What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

I've made some good savings on the Pro range of tools but the best savings come with the special offers that they continually do - which kind of makes a mockery of the trade-card in my opinion.

There's never much of a saving on cleaning stuff either which is irritating as I get through loads of it

Halfrauds continually miss a trick with the increasing number of owners with classic cars - they could do a nice range of Whitiworth tools. ...And for the bikers among us I see very little in there nowadays. In fact I commented to a friend that it all seems to be bicycles, kiddies car seats and camping gear these days (n)

My modern day Halfords experience is pretty much exclusively at their Seafield branch here in Edinburgh. I have occasionally bought stuff like screen wash, wiper blades etc from others - even as far afield as Barnstaple in Devon! - but Seafield is the only branch I have in depth knowledge of. For me their great strength is the weekend opening and the trade card gets me serious discounts on a lot of the stuff I'm looking for which perhaps I forgot to buy, or didn't know I was going to need, from the factors on the Friday or Saturday morning (things like brake Pads or shoes, brake fluid, Antifreeze - too many types and age limited to keep them all now - you get the idea) . Yes they do good special offers but they may not be relevant to a service task and may not be what, I'm looking for at that moment. So, personally, I find the trade card very useful indeed. Also there's one particular chap here at our branch who took a particular interest in my purchase of the Vortex socket sets. I bought both this one https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...ric-vortex-socket-set-1/4in-3/8in-217695.html and the 1/2" size equivalent set. Every time I go in I get a big smile from him and he's very keen to hear of any jobs I've done using them. Don't think these sets were "big sellers" which is probably why he remembers me buying both sets? He also keeps me up to date with any specials he thinks might interest me. I suppose that's just good business on his part - hoping for a sale from the "idiot" who bought the Vortex Sockets? - but he seems genuine and to recommend useful stuff.

They have a workshop attached, but separate, but I have no experience of them - looks to much of a "Fast Fit" type operation to interest me. About half a mile away, along the seafront road, there is/was another Halfords which was a workshop only - no retail shop attached. It is/was/seemed to be a completely separate entity which took on big jobs? I've seen engines out on the floor etc. (don't know if it's even still open as I haven't been in in some time) I only ever bought tyres there - with 6 cars in the family someone seems to be always needing a tyre - but the workshop manager on the front desk seemed very knowledgeable and I was impressed by the opinions he expressed in the conversations we had whilst my tyres were being fitted. They did a good balance job too - I'm very fussy about wheel balance and it's not something which is always a "given".

Cleaning "stuff" I buy on line, not that I'm obsessed with car cleaning. I do use a 2 bucket washing system. Lucky if the car gets waxed once a year though. I think I'm probably a closet Rat Rod wannabe? Like to hoover out and clean the interior regularly, which is great now we have "Norman" (our newly acquired commercial Numatic vacuum) don't like dust on the dash in particular!

Do you think there's actually enough volume sales in classic car stuff for them? I'd like to think so, but? Agree about the lack of mechanical stuff for Motor Cycles though - Although I should qualify that by saying I'm only ever looking for spares for old machines. Our store has an upstairs too and that's all bikes. I've wandered around it just out of interest and was struck, as you mention, by the racks of special tools. Not like my old "policeman's" Raleigh at all!

PS I used to buy from Halfords in London back in the '60's. It was a quite different and less "flashy" operation then. Always a place I looked forward to visiting and still have some of the stuff I bought. Came across a fuel economy device the other day in an old box. It's a spring loaded diaphragm which fitted in the fuel line before the carburettor and was supposed to take the "pulse" effect out of the fuel delivery thus eliminating the "jogging" effect in the float chamber needle. It never made any difference I could detect on fuel consumption!

Last edited:
Crikey Jock - another fascinating read from you Sir! (y)
Interesting that old fuel saving device you have hived away. Old 'Automobilia' like that has a certain value these days!

I was lucky enough to trace and meet up with the first owner of my MG J2 (1932).

I found him alive and well and living near Guildford (This was back in the mid 1980s btw).

He told me that he recalled some sort of wind-speed device that he had mounted on the car - I'm not quite sure why - perhaps just a gimmick, but it struck me as the kind of thing that Halfords may have sold back in the day!

Back in the 60s as a lad I enjoyed the Avengers very much indeed, in fact I was transfixed by Mrs Peel, the story lines were great and I just loved the whole thing, even the music thrilled me.

Back in the real world fifty odd years later and I’m aquatinted with the show again, what a lot of schite absolutely drivel, through the eyes of a young boy eh? I’m laughing at myself :D How on earth did I like this nonsense, :confused: The acting is so wooden and pathetic. :D

Had a similar experience with the A team.

Loved it as a child in the 80s, my wife bought me all 6 seasons on DVD a few years ago.

Good lord. Leaving aside the awful acting, continuity, plot and only loose adherence to physics.

The whole premise of the show makes no sense...so after say 5 jobs where the A team have hurt no one...would you just not get on with it as though they aren't there. "Look Boss it's the A team what do we do??? Nothing continue as normal and you'll be unharmed...they might blow up a vehicle or 2..but they are otherwise harmless."

Actually it is good to have that innocence as a child, kids today seem to miss out on their childhood which can and does affect them in later life. Although devices are very clever what have you,they are very dangerous for all sorts of reasons, but that’s all a different story.

I’ve been growing chilli plants for months now from seed, four, and up to now only one chilli has appeared, the size of my thumb and it was ripe, bright orange. Yesterday I would try it in a curry. I have curry sauces all ready and I just add fresh chillies. Seemingly the hotter the chilli the longer and harder it is to grow, and believe me, I’ve tried all the tips and tricks I’ve looked up on the net on growing these things.

Back to my curry, cut the wee chilli in half, the shape is wrinkled and roundish. Ache I thought this isn’t going to cut it heat wise, licked my finger after running it across the chilli, seconds later :eek:holy schit wow,yep! hot as hell. Added to my curry base with other ingredients, really hot, I do like my curries hot, but I use fresh chillies which does it for me. Hopefully more chillies will appear. :D

I’ve been growing chilli plants for months now from seed, four, and up to now only one chilli has appeared, the size of my thumb and it was ripe, bright orange. Yesterday I would try it in a curry. I have curry sauces all ready and I just add fresh chillies. Seemingly the hotter the chilli the longer and harder it is to grow, and believe me, I’ve tried all the tips and tricks I’ve looked up on the net on growing these things.

Back to my curry, cut the wee chilli in half, the shape is wrinkled and roundish. Ache I thought this isn’t going to cut it heat wise, licked my finger after running it across the chilli, seconds later :eek:holy schit wow,yep! hot as hell. Added to my curry base with other ingredients, really hot, I do like my curries hot, but I use fresh chillies which does it for me. Hopefully more chillies will appear. :D
I wish any of my home gardening attempts would turn out nicely like this! I always end up killing the herbs I try to grow within a couple of weeks..

Next year I will start earlier, even January preparing the seeds, I will also plant easier chillies to grow, the long red ones. I will also try and winter the plants that I have grown, but that can be tricky. It will keep me occupied...:D

Travelling up the M4 today
A quick glance in my drivers door mirror

Cream paint and Bold Chromed Headlamps

Mind thinks : ooh an E-Type

A second glance tells me..

A Modern Mini :eek:

they obviously got one styling que correct.. or at least close.. it was a 5 door

Last edited:
Thanks to a good deal on Amazon prime day the Punto now has Echo Auto

I’m really impressed with this for £30 it basically manages phone satnav and all music functions including radio adding internet (dab) stations to a car with a basic FM set up also looks quite smart and uses the screen of the phone as a display for all the functions

Attachments

• 381C15A5-1607-4188-AAF3-ED5F4D0EDC0A.jpeg
    381C15A5-1607-4188-AAF3-ED5F4D0EDC0A.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
Thanks to a good deal on Amazon prime day the Punto now has Echo Auto

I’m really impressed with this for £30 it basically manages phone satnav and all music functions including radio adding internet (dab) stations to a car with a basic FM set up also looks quite smart and uses the screen of the phone as a display for all the functions

Interesting Andy!
Why does it have to have the device mounted into the air-vent though?
I like devices like this but like things fitted discreetly and out of sight. I assume there is a reason you cant do this?

Interesting Andy!
Why does it have to have the device mounted into the air-vent though?
I like devices like this but like things fitted discreetly and out of sight. I assume there is a reason you cant do this?

It’s the mount it came with, to be honest it’s not the most elegant, but the whole idea is to be able to use this with voice control therefore it needs to be somewhere the microphones can pick up your voice, it lights up blue to indicate it’s listening so it also helps to be somewhere you can see the unit, the location of the mount is not much of an issue to me it’s more how chunky it is for such a little device.

The main thing people complain about with this is the mount, it’s easy enough to make something a bit better on the 3d printer if needed.

I've just been reading reviews about it on Amazon - crikey - its a bit of a mixed bag!

I tend to read reviews carefully - and usually the bad reviews first because Amazon is known to have a lot of 'fake reviews'

I'm a big fan of DAB radio and thought it might be a good solution in my 2014 Panda. Its probably 'horses for courses' you clearly like this device and think its a good bit of kit, but its likely to be more wires trailing around the car for me - something I dont like

Last edited:
I've just been reading reviews about it on Amazon - crikey - its a bit of a mixed bag!

I tend to read reviews carefully - and usually the bad reviews first because Amazon is known to have a lot of 'fake reviews'

I'm a big fan of DAB radio and thought it might be a good solution in my 2014 Panda. Its probably 'horses for courses' you clearly like this device and think its a good bit of kit, but its likely to be more wires trailing around the car for me - something I dont like

Well your options are to change the entire radio to an aftermarket DAB radio. Aftermarket is something I really don’t like. You can fit something like a Pure DAB plug in thing and that would be a perfectly good solution if you want DAB but that has even more wires with a need to attach an aerial to the windscreen. This works without an aerial because it uses your phone data.

With the Punto that little cubby just beside the 68R socket above where the thing is mounted has a hole in the back of it and can be used to route any wiring straight down to the usb and audio in ports in front of the gear stick so it can be easily fitted without the problems of trailing wires if needed.

I use Amazon music and this also gave me a 60 day audiable trial (my wife uses audiable) this works way better than voice control via blue and me for phone calls, it also works to give you satnav via your phone which is much more accurate and up to date than the terrible tomtom for blue and me I have in the glove box. It also does not need you to plug your phone in you can leave your phone in your pocket and just set it playing music news or any number of other voice controlled apps without taking your eyes or attention off the road.

Also I should add it was only £30 and I was intrigued to see for myself how it worked, honestly it works exceptionally well in the Punto but it’s not really something that’s needed in my golf which has Apple car play

Last edited:
Back