Some people!!

Currently reading:
Some people!!

RightGuard

Hi guys,

My 16 year old has just got his first job, As a betterware agent!!! Yay!!, going door to door putting brochures in peoples doors, then coming back and taking the order, then delivering the order to the customers. Takes him bloody ages, putting the brochures in plastic bags, filling out forms etc, and he does 200 minimum at a time, and he only gets paid 20% commission on what the people buy from his brochures.

He went out today delivering. The co-ordinator said it would take him an hour, but it ended up as 4 hours. :yuck:

I live in a pretty quite village in the south, so he said the first few houses were okay. Then he went onto one of those housing estates for sickly rich 'investment' bankers, and put a brochure in the letterbox of a house. Next thing he knew, this real pratt of a man (typical bimmer man, suit with top unbuttoned shirt, about 40, grey hair, glasses, skinny etc.) came out and started screaming in his face, and threw the brochure at him, acting really aggressive and just plain rude, and questioning my sons 'audacity' to even walk up to his 'private property' My son said that he (my son) acted very polite, calling him sir etc, and asked for the guys exact address so he could put him on the no-go list. Then the guy hurled insults at him (scouse b******) etc, and slammed the door in his face!

Apparently this happened a few times, but not as severe. What is peoples problem? It is just disrespectful, and you wouldn't do it to someone on the street. People like that think that their house is in some kind of bell-jar, and is protected from people trying to make some kind of living. He could have even thrown it away! Even though it asks for it to be put back outside for collection. It takes one minute of time! Less in fact!

And the funny thing is, my son is a 18 stone 6ft 4 rugby player Prop! Not saying that violence is the best thing but him talking like that as if some automatic respect is needed!

Sorry for the rant but a forum is a great place to do it!:D

Fill a bag with dusters and dish cloths and have 10 rugby mates hiding round the corner :D

Ive got no problem with this type of thing (betterware / kleeneze) but the above really gets my goat when they will not take "NO thank you" for an answer and try and bully you into buying crap from their bag

this is why the betterware people change so often, i never see the same one more than twice. it gets worse when he tries to get the 20% out of them. these type of jobs just exploit the needy who want to work same as the selling doors windows and breakdown cover out side of shops, the people rarely get paied even if they do get a lead.

the boy would be better off if you front him some money to buy his own stock to sell

Get one of the Betterwear bags and post poop through his door :D

Or you could list his house on one of the postal list's so he gets rakes of junk mail everyday, :D

Well done to your son for keeping his cool.
There is no excuse for the rudeness that some people throw about. Unfortunately it is all part of the learning process.
I know people who have done this job (not to be confused with the guys that go around with a big hold-all full of dusters by the way), and they always say that the worst houses to visit are the " wealthiest", and the nicest are often the poorer ones .

Some people are just plain rude these days, I'm not a fan of catalogue drops and any that find there way into my house quickly find their way into the bin (yes I know people have to pay for them, but if they don't get get it back they don't risk another one usually)

There is absolutely no reason for this guy to have behaved the way he did, what a moron he clearly has some issues he needs to work through. Well done to your son for getting out there and doing something rather than sitting on his ass playing Xbox 24/7, and keeping his cool in the face of this idiot

Hi guys,

I know that it is great for him to be getting out there, and he could potentially earn quite a bit of money, but we will have to see tomorrow.

Not all of it is tatt in the catalogues. Yeah, there may be at 4-way extension for 14 pound in there when you can get the exact same thing in poundland, but some stuff in there is quite unique and could make some nice gifts.

Thankfully he doesn't actually have to buy the catalogues, the co-ordinator tops them up when he has lost some.

I always just leave them out on the date specified. Just no point of putting it in the bin, and it takes you 10 seconds to put it outside, and that saves the distributor a LOT of hassle. People get too touchy over the fact that when it lands in their house it is their property and they can do what they want with it. Sad that they have that much insecurity and time on their hands to concern themselves with that. How on earth has this idea got in the way of the idea of doing a little favour for someone who is doing their bit to try and get a little spending money?

Back