Network issue!

Currently reading:
Network issue!

I will try that mate...if i can remember how.

But first, just from a non-technical POV, could it not be more network detection related/software?

If im honest, I wasn't aware of two network devices, but yeah they're obviously there and are present in device manager.

Just something else, earlier (within XP) I lost internet connection both physically (homehub showed error) and on the PC for about 10 mins. Im beginning to sway towards a HomeHub problem for both problems...I had my netgear running for 3+ years with zero problems..not even one outage

bit more info, next to useless I know, but its too late for config changing tonight.

network.PNG
one of the adapters is not connected and never has been, therefore only one reall exists

error.PNG
microsoft's quick diag

Its interesting that it wont work with windows 7, I would have thought its some strange piece of software on the Win 7 box or firewall type software, as your initial output had an ip address and looked to be connected fine...

Have you tried to ping anything?

Also quick note, it seems you are using the 2nd NIC port on your PC as your main connection..... Try swapping the cable to the 1st one and seeing if that changes anything.....

Last edited:
Also quick note, it seems you are using the 2nd NIC port on your PC as your main connection..... Try swapping the cable to the 1st one and seeing if that changes anything.....

:yeahthat:

Has your motherboard actually got 2 NIC's?

Windows XP seems to be showing 1NIC. Windows 7 is showing 2!

I'd be tempted to uninstall them from Device manager (make sure both are gone) and then re-detect hardware (with latest drivers).

okay tried a few things, not sure if done right though. Rebooted after every change.

1. ping

ping.PNG

2. reinstalled network device, now 7 is using connection 1 rather than 2:

previous network.PNG now network 2.PNG

3. nslookup (didnt know how to do this)

nslookup.PNG

4. changed tcp/ip and other settings:

tcp_ip.PNG
settings.PNG

Result of setting changes:

dns_notresponding.PNG

5. reset tcp/ip stack - no change.

6. disabled mcafee network agent & firewall core service within msconfig - no change

7. updated network adapter drivers - no change

Last edited:
'system restore' is a microsoft system tool not a switch dude. I haven't enabled it since installing win7 therefore can't use it.

pinged the gateway 192.168.1.254 - no response still. switched to other LAN port on PC - still same

flushed dns and arp cache - no change

changed port on homehub -m no change

Last edited:
Can you ping the default gateway?

edit: just read last post.

I'm going to go with there being an issue with being a DHCP client and dual booting. It should handle a simple DHCP request from the same MAC but you never know.

Have you tried anything at the router end? Restarting between OSs/Firmware flashing etc?

Last edited:
Back