Network Content Filter

Currently reading:
Network Content Filter

So this is for those running a Windows Server of sort.

I have SBS 03 running 10 Onsite Desktops. I also have 1 offsite desktop and 4 Laptops.

I am after a program for the server that allows me to control the web content seen and also log all the content that is seen.

I Also would like to be able to control the times these are enforced and which users can and cant see different sites.

J

What router are you using?

Easiest and simplest way is to put a device in-between the server and the router such as a dedicated hardware firewall such as a Sonicwall, NetScreen. You can then enable site filtering and also enable site hits reporting.

Or if your feeling hardcore there's a bootable linux distro with built in easy to configure firewall which will run on near enough anything with two NIC's (1 to go to Router "WAN" 1 to go to switch "LAN"). A good recommended one for this job would be http://www.smoothwall.org/

I am currently running ISDN30 that runs the net through a Bt Business Hub. This si attached to a Cisco UC500 with all the bells and whistles and i dont like it :D!

I have applied for some call backs on the Hardware side but i am especially interested in Software ones. I tried a trial of one alonog time ago and it worked flawlessly and was easy to use but i have forgotten what its called :(.

Dont think id go the linux route tbh. Want something simple and easy to maintain.

Does the SBS act as a gateway, i.e does all net traffic go through it?
If so you can turn it into a proxy server to screen all content/log requests etc.

If you have a static IP (I'm assuming the BT hub does Natting) then you could achieve some filtering through your dns service. Something like opendns would allow you so block certain categories of sites and dictate individual blocked addresses.

Last edited:
I am currently running ISDN30 that runs the net through a Bt Business Hub. This si attached to a Cisco UC500 with all the bells and whistles and i dont like it :D!

I have applied for some call backs on the Hardware side but i am especially interested in Software ones. I tried a trial of one alonog time ago and it worked flawlessly and was easy to use but i have forgotten what its called :(.

Dont think id go the linux route tbh. Want something simple and easy to maintain.

Ohh get you ya fancy bugger :nerner:

In that case get your ASDM (Really cool easy to use GUI) enabled on your UC500 If it isn't already ;). Your UC500 has the webfiltering capability built in it's just a case of licensing and weither your current one covers it (y). If it doesn't its a simple upgrade just need to call you local friendly cisco account manager :p

Last edited:
Ohh get your ya fancy bugger :nerner:

:ROFLMAO:

its not all that tbh. The only things i know about it is the stuff i learnt to be able to use it, maintain it and so on and also the fact that its stupidly over priced. :rolleyes:

In that case get your ASDM (Really cool easy to use GUI) enabled on your UC500 If it isn't already ;). Your UC500 has the webfiltering capability built in it's just a case of licensing and weither your current one covers it (y). If it doesn't its a simple upgrade just need to call you local friendly cisco account manager :p

Account manager? want to deal with mine for me? mines bt, they send me through to speak to the english who then refer me to india who i cannot understand at all! :bang:

Might have to find my self a new cisco supplier :rolleyes:

I completely understand your sentiment but its got built in wizards and you access it like a normal hardware firewall (all through a web interface). It's really cool, even if you just have a play with it at home :slayer:.

I might have a play with it, got a server and a few spare pcs at home (well in parts anyways :ROFLMAO:). I do like linux but i just want something easy to maintain.

More hardware = more issues.

No but it's free. However its gaining massive popularity and support very fast and as a result release are getting much more friendly and well developed. Take Ubuntu 10.4 for example, I'm quite an advanced linux user so nothing daunts me but it takes care of absolutely everything for you :D.

:ROFLMAO:

its not all that tbh. The only things i know about it is the stuff i learnt to be able to use it, maintain it and so on and also the fact that its stupidly over priced. :rolleyes:

Account manager? want to deal with mine for me? mines bt, they send me through to speak to the english who then refer me to india who i cannot understand at all! :bang:

Might have to find my self a new cisco supplier :rolleyes:

I might have a play with it, got a server and a few spare pcs at home (well in parts anyways :ROFLMAO:). I do like linux but i just want something easy to maintain.

More hardware = more issues.

Do you not have access to the device yourself? either through SSH / ASDM Gui?

Why not use ISA 2004, bit of a lengthy process configuring it, but it can filter and also log everything sent through the network. Plus other stuff as well...

Back