What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

i will miss the old leader, switch on fuel 3 kicks choke out turn on start first kick .it was orignal only mod electronic ign. at nearly 75 its time to hang up my boots on the plus side i can think about my 24 th fiat?
I've always been more into cars than anything else but not exclusively. It was about 50/50 bikes and cars when I was younger but even in later years there's always been a small capacity bike or two there in the background, (Various Bantams, a James, AJS, Mobylettes, etc) even if it was in pieces being refurbished. That is until last year when I sold my "Peanut tank" NSU Quickly and Mrs J started worrying about me falling off my bikes - she keeps telling me 73 year olds don't "bounce" and has asked me not to ride them any more. Now, with the sale of the NSU I don't currently have a bike - although I've heard of a Douglas Dragonfly! It's one I chased after a few years ago. It was all in pieces in boxes but at that time it seemed to be mostly all there. I gave up on it when someone offered "silly" money for it but a wee "birdy" has tweeted in my ear that the guy has lost interest - apparently he never even started on it - and now wants to sell. I'd probably better not though - anyway he paid a small fortune for it so won't be selling for anything near my sort of price. Then again I've heard very vague rumours of a Velocette LE (could it maybe be a Scott?) However maybe it is time I started behaving?

I also find old/vintage horticultural machinery interesting and there's always something of that nature lying around too - The latest project having been a Merry Tiller Major cultivator which I was given about 20 years ago as a non runner and finally got round to overhauling.

P1090395.JPG

P1090396.JPG

The engine had no spark and it's cooling shroud and carburettor removed - maybe someone was going to try to get the flywheel off to get at the points - yes, it's so old it has points type ignition! and it has it's governor spring missing although I've got it running with a "foreigner" in place:

P1090399.JPG

This bodge consists of two springs to try to get some similarity to the expansion rate of the original. Pretty course, but it works - that's about all you can say for it though. I'm looking for a genuine replacement, Then it'll be finished. I've restored this one to use so no fancy paintwork. It's first job will be knocking my younger boy's back garden into shape when the builders have finished with his extension, prior to laying turf and setting out some borders - the garden looks like a WW1 battle field just now!

Just realized you can catch a tantalizing glimpse of my trailer in the background of the cultivator pictures. I've mentioned this trailer a few times in the past and I'm very proud of it. I built it from scratch in the late 80's/early 90's. Main chassis rails came from old bed irons - stronger and lighter than angle iron. However I realize I've never shown you all a picture of it - so here it is:

P1090338.JPG
Now the Merry Tiller is finished I'm starting to get stuck into a 1950's Ransomes Minor Lawnmower I found in an abandoned warehouse and has been in my shed for many years:

P1050453.JPG

It needs a new ignition coil to run

P1050464.JPG

Original old stock is available but risky due to the lacquer on the windings degrading. New stock is expensive but there seem to be generic products, made cheaply in the far east, which can be adapted to fit. Dicisions to be made! However a bit of research is needed before I remove the flywheel because it's not keyed and if I put it back wrong it will upset the ignition timing. That could be fun!

P1050466.JPG

Interestingly it takes a humoungously large 18mm vintage spark plug. Whoever had it before me has fitted a Ford Pinto plug into it but I'll have to look for the original - which I believe is available at a not too unreasonable price.

Also I also don't have a grass box for it. I think this one will be a full restoration with paint and lettering etc. However, at my rate of progress, I may never finish it. Still, Mrs J will be pleased as I can't fall off it when it's finished! Being accident prone though I'd better watch the fingers?

I could probably post a pic taken by me on the Dolomite foothills in 1986..

Carabinieri 'jeeps'

And Cagiva mokes..

When did this FCA thing start.. :p
Talking about Campagnolas, this one really quite takes my eye: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1265989 and such a delicate shade of orange too - I've always had a soft spot for orange, much to Mrs J's disapproval.

Figured out the links with me yet..? ;)
Sorry Charlie, I haven't a clue. Always been a bit slow on the uptake though. I was that man, sitting in his room at 2 in the morning, reading through the days notes when away on manufacturer courses, so I could keep up with the next day's instruction!

Those mokes were assembled in Varese

(The Va. Of Ca Gi VA )

And making a part of my internet guise for 20 years..
They bought the Aermacchi rights @1976

Some of the early 2-strokes were badged HarleyDavidson
as they owned the rights to them also.

Owning virtually everything apart from MotoGuzzi. In old Italian bikes

They were a major force until the Ca brothers released control of the business.

Those mokes were assembled in Varese

(The Va. Of Ca Gi VA )

And making a part of my internet guise for 20 years..
They bought the Aermacchi rights @1976

Some of the early 2-strokes were badged HarleyDavidson
as they owned the rights to them also.

Owning virtually everything apart from MotoGuzzi. In old Italian bikes

They were a major force until the Ca brothers released control of the business.

Ah ha! 2 stroke (2 cycle in "Yank speak") Harley Davidsons! There was a young lad riding one of them around the playpark near where my Daughter used to live in southern Maryland. I wondered briefly about it as I didn't know Harley made "tiddlers", so that explains it - Thanks.

In fact I wonder if this clip from Terminator 2 is of one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_TNfLpc91M

I think they are Fiat Campagnolas? Tantalizingly you would occasionally see one being driven by the Carabinieri in an episode of Montalbano!

Did anyone notice? I see Montalbano on the Free Sat program guide, BBC 4 next Saturday @ 21.00 hrs. Anyone know if it's a new series or just repeats? We really enjoyed this and the Young Montalbano series - Do hope it's not just repeats.

Tipo era TV :)

Thanks Jock.. I will have a look

(His 'other half' helps date the series)
Tipo era absolutely - maybe Regatta too?

Oh yes, the ever changing lovely Livia! How many were there? I am guessing at four?

We watched the original series first and then Young Montalbano. We were very impressed by the casting. They got so many of the characters absolutely spot on - especially the young Catarella, but Mimi and Fazio were excellent too. Mrs J finds Mimi very amusing. It must have been difficult to cast the young Montalbano himself and I think I prefer the older portrayal, but Riondino (just looked it up on Wiki) made a very good job of it indeed. Going to be disappointing if it's just repeats but might rewatch them anyway - got to be better than watching wailing girl pop stars?

Last edited:
insurance due on my old van, renewal with admiral £620 no extras, shopped around and got it for £312 with legal cover, and breakdown with recovery and £27 cashback
Mrs J has just had a similar experience with her insurer for the Panda. Ridiculous renewal quote resulting in her consulting the Meerkat who came up with identical cover at almost exactly half the price. She decided to go with it - the fact they are sending her a "sleepy Oleg" which she can give to our granddaughter has no bearing on it at all!!! Interestingly when she rang up the existing insurer (Hastings I think) she got a quite indignant advisor asking why she hadn't rung them up to say how unhappy she was with their renewal quote - I will not quote her reply as it would probably get me banned from the forum! Why can't these companies see that when you upset someone like this you are very likely to loose their patronage?

I feel quite fortunate with mine. I get a deal through a previous employer via Zurich which I don't find I can beat. Last year it was £213 - to the nearest pound - and it went up to £235 this year. Fully comp with all the usual "bells and whistles" - NCD protection, low excesses, windscreen cover, etc, etc and nationwide green flag breakdown and recovery. The car is a 2016 1.0 litre 95hp turbo Seat Ibiza estate. No cash back though Dave, you've got me there!

Mrs J has just had a similar experience with her insurer for the Panda. Ridiculous renewal quote resulting in her consulting the Meerkat who came up with identical cover at almost exactly half the price. She decided to go with it - the fact they are sending her a "sleepy Oleg" which she can give to our granddaughter has no bearing on it at all!!! Interestingly when she rang up the existing insurer (Hastings I think) she got a quite indignant advisor asking why she hadn't rung them up to say how unhappy she was with their renewal quote - I will not quote her reply as it would probably get me banned from the forum! Why can't these companies see that when you upset someone like this you are very likely to loose their patronage?

I think i read a post on here about that before or one like it. so i did the same when i just rang to cancel auto renewal and they offered to requote i said no should have sent me the best price to start with. if we all start to do this may be they will stop trying to scam us

Ridiculous renewal quote resulting in her consulting the Meerkat who came up with identical cover at almost exactly half the price.
I've just had exactly the same experience. My new policy (with AA - no the other one:p) starts today at less than half the price of my renewal quote from my previous insurer:)

OK I understand the first year typically includes an 'introductory offer' but after I've demonstrated I'm not a massive risk to them, you'd think they might try harder to keep customers?

Remember the days when the premium usually went down every year? I guess they've realised they can bump the price instead and rely on enough people accepting it.

Thankfully my old policy did not auto-renew, so I could just ignore their messages. The previous year I must have spent nearly an hour on the phone going through the various deals my insurer tried to tempt me with before cancelling and going elsewhere.

I really don't like arguing on the phone. There are so many other things I could be enjoying in life.

I learned the hard way that customer loyalty seems to count for nothing with some insurance companies, so in future I think I'll keep taking advantage of these 'introductory offers':)

Last edited:
Thankfully my old policy did not auto-renew, so I could just ignore their messages.

I really don't like arguing on the phone. There are so many other things I could be enjoying in life.

I learned the hard way that customer loyalty seems to count for nothing with some insurance companies, so in future I think I'll keep taking advantage of these 'introductory offers':)

For a few years now I've taken particular care to ensure the auto renew is not active and I just write the date down on the kitchen calendar in case they don't notify me.

I also hate all this haggling you have to do on the 'phone. Renegotiating our landline/internet every year with Sky is a very silly "game" especially as both I and the person on the other end of the line have a very good idea of where it's all going to end. I do however enjoy haggling with car salesmen when buying a family car. Having sold cars for a few years earlier in my career I find I can "play" all but the most experienced salesmen and usually come away with a bit of a bargain.

Introductory offers? I got hooked in by SAGA a few years ago and boy did they used to do this. The introductory offer was stupendously good, big rise the next year, then another, then another. I see they are offering a fixed price deal for 3 years now - they realize they've been rumbled I think?

Doing stuff in the garage the other night I heard a rustling noise outside. Went out to check, nothing going on, then in trotted a hedgehog. No stress presumably looking for a comfy place to hibernate. I grabbed some gloves and quickly popped him into our overgrown brambles area. He half-heartedly rolled up and wow those spikes are sharp.

10 minutes later he was back, rustling under dead leaves by the back door (so that was the noise). I gave him a couple of ham slices and put a cardboard box over him (with exit gap). No sign the following morning and he's not been seen since.

Back