Technical Spark plug colour

Currently reading:
Technical Spark plug colour

I was servicing my 2004 1.2 8v with 165k yesterday and I noticed the plug for cylinder 3 looked different to the others. It looks more oily. Car drives fine. What did you think it could be?

IMG_1978.JPGIMG_1977.JPG

Not looking that bad. I would change all 4 plugs, only costs about £10-12

Not looking that bad. I would change all 4 plugs, only costs about £10-12

I’ve changed all 4 for NGK’s. I’m going to do a compression test on all cylinders just to make sure everything is okay. I wonder what the lifespan is for these engines

Check the coolant pipe across front of engine block (hidden by exhaust manifold). They are noted for corroding and will cause rapid coolant loss if allowed to fail. Replacement is fiddly but parts not expensive.

Managed to test all the cylinders for compression this evening. I know consistency is key with this kind of thing.

All cylinders have around 170psi which seems pretty healthy to me for an “old” engine. So maybe there’s nothing to worry about after all.
With compressions like these, but more importantly the fact they are all approximately the same, even if she is pulling just a little oil past a valve stem, I don't think it's likely you have anything to worry about.

Good advice on checking that main metal water pipe. As DaveMcT says, they are well known to corrode (and sometimes the corrosion is very localized so check carefully) Mine had a leaky seal where it goes into the water pump and one, small, deeply corroded "pit" and a couple of only slightly corroded bits. I was tempted to leave it but if I had, although the seal would have continued to just weep a little - so I could have just topped up about a teacup full per week - I think the deeply corroded "pit" would have become a hole quite soon after. Very glad I took it off and inspected it closely. The replacement from Shop4parts was of very good quality, included a new seal and was a lot cheaper than the dealer part.

Check the coolant pipe across front of engine block (hidden by exhaust manifold). They are noted for corroding and will cause rapid coolant loss if allowed to fail. Replacement is fiddly but parts not expensive.

Its already been changed!

The car no longer comes out in winter only April-September. I'm trying to preserve it for the future and see if I can hit 200K.

I've had the car 11 years already and cannot part with it.

Its already been changed!

The car no longer comes out in winter only April-September. I'm trying to preserve it for the future and see if I can hit 200K.

I know exactly what you mean. We had Felicity - the purple Panda "Parade" in my heading picture - for around 20 years. Unfortunately had to give up in the end because you just can't weld thin air! We also had the yellow Cordoba (in the background) from mid 2000 to 2016. I like to buy a car fairly new, sort it out and keep it 'till it's really uneconomic to keep it going any longer. Felicity was an exception though, I probably spent quite a bit more than I should have to keep her going!

I know exactly what you mean. We had Felicity - the purple Panda "Parade" in my heading picture - for around 20 years. Unfortunately had to give up in the end because you just can't weld thin air!

My father got attached to most of his cars, leaving us with 4 wrecks, a motorcycle and two scooters to dispose of. All broken, all past repair.
A 1939 Jaguar SS drophead saloon (scarce as hens teeth), taken off the road Aug '66 for some minor welding at the rear body mounts. Never touched!
A Triumph Stag, stopped working when he fitted an unnecessary oil cooler, without a higher flow pump, and ran the crank bearings in the first few hundred yards. (I did tell him). Stuffed into the garage, and left, for over 30 years. (When we can shift brother's Herald, we might be able to get rid of the Stag too.)
At one point he had 5 cars, a motorcycle and three scooters, all broken. One day, I looked out of my window, and I had three cars, all working. That was temporary, now just the two.

I've been fond of most of my cars, but not so attached that they stay too long, most have been 2-3 years, with a classic Panda kept for 4 years and 88k miles.
But I've had the Alessi since early 2010. It will be a sad day when it gets rust in it and has to go.

The Seicento 900 was just a shopping trolley which did nothing for me.
My Punto Mk2 HGT was great to drive but really not such a big deal when I sold it. I was advised the 1.4 Sporting was a better option and suspect one of those would have stayed with me for far longer.

The 169 Pandas just have a charm about them. Neither of us are in any rush to sell.

Back