what type of network do I have?

Currently reading:
what type of network do I have?

I changed my router last night for a new one, and I am trying to set up the computers and wireless printer. I have a Virgin cable modem and Netgear router and my computers link to them wirelessly. Is this an ad hoc network?

No, it isn't a ad-hoc network because presumably you are connecting via the router. You have an infrastructure network.
OK thanks. When Mrs Codger comes home she will greet me with those famous words -"why didn't you leave the old router ?" Fact was it kept losing signal so I had to change it.The reason why I am asking is because I am struggling to get my Samsung wireless printer to work. It has a WPS button on it, but that doesn't seem to want to help to connect to the router. So I have done it manually. I managed to get it to connect once this morning. But, on the old router I also used a network cable permanently fixed between the printer and the router, to stop it from going off line. So today, I just got it set up wirelessly, but when I added the network cable the printer immediately lost its wireless connection and I can't print to it. And I can't get it back again. It's driving me round the bend! This is worth my new subs to FF alone if anyone can guide me through what I am doing wrong ! I tried Samsung and the guy there said he could get somebody to call me back - on Monday!
Any advice gratefully received.

Tried doing a factory reset on the Samsung printer - then let it connect to the new wireless network using whatever SSID and security that you have in place?

Tried doing a factory reset on the Samsung printer - then let it connect to the new wireless network using whatever SSID and security that you have in place?
That's what I've just done.Basically totally re-installed the printer. I have now managed to get one computer printing OK, wirelessly, but not the other one. Working on the theory that the computer may be blocking it , but I am sure that can be sorted.
The question now is, dare I plug the network cable back in again and risk losing it again? Does anybody know whay that would happen? If it was a direct cable from the computer to the printer, I could understand it, but this is printer to router.

I agree it seems strange, but it was suggested to me by a Samsung engineer to add the network cable from printer to router. The reason was because if the printer times out in power saving mode, then it wouldn't find the network again when you powered it back up, so you had to restart the printer a few times before it re-connected. Also the quality of the printing has been more consistent since using a network lead to the router.

Thanks guys. I will leave it tonight. I don't want to b*gger it up again and have Mrs Codger on my case!
In the morning I will plug the network cable back in and leave it at that.

I am still struggling with this. If have tried to do the decent thing and get a pro to come and have a look, but he's not picking up his phone :(
Anyway, if I try all over again and go down the rout of "add printer", is a printer that is connected to the router classed as a "local" printer or a "network" printer? I am guessing it's a
"network" printer?
If I am connecting the printer to the router, does the ip address of the printer have to match up with the computer, or is that irrelevant if a network cable is being used?

It's a network printer, local is when it is attached directly to your PC/laptop.
Any decent router will assign IP addresses automatically (using DHCP), if 2 devices have the same IP address then they will not be able to communicate, DHCP prevents this from happening.

I have noticed on the printer config report it is on Static assignment. What's my best plan now do you think? I don't mind un-installing and re-installing all over again, but unless I change something I am sure I am going to end up in the same place as now - that is, the printer will only work when connected directly by USB.

Do you mean on the printer or on the router?
The printer is a Samsung CLP 325W
The router is a Netgear WNR 2000 Wireless N router
I have XP on one computer snd Vista on the laptop.
I can log on to the router via the internet, and I think I can also log on to the printer in the same way.

Sorry, I meant the printer. So in the network config (of the printer) you need to set it to "DHCP IP assignment" which should then let the router assign the IP address automatically, setting it into the same domain as the rest of the network and making it visible to your PCs.

OK, that worked thanks! I have changed the printer setting to DHCP and one computer is able to print to it wirelessly. On the laptop it is still showing the printer as being off-line though.

Back