Technical 1.2 gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 gearbox

EvoBoy918

i have a 2016 fiat 500 1.2, thew gearbox went so I purchased a recon box. when purchasing it the supplier spoke of two different ratios for the 1.2, have you heard of this before? he supplied me a gearbox which was geared to high, (riving high in 5 gear at 50mph) I removed the box ands replaced with a second box (my original gearbox re conditioned ) at it is running back how it was. Had he simply made a mistake putting in the wrong ratios or is there in fact two internal specs for the 1.2. Thank you

i have a 2016 fiat 500 1.2, thew gearbox went so I purchased a recon box. when purchasing it the supplier spoke of two different ratios for the 1.2, have you heard of this before? he supplied me a gearbox which was geared to high, (riving high in 5 gear at 50mph) I removed the box ands replaced with a second box (my original gearbox re conditioned ) at it is running back how it was. Had he simply made a mistake putting in the wrong ratios or is there in fact two internal specs for the 1.2. Thank you
Hi never heard this mentioned before on a petrol 1.2 , however there must be different ratio gearboxes out there as the 1.3 diesel are geared different and run a higher ratio than the 1.2 giving lower revs at motorway speeds!- but this does not explain what you had happen with HIGHER revs at speed which implies lower gearing! maybe some one with better knowledge might chip in on this!.

@EvoBoy918 sorry I've only just seen your post...

There is certainly more than one spec of gearbox fitted to the 1.2 FIRE

I'll see if I can find a thread on the Panda mk3 pages where someone fitted a box from a 1.2 Grande Punto.

Externally the same, but final drive was very different for the heavier GP so they had similar issues to you.

Iis only an educated guess and a bit of hear-say,
but it might have something to do with the vvt model and the non vvt model difference.
Im told that the ratio is shorter for the none vvt model. Because it has less power.

My guess is you have a 1.2 vvt,
And that gearbox is from the slower 1.2 none vvt

I could be wrong though

There is certainly more than one spec of gearbox fitted to the 1.2 FIRE
There is, but I don't think there's more than one spec of gearbox fitted to that engine when used in the 500.
And that gearbox is from the slower 1.2 none vvt
If it is, it's not a 500 gearbox. The 500 has had the vvt engine since launch.
but it might have something to do with the vvt model and the non vvt model difference.
This is a red herring. There has never been a non-vvt 1.2 500. And in the 1.2 Panda 169, which was produced in both vvt & non-vvt forms, they both have the same gear ratios.

There's some more information on gearbox ratios in this post.

I'm thinking the OP was initially supplied with a 'box from a 1.1 FIRE (as used in some of the more basic versions of the Panda).

Last edited:
This was it fitted to the car, I removed it after a week as it was asking is to shift up when we were in 5tn, but also reving high - it wouldn’t make it to 70

Attachments

• c71c9c33-3586-4053-aaa9-9c7712e17365.mp4
    11.1 MB
Back