Technical Timing belt intervals

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt intervals

Fiat500xrealbob

Hi everyone, I have the 1.4 140bhp engine and it’s a 67 plate. Anyway our car went to the main dealer today and apparently they recommended the timing belt and tensioner be replaced, is that correct it’s only just over 4yr old and with 15,000 miles. Are they just trying to get money out of me?

Thanks for any help

Hi everyone, I have the 1.4 140bhp engine and it’s a 67 plate. Anyway our car went to the main dealer today and apparently they recommended the timing belt and tensioner be replaced, is that correct it’s only just over 4yr old and with 15,000 miles. Are they just trying to get money out of me?

Thanks for any help
5 year is the recommend life so your could easily be nearing that if it sat at a dealership for a few month before being sold

The easiest way to check whether your cambelt needs a change is to get your head into the engine room and look at the auxiliary (aka fan) belt, assuming that it is the same age as the car.

If your belt is grey, dry, cracked and generally "old" looking, then the car has been used in conditions that have been hard on the rubber. If your aux' belt is fading, then the cam-belt will be too.

On the other hand, if the belt is shiny, supple and new, then the cam-belt will be too.

My handbook (2022) shows the belt on the 1.4MA has to be changed at 72k or no later than 6 years.
If it's used in dry, dusty and "harsh" conditions, (which also includes a lot of urban driving, or idling and traffic) then they recommend 36,000 miles and no later than 4 years... which is where the dealer may be coming from.

So if your car has low miles because of lockdown/working at home etc. rather than you use it for hundreds of short journeys, then do the visual "shiny" check. You can't take too many chances with cam-belts.. but there's also no point in throwing "brand new" parts in the bin either.

Ralf S.

Is the water pump driven by the cambelt too? If so, it's common practice to replace that at the same time, because if the bearings go it can throw the belt and ruin the engine. May still be fine after 15000 miles though.

Looking at doing this myself: Bosch make belt and pump kit. Already have the kit to lock cam shaft and crank. Will need new vacuum seal. I've previously replaced motor and gearbox mount, something to consider.

Back