simple network?

Currently reading:
simple network?

2cp3ocm.jpg

ive got a problem with my home network :(
all i want do is connect the ps3 and my laptop to the internet at the same time.
the router is in the loft and my bedroom is downstairs at the back of the house. we currently have ONE ethernet cable running from the loft to my bedroom so i can only have the internet on one device. any ideas how to link them both up? i can't run another cable through the house, i can't move the router closer to my bedroom but ive got a couple of spare routers that can be used in my room.
im hoping there is a way to connect the router from the loft to a router in my room using the ethernet cable and then connect the 2 devices to the new router in my room.
help would muchly be appreciated! :y:

Powerline network is much more easily expandable and you get rid of teh 50m CAT5.

Why is it any more expandable than cabled networking? - Cables are more reliable. And it will only cost him about £15 to buy a simple switch.

Why is it any more expandable than cabled networking? - Cables are more reliable. And it will only cost him about £15 to buy a simple switch.
It's a lot easier to plug in another powerline adaptor than it is to put in a network port in the wall.

Get a switch, preferably netgear (much more reliable), plug it in and away you go. Steer clear of the powerline/ethernet mains way of networking, not very reliable and just not the best way of doing things. :)

Hi btw, I'm new as you can probably see, awesome forum! I have got a lot of help from reading all you guys posts!

Get a switch, preferably netgear (much more reliable), plug it in and away you go. Steer clear of the powerline/ethernet mains way of networking, not very reliable and just not the best way of doing things. :)

Hi btw, I'm new as you can probably see, awesome forum! I have got a lot of help from reading all you guys posts!
Powerline networks work just fine. Sure I wouldn't use them to network 2 PC's together where you require lots of bandwidth but for internet use they're fine.

but thats not the problem here is it!
I just didn't quite get the resistance to the whole powerline networking thing. Like I said it's easier to expand throughout the house as it comes with a 4 port hub in the kit.

but it's NOT easier, he has CAT5 running from top to bottom - it's not a case of missing backbone.

i'm not saying its no use in other setups.. just not here!

but it's NOT easier, he has CAT5 running from top to bottom - it's not a case of missing backbone.

i'm not saying its no use in other setups.. just not here!
You're missing the point though :)

It's no different in some ways to just placing a hub in the room EXCEPT it replaces the CAT5 backbone with a powerline backbone and also adds expandability as well.

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well or perhaps people don't understand the product but it's plenty of use here if perhaps a bit more expensive :)

Sure I could have suggested just a hub but whilst it'll do the job it won't do anything more than that in the future when it comes to wanting to have another PC in another room. Plus if the OP ever wants to use their PS3 or laptop in another room in the house he/she can do so without having to buy anything else.

wires are the win for an infrastructure and wireless supports it nicely.

i don't get why you are saying fit powerline kit, disregarding the current proper wired link just because it includes a 4 port HUB? Who the hell uses hubs these days anyway??

sticking a cheap cable router (linksys one i linked to, whack tomato on there) on the end of the cat5 link IS the best solution. It'll give him the option to connect more wired devices alongside the PS3 and also allow the use of wireless for the laptop as well as being around half the price.

Are you both saying that you'll sit there in the lounge or whatever with cable running from your laptop to the router? Regardless buying a second router over a powerline setup is still cheaper, and an easier way of solving the problem!

wires are the win for an infrastructure and wireless supports it nicely.

i don't get why you are saying fit powerline kit, disregarding the current proper wired link just because it includes a 4 port HUB? Who the hell uses hubs these days anyway??

sticking a cheap cable router (linksys one i linked to, whack tomato on there) on the end of the cat5 link IS the best solution. It'll give him the option to connect more wired devices alongside the PS3 and also allow the use of wireless for the laptop as well as being around half the price.

Are you both saying that you'll sit there in the lounge or whatever with cable running from your laptop to the router? Regardless buying a second router over a powerline setup is still cheaper, and an easier way of solving the problem!
AFAIK the 4 port adaptor in that kit isn't a hub, I think it's a router. But I'm willing to be proven wrong. If I said hub before it was in error, as with most people I get confused between hub, switch and router though I do know the differences :)

What I'm saying is that as it stands now if the OP wanted to use something in the kitchen, hallway, loungeroom, garage etc etc they'd have to run cable (which doesn't seem to be an option) or use wireless which depending on the construction of the house might not be a viable option and as Mike said, wireless can be flaky.

With powerline you buy another adaptor, plug it into the wall and you pretty much have a 100% reliable connection. Yes it's a bit more expensive, perhaps not quite as convenient as wireless but it's more reliable, secure and expandable. If someone asks you to spec a PC and say they've currently only got one PCI card do you go and spec them a motherboard with only one PCI slot and no other expansion slots? I'd hope you don't!

Back