cab1.JPG

Scudo Scudo 'it's not just a van' build diary.

Introduction

OK - I hate the term 'surf van' - but this is kind of what this van is going to end up as.

But rather than JUST being that, it's also my daily drive and needs to do all the other stuff that vans are good at - like tip runs!

Anyway - it's a 2002, ex council van with 43k on the clocks - a few light scrapes, but overall in great nick :

exterior1.JPG

exterior2.jpg

cab1.JPG

Whirly roof thingy is an added bonus to keep the air circulating - especially when I sleep in the van! :

exterior3.JPG

The back originally looked like this :

rear110.JPG

The ply lining kit was first to go :

rear22.JPG

rear31.JPG

Closely followed by the bulkhead - and then a quick clean :

rear41.JPG

rear61.JPG

rear51.JPG

Next to go (for now) was the cab headlining :

roof1.JPG

"Flashband" added to reduce panel vibration (cheap alternative - but effective) - can't beleive there's NO sound deadening at all in these vans! :

roof21.JPG

Foil backed bubble wrap is my first insulation layer - reflects the heat both ways to keep the van cooler in summer and warmer in winter - tried and trusted!

roof3.JPG

Whilst I'm waiting on a full-length rear headlining, I've just added the "Flashband' :

roof4.JPG

Next to come out were the front seats (with one bolt taking longer than the rest combined, in true DIY style) :

cabfloor1.JPG

With the floor up, more "Flashband" applied :

cabfloor2.JPG

And finally given a good clean :

cabfloor3.JPG

That's about all for now. I'm waiting on some rear plastics out of a combi, plus the rear headlining.

Once the van is fully "Flashbanded" and insulated, I'll start with the cosmetics.

The headlining (front and back) will be getting a complete re-trim in something bright.

The plastics will either be getting just a good clean, painted or re-trimmed, depending on how good they are.

The remaining metalwork will be getting fully carpeted.

A ply floor will be going back in, covered in black Altro flooring and I'll be making a rear-facing seat / storage box that converts into a bed.

I'll add to this thread as I get things done........ :slayer:
Reactions: Onthemove
can't say i've known anyone tune one tbh and wouldn't think there'd be alot of point either. Get yourself a turbo model is the best advice i can think of right now.

All the writeups I read before deciding which version to get said to avoid the 1.9 - so I did.

I guess it depends what you want out of a van - to me it has to be 'car' like - in that it needs to sit on the motorway at 70mph and not feel as though it's being thrashed - which is what my old T4 did, hence why I got rid of it.

Enjoying the thread! I also read that the 1.9td wasn't the one to go for. Mine (that I collected yesterday) looks just like yours (before all the custom work).

yeah that was what i was thinking, thus whats wrong with the 1.9jtd?!? I have a Stilo MW jtd (04 plate) and the engine is ace, never missed a beat and now got 150k miles on it. Yes i've had a few issues with the car but never with the engine, always electrical or something on the suspension. :confused:

Its light on fuel, even with my right foot (which is made of lead), pulls like a train no matter how much stuff you put in it, i've had 12 of them 100litre bags of bark in the back of the stilo, car was so low and was very scary on roundabouts and under braking but acceleration wise you couldn't tell there was anything in the car!

Last edited:
To my knowledge, the 1.9 Scudo engines are just the D - not a turbo - it pushes out 68 brake, which is kind of pants in anyone's book - and the TD, with 89 BHP, which is still kind of gutless - at least, up to 2004, when I think the 1.9TD was ditched, leaving just the 'D'

The only 'JTD' is the 2.0 - which is what mine is - only mine's now remapped to a claimed 132 bhp, although I've never had it on the rollers...... (y)

been waaay too long with no updates :(

Sorry mate - it's kind of 'don'e now - and I just use it as it is, save for throwing a single sofa bed in the back when I go away.

I do have a folding double seat that I might fit at some point - and I may swap the front seats for a nice pair of single Alfa seats, but right now I'm just enjoying using it.......

It's got plenty of grunt to embarrass a lot of rep-mobiles, still returns 43 mpg around town and does all I need it to do.

Maybe once the good weather comes back, I do some more ...... :)

Read this thread with great interest, I have a question if I may, I'm getting my van ply lined next month & am thinking of doing the flash banding & foilbacked bubble insulation before it is done, would you say it is worth doing as I'm also having a bulkhead fitted, it's really noisy so I'm finally getting it done after 2 years!
If so where did you buy the flash band & foil / bubble?
Thanks
Jim

i 'flashed' my dispatch prior to the insulation. Picked it up from my local diy shop. loads left but made a big difference.

Hi
Read through this conversion with interest. We have a 2008 lwb scudo that we will be using as a multi purpose vehicle, will be used as a camper from time to time. It's a 7 sweater with dark windows. I have bought an ikea sofa bed to fit in the back for our camping trips, thanks for that idea.

Hi, I came across this site whilst looking for a manual and saw this thread, so signed up to let you see what I did with my van however as a newbie im not able to add a direct link, so if you google the words.. 'rosemead picasa scudo' this should take you to my picture gallery.

I have been using it a lot in the last 12 months but it does seem that the extra weight has made the n/s/r spring sag (hence the need to find a manual).

I would suggest to anyone who is about to do a conversion to consider replacing / uprating the springs before they start.

cheers
terry

Back