cab1.JPG

Scudo Scudo 'it's not just a van' build diary.

Introduction

OK - I hate the term 'surf van' - but this is kind of what this van is going to end up as.

But rather than JUST being that, it's also my daily drive and needs to do all the other stuff that vans are good at - like tip runs!

Anyway - it's a 2002, ex council van with 43k on the clocks - a few light scrapes, but overall in great nick :

exterior1.JPG

exterior2.jpg

cab1.JPG

Whirly roof thingy is an added bonus to keep the air circulating - especially when I sleep in the van! :

exterior3.JPG

The back originally looked like this :

rear110.JPG

The ply lining kit was first to go :

rear22.JPG

rear31.JPG

Closely followed by the bulkhead - and then a quick clean :

rear41.JPG

rear61.JPG

rear51.JPG

Next to go (for now) was the cab headlining :

roof1.JPG

"Flashband" added to reduce panel vibration (cheap alternative - but effective) - can't beleive there's NO sound deadening at all in these vans! :

roof21.JPG

Foil backed bubble wrap is my first insulation layer - reflects the heat both ways to keep the van cooler in summer and warmer in winter - tried and trusted!

roof3.JPG

Whilst I'm waiting on a full-length rear headlining, I've just added the "Flashband' :

roof4.JPG

Next to come out were the front seats (with one bolt taking longer than the rest combined, in true DIY style) :

cabfloor1.JPG

With the floor up, more "Flashband" applied :

cabfloor2.JPG

And finally given a good clean :

cabfloor3.JPG

That's about all for now. I'm waiting on some rear plastics out of a combi, plus the rear headlining.

Once the van is fully "Flashbanded" and insulated, I'll start with the cosmetics.

The headlining (front and back) will be getting a complete re-trim in something bright.

The plastics will either be getting just a good clean, painted or re-trimmed, depending on how good they are.

The remaining metalwork will be getting fully carpeted.

A ply floor will be going back in, covered in black Altro flooring and I'll be making a rear-facing seat / storage box that converts into a bed.

I'll add to this thread as I get things done........ :slayer:
Reactions: Onthemove
i think it needs cc'd bumpers and maybe mirrors

i like all the stickers,wasnt there one on the bonnet ?

The bonnet stickers got ditched, as my step-son got embarrassed by all the flowers (n)

As for colour-coding - nah! The van would be far too 'white' if I did that - I'll tidy up the bumpers at some point, but they're staying black/grey (y)

Not at all - but how's the Berlingo for getting your mast and stuff in? Or do you use a roof rack?

Its got a sealed back moulded in it, like a freezer box, so its hopeless at getting the gear in.
But its done 24k miles and its a 04plate, so its in great nick and i got it for a bargain.

masts and board goes on top, sails and booms just fit in the back. only takes 2mins to chuck the gear on the top so im in no rush to get a bigger van.

Its got a sealed back moulded in it, like a freezer box, so its hopeless at getting the gear in.
But its done 24k miles and its a 04plate, so its in great nick and i got it for a bargain.

masts and board goes on top, sails and booms just fit in the back. only takes 2mins to chuck the gear on the top so im in no rush to get a bigger van.

As long as it does what you need it to - then that's all that matters!

I ditched my VW T4 for the Scudo, as I was sick of the 'scene tax' that VWs attract - and this van has got 1/4 of the miles, is 5 years younger and STILL cost a grand less than I sold the T4 for - plus it does 25% more to the gallon and goes uphills without having to shift down a gear! :eek::eek:

I been looking for a van recently, keep being tempted by them T4's but they are 10 a dozen now. Want something that size though and am lost - i like the Vito but they are bit pricey for a van, it might be a merc but its still only a van :confused:

@ SoKal & Brooky: how long is the rear of your vans? i want something that can take a double matress and have small space left for storage or wood-burning stove - i have so far ignored vans this size as don't think they'll be big enough

I been looking for a van recently, keep being tempted by them T4's but they are 10 a dozen now. Want something that size though and am lost - i like the Vito but they are bit pricey for a van, it might be a merc but its still only a van :confused:

@ SoKal & Brooky: how long is the rear of your vans? i want something that can take a double matress and have small space left for storage or wood-burning stove - i have so far ignored vans this size as don't think they'll be big enough

I think you'll struggle with a wood burning stove as well as the bed mate - but this should give you an idea (IKEA double bed) :

bed5.JPG

Merc Vitos are rust buckets - I looked at them before getting my T4 and quickly decided against!

T4s and T5s fetch stupid money now (and it's getting worse, lots of people with more money than sense paying well over the odds for their 'VW Camper' in the hope that it'll make them instantly 'cool' :bang:), as do the parts to do anything to them, which is why I sold mine.

And despite what the VW lot will tell you, they're no more reliable than any other van of similar age!

Depending on what your budget is, there's all manner of vans around. Ex-lease vehicles direct from auctions are always available and you get the peace of mind of knowing the servicing has been done as part of the lease......

Hope you find something - and then you can get it converted!! (y)

Last edited:
Loving the project. I had an r plate scudo td about 11 years ago all carpeted out with a couch and fold away coffee table, a caravan fridge and outdoor shower, was great for transporting the motocrosser or jetski. used to go through engine mounts and sliding door locating pins and door handles like they were made of chocolate though.
A bit of matte black vinyl in the swage lines on the sliding doors to carry on the line of the door rails halps the looks a bit IMO

do you buy the flashbond & foilwrap in big rolls,as i am thinking taking the ply out of mine and put this on first for insulation,& noise reduction wot u think,and wot's the cost of materails (y)

do you buy the flashbond & foilwrap in big rolls,as i am thinking taking the ply out of mine and put this on first for insulation,& noise reduction wot u think,and wot's the cost of materails (y)

The flashband comes in a variety of widths and length rolls - and price will always depend on where you can get it from - ie a builders merchant or the local B&Q.

The foil rolls are pretty much the same price wherever though - about £15 a roll (2 rolls are plenty).

Overall, I wouldn't go OTT with the flashband, unless you're planning on some sort of mega sound install - doing it like I did is perfectly fine to cut down on drumming.

I think I went through about 3 rolls of the 250mm wide stuff (which was about a tenner a roll, I think) - which I just cut into thinner strips where needed with a Stanley knife.

So - overall, about £50 or £60 for the insulation and sound proof.

The other stuff you can use behind the boards is packing polystyrene - I just collect the stuff from anything I buy (I hoard all sorts of cack) - although big sheets of 25mm stuff can be bought from places likes Wickes for a couple of quid - works nearly as well as Kingspan but at a fraction of the cost.......

:D

hello, very interesting thread, i read it 2 times, there is a similar thing i want to do, please, could u explane how u took down the original cab headlinig, am a bit afraid not to break it somehow as i plan to put it back after insulation. thanks and good luck, hope to see more, it is great u come with photos, i'll try to do the same and share.

OK - quick update, but no pics for this, as there's nothing to take a piccy of!

Just had the van remapped - was 109 bhp and 185 lb/ft torque - is now at a claimed average of 132 bhp and 220 lb/ft. (y)

Now, figures are one thing (and only the torque figures interest me) but I can tell you it's now a bit lively to say the least!:slayer::slayer:

I always had a little chuckle when I 'surprised' cars off the line and you saw the looks on their faces being ragged off by 'white van man' - now the list of cars that I do this to has just increased hugely!

Childish I know, but just thought I'd share......

BTW - got the remap done by Gary from North Wales Performance Tuning - cracking bloke and he's done a stonking job - got a choice of balls out power map or economy map - guess which I chose?! :eek:(y):slayer:

http://www.northwalestuning.co.uk/

Hey, thats quite an impressive power increase.. What engine have you got in there?? I could really do with my 1868cc flat diesel pepping up a bit, she sometimes struggles when towing..........:eek:

Hey, thats quite an impressive power increase.. What engine have you got in there?? I could really do with my 1868cc flat diesel pepping up a bit, she sometimes struggles when towing..........:eek:

It's the 2.0 litre JTD - the 110 bhp version.

It was a cracking motor before - now it's even more so! (y) Early indications are that it might be a bit more fuel hungry, but I'm struggling to resist the temptation to get to the speed limit in a hurry.

Once that wears off, I should be almost back at normal MPG I reckon...... :)

Ahhh, the old magic turbo eh !!! Yeah they're definately the engine of choice. Unfortunately (for the time being at least!) i don't have "the choice" Are you aware of any mods to my engine to help with the 'Asthma' ??? thanks again....

Hi there Blu, sorry to go "off topic"....... my engine is the 1868cc (1.9d) non turbo diesel which can be a bit of a slug at times especially when towing. could do with it "pepping up" a bit if possible. Ta.

Back