Technical New gearbox only 4 years old!!!

Currently reading:
Technical New gearbox only 4 years old!!!

How easy is it to flush the fluid in the clutch hydraulic system?

I've previously described how I did it here.

The procedure is straightforward but access to the slave cylinder is obstructed by the battery & battery carrier. You can do the flush without touching the battery if you don't mind working blind; moving the airbox to one side helps considerably. Study carefully the photo showing the bleed tube in position. You'll need a 4mm allen key for the bleed screw. It's easy to make a mess so protect the area round the slave cylinder with rags as best you can, and wash it thoroughly with soapy water afterwards to get rid of any fluid that might have spilt.

Last edited:
I've previously described how I did it here.

The procedure is straightforward but access to the slave cylinder is obstructed by the battery & battery carrier. You can do the flush without touching the battery if you don't mind working blind; moving the airbox to one side helps considerably. Study carefully the photo showing the bleed tube in position. You'll need an allen key for the bleed screw. It's easy to make a mess so protect the area round the slave cylinder with rags as best you can, and wash it thoroughly with soapy water afterwards to get rid of any fluid that might have spilt.
Cool :) Have done about 9k already since my service in April so I'm going to do my first self service :)

Will axle stands be enough to get under the car to change the oil filter or is it best to get a set of ramps?

Will axle stands be enough to get under the car to change the oil filter or is it best to get a set of ramps?

Axle stands (actually just one axle stand) will suffice. You only need jack up the offside front of the car to slightly less than the height you'd need to change a wheel. :).

Oil change procedure here, though you probably won't need it ;).

Last edited:
Axle stands (actually just one axle stand) will suffice. You only need jack up the offside front of the car to slightly less than the height you'd need to change a wheel. :).

Oil change procedure here, though you probably won't need it ;).
Always good to see a run through of things before you do it :) Got some filters on the way, just need to get some plugs, a tool for the oil filter and for the sump plug and then some axle stands :)

:yeahthat:

Many premature synchro failures are the result of dodgy clutch hydraulics. I've said it before, but it's cheap insurance to change the clutch fluid every 2 years when you do the brakes. My clutch fluid was shot after a year. And don't continue to drive any distance if you notice the clutch starting to drag.

The system on RHD 500's looks more like an afterthought than a deliberate act of design. Give me a cable clutch any day. At least they fail outright, which protects the 'box from those 'carry on regardless' drivers.

Since the 6 speed gearbox is the same as the 5 speed C514 (except for the extra cog) on the petrol models I wonder if these failures are down to clutch fluid not being changed ? There have been the 'odd one or two' on the MiTo 1.4 NA. IIRC there was no mention in the service schedule about changing the clutch fluid except for 'topping up'.

Aside from possible 'hard use' of the OPs 500 I wonder if the fact that the car was possibly 'lying up' for a period of time explain the premature failure given the low mileage.

Given the number of failures of the M32 on the 6 speed gearbox on the other models in the Fiat range your advice on changing the clutch fluid would seem a good preventative measure. Their 2nd gear goes first.

Back