General Gearbox leak

Currently reading:
General Gearbox leak

turgold

Hi Everyone, my wife's Fiat 500 1.2 petrol convertable has started to leak gearbox oil from the end casing on the gearbox. The casing seems to be rusting on the outside and starting to perforate, probably due to the close proximity to the nearside wheel and the debis that would throw up. . I cannot seem to find a new casing or a second hand replacement and I wondered if anyone has had this problem before and how they resolved it. Ideally if someone has a Fiat part number or knows where to source one that would be great. Thanks, Peter

Attachments

• gearbox end case.jpg
    gearbox end case.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
That's the first time I've seen that issue I have to say, makes me think I should check ours, any other members, should there be a plastic inner wing cover over that area, can't remember?
Your options could be dealer part or try the Fiat people on Ebay club italia or something perhaps there's a wrecked gearbox to take it off?

There has been an occasional report of this end cap failure, but not common.
Firstly, clean it off and ensure it is porous. It seals with RTV sealant, which may have failed, but more likely, there could be aleak from the selector mechanism above, and the oil is seeping down. That area is more common to leak.
If a new cover is needed, despite being used on most small Fiats for many years, the part number seems to have changed a few times.
Originally: 55189227
Then: 7702490
Now: 55283585
Not plentiful on Google. Prices varying, but looks like around £60 new.
Options could be local dealer, or ask Shop4parts, they can usually get stuff, and will quote price and timescale. https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/

Thank you everyone for your input, it is definately porous, probably due to a lack of inner splash guard to protect it. I will chase up a new one now that I have the Fiat part number.

Back