Snow + Grande Punto

Currently reading:
Snow + Grande Punto

Hi All,

Couple of things.

Firstly, first time iv driven my punto in the snow and on these low profiles (falken ze912) i get stuck more or less everytime i stop on fresh snow lol. Even putting in second and lifting clutch up slowly with no gas.

Secondly, because ploughs etc do not go down all roads, would it not make more sense to clear the top level snow and provide everybody with snow chains?

I dont know if this would be cheaper but just a quick thought.

What you reckon?

Secondly, because ploughs etc do not go down all roads, would it not make more sense to clear the top level snow and provide everybody with snow chains?

We get snow for a week at most? Doesn't seem worth it to me. I've managed without anything special driving on snow, not too difficult, just read the road ahead.

Yeah i know, likewise mate, just adjust your driving style to suit. But not everybody does this, infact. Instead of the point i made above, I think there should be more education into driving in snow. All the info is there, but whether people practice it when it comes to it is a different thing.

However, for all the accidents etc, preparing the snow i.e. wiping off the top layer, for chains would be useful to a lot of people.

trust me you dont want to fit chains.... your welcome to come and try fitting mine (i have practiced and can do it but its a PITA in snow when the arches are full of slush and muck)

also unless you buy fancy ones they will mark alloys

The GP even on steel rims with bridgestone 175/65r15 B250 tyres is crap i got stuck in 2007 ish when i could still see the road on a slight incline... however i stumped up the cash and bought snow/ winter tyres not had an issue since (and last winter i drove up into north yorkshire in the really bad appocoliptic snow

oh and provide yourself with the stuff you need :p

Last edited:
My dad has some v.expensive chains which come with a hub. You then fit this to the alloy wheel for the winter and makes fitting the chains minutes.

He was the only one at work last year :p

Anyway, im certainly gonna invest in some winter tyres for the end of this year.

Andy did you but yours brand new??

Hi All,

Couple of things.

Firstly, first time iv driven my punto in the snow and on these low profiles (falken ze912) i get stuck more or less everytime i stop on fresh snow lol. Even putting in second and lifting clutch up slowly with no gas.

I dont know if this would be cheaper but just a quick thought.

What you reckon?

what preparations did you make for the winter/snow?
its not up to councils/the state to nanny you on the roads

what preparations did you make for the winter/snow?
its not up to councils/the state to nanny you on the roads

I didnt mean that. I meant, instead of clearing the road to the tarmac, keep a surface layer of snow for chain use/snow socks.

Which reminds me:

"The socks should only be used when on snow, once the car is on a gritted tarmac road, the socks should be removed and stored in the car. "

So therefore is a layer of snow was kept, we would be able to use them without having to take them on and off.

I didnt mean that. I meant, instead of clearing the road to the tarmac, keep a surface layer of snow for chain use/snow socks.

Which reminds me:

"The socks should only be used when on snow, once the car is on a gritted tarmac road, the socks should be removed and stored in the car. "

So therefore is a layer of snow was kept, we would be able to use them without having to take them on and off.

so what about trucks,bikes,motorbikes etc ? tough luck for them?

Or are you thinking the council will provide everyone with a variety of options?
ploughing and gritting is a one size fits most solution
you are runinng summer tyres and now want a provision for running chains as it suits you.

When i go to italy skiing, everybody uses chains. Trucks etc have no problems. All im saying is that chains etc seem like a good idea. They are there to provide traction in snow, yet there are not used widely here.

Was just a suggestion.

Chill

When i go to italy skiing, everybody uses chains. Trucks etc have no problems. All im saying is that chains etc seem like a good idea. They are there to provide traction in snow, yet there are not used widely here.

Was just a suggestion.

Chill

Im chilled,but you seem to think chains should be issued by the state

or at the very least the roads be treated in a way that suits you
we get very little snow here in real terms
I say again,you are on summer tyres (not even all weather)and seems a surprise you are struggling in the snow

My dad has some v.expensive chains which come with a hub. You then fit this to the alloy wheel for the winter and makes fitting the chains minutes.

He was the only one at work last year :p

Anyway, im certainly gonna invest in some winter tyres for the end of this year.

Andy did you but yours brand new??

Yes i got mine new but at the time the GP wasn't very old so second hand parts were hard to come by that said i really didn't fancy a second hand set steelies off an accident damaged car..

As for the tyres i got them new too lots of second hand ones BUT they are often about 4mm (guess why......... In Germany and other member states winter tyres become illegal at <4mm. )

hence they all end up here

again you dont know the tyres history

i got my rims from shop4parts (had no other choice but there service was as good as always)

and the tyres from Mytyres

this year i "had" to buy wheel trims opted for evo ones again from shop 4 parts

Your handbook lists what is acceptable size wise

(175/65r15 84t ) rim spec in gp FAQ (applicable for the 1.2 and 1.4 8v gp)

i had no issues with the insurance company (as i knew the law and gave it to the call centre worker who immediately put me on to a manager and was plane sailing)

Last edited:
Im chilled,but you seem to think chains should be issued by the state

or at the very least the roads be treated in a way that suits you
we get very little snow here in real terms
I say again,you are on summer tyres (not even all weather)and seems a surprise you are struggling in the snow

Was just a suggestion. Thought it may be cheaper than ploughs etc.

Apologies

Which is why i mentioned roads could just be left with surface snow for the chains to work.

Clearly what i suggested is probs a bad idea, but at the same time, i dont think the existing methods work or are not employed in the most effective manner.

Which is why i mentioned roads could just be left with surface snow for the chains to work.

Clearly what i suggested is probs a bad idea, but at the same time, i dont think the existing methods work or are not employed in the most effective manner.

What about disabled drivers? How would they put snow chains on?

Snow chains are around £35 each (first pair I found), times that by 31,035,791 for the number of cars in the UK in April 2010, and thats £1,086,252,685.

No idea what it costs to grit/snow plow roads, but can't see it being anywhere near £1 billion.

Write to your local MP if you feel that its not done right.

I was always lead to believe that chains could only be used on something like 3" of compacted snow (like you get in places where you go skiing), anything less was frowned upon. It is also possible for chains to break & worse case, flail the heck out of your pride & joy.
BTW, my snow socks say you can drive up to 30mph on tarmac & have done me proud for the past 4 or so years, being slipped on and off a few times in one season and certainly handy for getting off my estate - driving a mile or so down a cleared road then negotiating the incline of the snowy supermarket car park. They don't wear like tyres as long as you don't spin the wheels on tarmac.

Back