cab1.JPG

Scudo Scudo 'it's not just a van' build diary.

Introduction

OK - I hate the term 'surf van' - but this is kind of what this van is going to end up as.

But rather than JUST being that, it's also my daily drive and needs to do all the other stuff that vans are good at - like tip runs!

Anyway - it's a 2002, ex council van with 43k on the clocks - a few light scrapes, but overall in great nick :

exterior1.JPG

exterior2.jpg

cab1.JPG

Whirly roof thingy is an added bonus to keep the air circulating - especially when I sleep in the van! :

exterior3.JPG

The back originally looked like this :

rear110.JPG

The ply lining kit was first to go :

rear22.JPG

rear31.JPG

Closely followed by the bulkhead - and then a quick clean :

rear41.JPG

rear61.JPG

rear51.JPG

Next to go (for now) was the cab headlining :

roof1.JPG

"Flashband" added to reduce panel vibration (cheap alternative - but effective) - can't beleive there's NO sound deadening at all in these vans! :

roof21.JPG

Foil backed bubble wrap is my first insulation layer - reflects the heat both ways to keep the van cooler in summer and warmer in winter - tried and trusted!

roof3.JPG

Whilst I'm waiting on a full-length rear headlining, I've just added the "Flashband' :

roof4.JPG

Next to come out were the front seats (with one bolt taking longer than the rest combined, in true DIY style) :

cabfloor1.JPG

With the floor up, more "Flashband" applied :

cabfloor2.JPG

And finally given a good clean :

cabfloor3.JPG

That's about all for now. I'm waiting on some rear plastics out of a combi, plus the rear headlining.

Once the van is fully "Flashbanded" and insulated, I'll start with the cosmetics.

The headlining (front and back) will be getting a complete re-trim in something bright.

The plastics will either be getting just a good clean, painted or re-trimmed, depending on how good they are.

The remaining metalwork will be getting fully carpeted.

A ply floor will be going back in, covered in black Altro flooring and I'll be making a rear-facing seat / storage box that converts into a bed.

I'll add to this thread as I get things done........ :slayer:
Reactions: Onthemove
could to same process be used for the roof lining?

Absolutely - there's all manner of material available. I just use carpet for the lining, as I find it gives a bit of warmth and doesn't take a whole lot of prep to look good, as it's quite thick.

But you can get foam-backed velour that is OEM headlining material, although being a foam back, it can be a bit trickier to trim with, as it shows up hand prints or anywhere you press too heavily!

Alternatives would include something like an acoustic cloth, which would be easy to stretch around compound curves and reasonably forgiving in terms of a novice getting a good finish.

Hope that helps (y)

And another update - I'll keep the descriptions brief!

Prior to carpetting the pillars and door surrounds, I used some 1/4 inch scrim foam to pad the metalwork a bit. It doesn't need to be all that neat - and remember, if you're adding another panel after this, allow for the thickness of the foam in your calculations!

final1.JPG

final2.JPG

After the scrim foam comes the carpet - I've gone for a two-tone effect - this is a lighter shade than the stuff from previous updates.

final3.JPG

final5.JPG

All the metalwork done!

final4.JPG

Next for the infills - I used the templates I'd taken ages over and went for some 6mm ply - these infills will be covered in the light grey, but this is just to see what they look like!

final7.JPG

final8.JPG

Even the jack storage area got some carpet!

final9.JPG

And the complete the look - something to tidy up the USB socket (as previosly promised) and to make a far better home for my sunglasses to live when I chuck them on the dashboard!

final10.JPG

(y)(y)

Sadly, these 'big' updates will soon be a thing of the past - as the interior is nearly finished!

Whilst it's great to get the work done, half the fun for me of owning a van is actually doing the conversion - and even blowing my own trumpet, I have to say I'm chuffed to bits with how this one turned out! :slayer:

I've covered the ply 'infills' with the same 1/4 inch scrim that's on the pillars, as I needed to create a bit of depth to get a really snug fit into the bodywork - and topped this off with the light grey carpet.

The rears are secured with plasterboard screws (they're black anodised, so look great) - as seen from the cab

final11.JPG

The sides are just a VERY snug fit - but will be getting secured at some point if needed!

final12.JPG

final14.JPG

View from the back

final13.JPG

And finally, bowing down the pressure from my step son (who hated the flowers) - I've covered the bonnet in vinyl. :rolleyes:

This has actually got me thinking that I might go all retro and do a vinyl roof too! :slayer:

final15.JPG

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve for the door metalwork on the inside and the alloys go on next Tuesday - but the jobs now are quite small and not really worthy of much of an update.

But if anything big changes, I'll add the details here! (y):D

Hiya mate, im loving this thread! Never seen this type of van with such a unique interior but it works really well!
I was wanting to re trim my headliner in my punto in a black suade but i wasnt sure how to go about it, and what products i would need like glue etc
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Back