network Switch

Currently reading:
network Switch

psychofox

Legend
Hi guys,

I have a 50 meg internet connection.

I need a switch.

Should I get a 10/100 switch or a Gigabit switch?

Arc cheers!

Thats the exact same one I was looking at!!

Out of interest, would I see a slow down if i used a 10/100 version?

Do you have a 50mbit capable router?

If this is virginmedia, then the router is built into the superhub, and you get 4 gigabit ports on the rear of the device, but the superhub is a very cheap device, and you would get better performance (especially from the wireless side) by putting it in modem-mode and using a separate router.

Do you have a 50mbit capable router?

If this is virginmedia, then the router is built into the superhub, and you get 4 gigabit ports on the rear of the device, but the superhub is a very cheap device, and you would get better performance (especially from the wireless side) by putting it in modem-mode and using a separate router.

It is Virgin, dont think it is a 'superhub' though, the modem and router are seperate devices.
I have noticed that the router is a bit pants, ports light up when there is nothing conected in the port :confused:

It is Virgin, dont think it is a 'superhub' though, the modem and router are seperate devices.
I have noticed that the router is a bit pants, ports light up when there is nothing conected in the port :confused:

I didn't think Virgin offered 50mbit cable without a 'super'hub.

What model router are you using? It might be that you can't use the full 50mbit if the router can't route fast enough!

Update.

Router broke down, Virgin sent our a new one. its a D Link dir-615, seems to be about half the size of the old router.
The modem is an Ambit EO8c015.01 (or so it says underneth it).

I bought the gigabit switch, it works likea charm.

Back