Reality check..

This motor is @£800 and needs work..
Maybe head.off inspection and new timing kit

These 1242 for the 500 seem to be @£250 from writeoffs

You will spend the same on timing kit.. add 1 sump pan

Your 500 isnt likely to wear out a 2nd motor..another 60+ thousand miles

Or.. just fit a new head to yours..

Choices :)
Initially when I spotted it I was thinking 0 miles, drop it in, simple life.
but the age thing brought me here to ask advice and opinions.

the big turn off for me is if you put this in to find out in a month or two the valve stem seals are solid from age and your using oil again.
its certainly not the easy fix it looked initially.

I'm struggling to pick up a second hand engine surprisingly enough.

so I think the best plan now is to go back to the start, get the original engine out strip it and see exactly how much work it needs and take it from there

Buy it, drive it over, (not as an import), strip it
Wasn’t that a way 30+ years ago, wehn Eire used cars were expensive, so they’d come to Britain, buy a used car same colour and year, take it back, swap plates…or is that an urban myth?

Buy it, drive it over, (not as an import), strip it
Wasn’t that a way 30+ years ago, wehn Eire used cars were expensive, so they’d come to Britain, buy a used car same colour and year, take it back, swap plates…or is that an urban myth?
I couldnt possibly comment on behavior like that :ROFLMAO:

but it was amazing how many cars here were upgraded to "face lift versions" or trim levels over night;)

I can see it now on the way over to collect a car the same as what have.
stopped getting off the boat "excuse me sir, why do you have a set of fiat 500 number plates in your bag" :ROFLMAO:

I got the stamped engine number, 350A1000 confirming it us indeed a 1.4.
IMG-20230624-WA0006.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• IMG-20230624-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230624-WA0006.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 29
Just a quick update, I got the engine out and this what I found.

20230625_163436.jpg
20230625_213959.jpg
20230625_185041.jpg

What caused the engine mounting points to break? Did the bolts become loose? Or were disturbed at some time and replaced with incorrect length ones?
I trying to figure out what caused them to break
the threads were stripped in the two bottom holes.
one bolt was missing but the remaining ones were the correct length.
we've had it almost 4 years and in that time those bolts havent been touched

does anyone know if the head or complete engine from a 2010 1.2 ford ka would work in the 500

does anyone know if the head or complete engine from a 2010 1.2 ford ka would work in the 500
Cross referencing the part numbers would be my first call…it works with the Fiat/PSA vans (ducato/qubo etc)

Cross referencing the part numbers would be my first call…it works with the Fiat/PSA vans (ducato/qubo etc)
Ford use their own part numbers. I have a Ford parts lookup from around 2016, and they list one head right through, no changes, but there's nothing that would cross-refer to Fiat.
I doubt there would be any differences, Ford do not like spending money unless absolutely necessary, so doubtful they'd make minor changes to the expensive cylinder head.

Ford use their own part numbers. I have a Ford parts lookup from around 2016, and they list one head right through, no changes, but there's nothing that would cross-refer to Fiat.
I doubt there would be any differences, Ford do not like spending money unless absolutely necessary, so doubtful they'd make minor changes to the expensive cylinder head.
On the Ford Ka forum they list Fiat part numbers for the parts their dealers have trouble getting…I only know as had a friend who bought one as ‘they wouldn’t have a Fiat as their unreliable’ DONT ASK, I tried to explain (they now have a aygo that I keep calling a Peugeot ‘cause I’m evil)

Back