then removed the wheel and "painted" it with a strong solution of water and washing up liquid. This usually finds leaks easily because it blows bubbles at you, but on this occasion it failed. Several days before they were due to leave, we were out there looking after grandchildren and the wee lad likes it when I'm "messing" with the cars so we went out and checked his tyre pressures. N/S/R about 10 psi down so we connected the pump and blew it back up again. Then I administered the "spit test" to the valve - he was fascinated by that - I was rewarded with a slowly blown bubble! I briefly depressed the valve core and, when more spit was applied, it didn't blow bubbles. replaced the core and it's been fine ever since.
Have had several older cars recently with alloy wheels leaking at the rims due to corrosion, the soapy water and a paint brush usually shows it ;).

Have had several older cars recently with alloy wheels leaking at the rims due to corrosion, the soapy water and a paint brush usually shows it ;).
Take a look at this Russian steel rim.😂
WwOkyPQ.jpg

I was kind of grumpy when I found it.

Yesterday now..but out with the lad...

Nice to be out in the woods and hear a small but recently missing sound, running water.

20220827_112735.jpg

This was a few weeks ago..that is an old dam that held water for the mine in case you're wondering what the random wall in the woods is we literally walked along a dry stream bed.
20220814_104218.jpg

Autumn is definitely on the way...
20220827_113246.jpg

Anywho 4 hours of dragging him round the woods..and I can add "stroking a barn owl" (not a wild one) to the list of random experiences I've had trying to keep a toddler busy this month. Along with driving a JCB 3cx and going on safari in county Durham.

In the 1970s I used to work on the Russian Lada 1200 and 1500s (Fiat 124 under license) and in their defence I would say the sills etc were very heavy duty, mind you extra weight didn't do a lot for the fuel economy when combined with a Russian twin choke copy of a Weber carb.
Many years ago, before I bought my Ural, I was doing a lot of reading up on them. Basically, I wanted to know what I was getting into. Well before the rigs made it to the US, I understand they were sold in the UK as Cossack Cycles. Or sold through Cossack Cycles. One article I read was on carbs. It stated that the Russian Pekar 65 carb was a decent little unit, if a bit undersized for the task for the then 650cc engine. The Pekar 68, though, "Sprayed petrol everywhere but where it needed to be".

I think hot coffee came out my nose.

Many years ago, before I bought my Ural, I was doing a lot of reading up on them. Basically, I wanted to know what I was getting into. Well before the rigs made it to the US, I understand they were sold in the UK as Cossack Cycles. Or sold through Cossack Cycles. One article I read was on carbs. It stated that the Russian Pekar 65 carb was a decent little unit, if a bit undersized for the task for the then 650cc engine. The Pekar 68, though, "Sprayed petrol everywhere but where it needed to be".

I think hot coffee came out my nose.
Technology that Puke-tin has 'improved' in perfecting his no it wasn't me barrel bombs......

Dentist is going to reinstall my teeths tonight in time for supper. Yipee. Hospital have finally come through with appointments for stent change inside 2 weeks Triple yipee. Not sure why triple as its only the LHS.

Oh what a nice flat road.

Coedpoeth, Wrexham is nothing but hills but the plus side is lovely scenery, vistas and sheep! Riding partners for 15 years. Me, just back on a bike after 40 years :) and it hurts :)
It's mostly rolling prairie though there are some hills. Nothing really steep unless you count the kame road in one of the local forest preserves. That is one where all forward motion stops and you fall over. One of the benefits of riding here is to be able to see for miles. If you see a storm squall, you can USUALLY bypass it.
Congrats on being back on 2 wheels.

Back