Official Fiat Forum Fat Fighters Thread

Currently reading:
Official Fiat Forum Fat Fighters Thread

I wa fine until I stopped smoking 8 years ago, and I've pretty much put on half a stone a year since.

Great! dodge lung cancer and die of heart disease instead. Indeed I think the Type 2 Diabetes van has just pulled up to make a delivery.:bang:

Diets don't work for me, I can lose about 9lbs and then it stabilises and Gyms just bore me rigid.(n)

However, started cycling to work about 10 weeks ago (5.5 miles each way) and have lost 12 lbs. (y) (well before Xmas I had anyway).

Half a stone in a year isn't bad at all! I can put that on in a week if I'm not careful :LOL:.

Went to the gym today for the first time in a month...ran on the treadmill for a change, managed to do a mile in 12 minutes, need to get it down to around 9 minutes!

Had a bit of a relapse gym wise, put a couple of pounds on, but finally lost it! Lost a total of 2 and a half stone now! Half way there!

Big bump!

I've been getting there slowly with my weight loss, I now weigh 105.5kg/16 stone 8lbs, much better than 135.6kg/21 stone 5lbs I was around August time last year!

Body fat percentage has dropped from over 36% to 22%! Average for males is between 15% and 20% so nearly there!

Using a personal trainer twice a week, which has helped lots!

Also managed to get a copy of P90x, apparently it can get you ripped and what not in 90 days. Don't normally bother with the adverts I see late at night, but researched it and heard good things about it, didn't pay either so win win! Just waiting for my resistance bands to arrive before I can start using it!

Big bump!

I've been getting there slowly with my weight loss, I now weigh 105.5kg/16 stone 8lbs, much better than 135.6kg/21 stone 5lbs I was around August time last year!

Body fat percentage has dropped from over 36% to 22%! Average for males is between 15% and 20% so nearly there!

Using a personal trainer twice a week, which has helped lots!

Also managed to get a copy of P90x, apparently it can get you ripped and what not in 90 days. Don't normally bother with the adverts I see late at night, but researched it and heard good things about it, didn't pay either so win win! Just waiting for my resistance bands to arrive before I can start using it!

P90X is an awesome program! I've seen people not lose weight as such but lose fat and gain muscle. It's very hard work and you may feel like you can't do alot of the exercises to begin with (mostly bodyweight exercises) but stick with it and trust me, providing your diet is on track you will become a beast in 90 days time!

well when i was younger i used to be rather chubby/fat about 12stone with little muscle how ever ive slimmed down but gone up to 14 stone i done this over about 6 month period wrking my arse off eating pasta rice chicken kinda meals also protien shake.. there something thats quite newish out called jack3d and wow.. it gives you hell of alot of energy and you can work out and just keep workin with out feelin tired or pain its real good but comes with side effects if mixed with caffine/nicotien etc so be warned either way set yourself a goal for yourself and be determined anthing is possable saying that i havent done my weights for couple of months now and lost the flat belly :( so im starting kick boxing and doing alot of exersise to help me get through the armys fitness test :)

Yeah I've heard of jack3d, it's had loads of reviews and I have been considering buying it. Like some people in the thread I struggle to gain weight and have been slim for a good few years without gaining a pound (6'3" 145) but recently with eating whole foods and 3000+ calories a day I've gone upto 160 in 2 months.

P90X is an awesome program! I've seen people not lose weight as such but lose fat and gain muscle. It's very hard work and you may feel like you can't do alot of the exercises to begin with (mostly bodyweight exercises) but stick with it and trust me, providing your diet is on track you will become a beast in 90 days time!

Thats what I want to do, I'm at the top of the limit to apply for the Army, BMI is around 28 at the moment, which is the highest it can be, however they do allow up to 32 if you are into bodybuilding and what not (or rugby etc). Will be happy if I can get my body fat percentage down to around 15%, might get rid of my belly that doesn't want to go!

i had a go at the slimming world diet. used to weigh 14st 7, but after about 4 months i had dropped to 12st 4. now i try to balance myself out and stay somewhere between 12st 3 and 12st 7. aint easy tho. i put weight on easy.

God, I'm the same! Have to be so careful with what I eat, I can easily put a stone on in a week or two if I'm not careful! So hard to retrain your mind not to eat crap I've found!

Doesn't help that my sisters make cakes and what not a lot, but they can eat whatever they want and NEVER put weight on...even my step dad can at 47...will often eat a packet of biscuits at night by himself and nothing! ****** lol.

Sod it im gunna join you guys, im 20, weigh about 13 stone (182lb's or 82.5kg) and im 5ft 11". Ive downloaded myfitnesspal on my iPhone and have stuck in that I want to loose 2lb's a week. Its told me i should only have 1310 calories, its just after midday and ive got 640 remaining, not good!

Got a bicycle so will have to start using it. will go out and work a rout at the weekend and attempt to start monday!

Sod it im gunna join you guys, im 20, weigh about 13 stone (182lb's or 82.5kg) and im 5ft 11". Ive downloaded myfitnesspal on my iPhone and have stuck in that I want to loose 2lb's a week. Its told me i should only have 1310 calories, its just after midday and ive got 640 remaining, not good!

Got a bicycle so will have to start using it. will go out and work a rout at the weekend and attempt to start monday!
that dont sound too bad, should be in the "heathy" bmi range. im ~12 1/2 stone and 6ft 1 with a bmi of ~ 22.
from the sounds of it, its not a case of weight loss but toning up instead.

Whats your MFP name thingy? I'm on there as well.

Try not to rely on BMI too much as it doesnt account for muscle mass. For example someone may have a BMI of 30 but be all muscle (bodybuilders etc). It's better to buy a set of scales that also measure body fat %. Argos do a decent set that measure all sorts like BMI, BMR, body fat etc.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/8313892/Trail/searchtext>SCALES.htm

Definately a worthwhile investment for both weight loss and weight gain.

thought id chime in a bit here...was over weight for many years...couple o years ago decided to hit the gym with the help of a couple o mates...went well, body shape changed allot... Weight stayed the same lol

for about a year (last year) i got lazy, nd pretty much all of my hard earned muscle turned into fat...became lethargic...body weight stayed the SAME

5 months ago i started the gym HARD again....been going 5 days a week 3 days weight training 2 days cardio...body weight still pretty much the SAME

and its paying off. can now do 60 press ups and almost 20 pull ups...(couldn't do 1 4 months ago) and dead-lift 130kg

bit of info...im 21 and weigh 14st @ 6ft 1....can now run 5k in 25mins ;)

if you push till you feel like your gonna die...you WILL progress lol...just cant quite understand how my body weight doesn't fluctuate!

Its freeboski

Think my issue is the fat sits in lame places, ive got a 36" waste (might be 38" now :() I do need more excersise. bout all is get is when i walk to my car :p

I'm the same, my waist is currently 37" or 38", just doesn't seem to go down, chest and hips are a little, but waist? Not a chance!

I decided to get some before and after photos, the first one was taken around the middle of August 2010, when I weighed around 21 stone 5 lbs.

me2js.png

And this is one taken earlier today, 5 stone lighter at 16 stone 5 lbs.

imag0028ox.jpg

Well i went to play squash today with my mate, managed to keep going for 40 mins, surprised myself there. could keep going but thought i'd better not kill myself first time round! bout 700 calories burned off :)

Congrats on the stamina...comes in handy.

Its not how many calories you burn that counts it's where they come from. You could burn 700 calories in 20 minutes but they would have come from carb stores. It takes around 30-40 minutes for your energy systems to shift completely over to your fat stores but since you went for 40 minutes it's it a problem.

It's a misconception that irritates me as someone interested in health and well being - 'oh I ran for 15 minutes really fast and burned 850 calories off' yeah...not fat. Then people wonder why they don't lose weight! Haha.

Anyway, like I say not a problem for you :)

Rant over :)

true...but not 100% accurate....

Ever heard of HIIT? I used HIIT to shift some weight and get allot fitter.

On principle you go for a maximum of 15mins.
Example on treadmill:
first of all find your max. speed on treadmill
then you run at 70%-80% of that for one minute, then one minute at about 40%-50%...
and keep cycling this for 15 mins (will feel "easy" initially but at like 10 mins you start to feel dead)

for progression, chuck in a gradient on the run, then up each speed by the same % increase....you will see a dramatic increase in fitness using this method (well proven with studies if anyone wants to look them up)

Whilst you are doing this 15 mins of cardio, granted you wont be burning much if any fat INITIALLY but you do this just three times a week and it sends your metabolism up, causing you to burn fat throughout the day in general activities...IMHO more useful than 45 mins fat burning here and there that will have little or no effect on metabolism.

As they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating :p

I can tell you from personal experience....it works

But well done, i once tried to play squash....was never any good :(

EDIT:
Should've mentioned, HIIT stands for 'High Intensity Interval Training"

Last edited:
I tried this too, dropped 6Kg of fat in just a few weeks.

I also used "Zero Highs Electrolyte Sports Drink" before/during workout, i read it was proven to increase fat burning by 40%, and i felt like it really helped me.

Also throwing in a well tailored resistance workout once a week, or straight after every cardio can really help too.

"Wayne Westcott, Ph.D. conducted a study in which 72 over weight individuals participated in an eight week exercise program. The participants were placed in two groups. The first group performed 30 minutes of endurance exercise on a stationary cycle. The second group performed only 15 minutes of exercise on the stationary cycle plus an additional 15 minutes on weight resistant exercises. At the conclusion of the study, the "endurance only" group lost a total of 3.5 lbs.; 3 lbs. of which was fat and a half pound was muscle loss. On the other hand, the "endurance and weight resistive" group lost 8 lbs. with an actual fat loss of 10 lbs. and an increase of 2 lbs. of lean body weight."

...took this from an external site, it explains it better than i can.

Back