General Gearbox leak!

Currently reading:
General Gearbox leak!

RMVS

Hello,

Just done a clutch change on a Fiat 500 1.2 year 2010. Unfortunately now got a leak from driveshaft. Usually this happens on passenger side and I just replace the plate that has 4 bolts however, there is no plate on drivers side.

Please see picture attached. Can this seal come out and be replaced on drivers side. It feels fine I can’t feel any obvious breaks but it is defo leaking from drivers side.

Attachments

• 1EAE94C5-EE63-4C70-B132-2B09E7804B45.jpeg
    1EAE94C5-EE63-4C70-B132-2B09E7804B45.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
Just had a look in the haynes manual and unfortunately it dont say one way or another! however its just a seal and can be easily removed with a seal picker or self taping screws etc!.
Best thing- contact your local fiat spares department and see if its availible as a spare part ! i am sure it will, be!.
Once old one out its simple enought to drift In the new one! make sure its well lubed, the right way round ,correct size drift ,etc etc !-worth a go as you have it all apart anyway dont you think! make sure the shaft is clean and no rough edges in the sealing area!.
hope it works! post results for us to see good luck!

Just had a look in the haynes manual and unfortunately it dont say one way or another! however its just a seal and can be easily removed with a seal picker or self taping screws etc!.
Best thing- contact your local fiat spares department and see if its availible as a spare part ! i am sure it will, be!.
Once old one out its simple enought to drift In the new one! make sure its well lubed, the right way round ,correct size drift ,etc etc !-worth a go as you have it all apart anyway dont you think! make sure the shaft is clean and no rough edges in the sealing area!.
hope it works! post results for us to see good luck!
Thanks for reply. Wee update. Dingbro sent a seal down that is apparently for the car so I started trying to chisel out the old seal. As I was doing it I realised there was just a thin rubber layer then metal so I have cleaned up the area and the new seal just sits in. It’s not a tight fit but assuming I could sit it in with some gasket sealer round edge and obviously the drive shaft would hold it in.

The problem we have is we buy cars from auction so don’t know who in the past has had parts off and possibly removed or damaged the seal etc I certainly don’t remember seeing it come out when doing clutch.

Pictures attached

Attachments

• FD7A8DDC-3ADA-41DA-A5CC-EFA26C10319F.jpeg
    FD7A8DDC-3ADA-41DA-A5CC-EFA26C10319F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • D3795622-D9EC-4DEA-9B77-4CCCB7CCB554.jpeg
    D3795622-D9EC-4DEA-9B77-4CCCB7CCB554.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 2FF77E3F-EE0B-4189-AD71-56DB68F6069D.jpeg
    2FF77E3F-EE0B-4189-AD71-56DB68F6069D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 55504521-23FB-4EC1-8EBE-64EDD25FDDF2.jpeg
    55504521-23FB-4EC1-8EBE-64EDD25FDDF2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
It should be a tight fit or the oil will just seep out again.
The driveshaft shouldn't be relied on to hold it in either, there's no real force from the driveshaft.

It should be a tight fit or the oil will just seep out again.
The driveshaft shouldn't be relied on to hold it in either, there's no real force from the driveshaft.
Yes, after a further clean I put it in and it pushes in to a nice fit. The rubber I peeled off was the inside of the old one. The rest must have disintegrated over time. The car was probably a few hundred miles away from running on a dry gearbox!

Would you still put a thin layer of gasket sealer round the seal or just in as it is?

Cheers

Old age + hot &cold cycling de-laminates them as they harden!- good to get the job done though! .
They were not put together with sealant went built so dont really see the need for it now! other than the ol "mental backstop" it provides!

Back