ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

Panda (Classic) Mk1 Fiat panda 4X4 restore

Introduction

Sam's Fiat Panda mk1 restoration thread

Day 1

Started work today on the panda, my god, what have I done :eek:. As im working on the car I'm keeping a running notepad report/ideas/questions sheet.

Mission today : Rust finding

Rust found on

Front arches
Front sills (passenger side)
Under washer bottle
Scuttle pannle, passenger side
Rear tail gate

Rear tail gate is a write off, and the rest is going to need a lot of welding. Underside checks out with solid jacking points. Rear arches solid but have surface rust. Look better after a blast with the sander.

Removed bonnet 4X10mm bolts
Spare wheel removed with tool kit and jack
Washer bottle 1x 8mm nut
Scuttle panel vents
Bulk head insulation, removed 2 Philips screws removed fuse box (2 wires disconnected my mouse)
1 Orange and 1 white block disconnected from washer bottle
vents removed, 2x2 Philips screws
Wiper removed
Scuttle panel removed

Photos to be sorted out soon, sorry for the some what ott list, its more for my reference as I know what i'm like with bits of paper.

I was happy with everything till I saw the mess under the scuttle panel :eek: Im in this deep however I may as well crack on.

I have two options, find a panda non runner and cut the bits I need out of that, Or get my self a anvil and vise and make up some sheets my self.

All in all, PANIC!!!!
(y)
Rust is the best friend of old Pandas:) Don't worry...must be there....you should be happy that you couldn't put you hands into sills and rear arches inside you boot :D

I *think* im going to rethink this one, I have just took out the windscreen and, well there is nothing left of the underside where its supposed to sit

DSC_9788.jpg

DSC_9787.jpg

Its by far the worsted rust on the car and was very well hidden. nothing I could have done to forsee this one :(

Any where else I think I would have had a go. But the window area needs to be right, or the window simple is not going to go back in

Ill welcome advice here, a bridge to far?

I can see me breaking the little devil :(

:eek: ups....
Not good... :(
Who cut off half of you car?:) Where wiper mechanism mount gone?:eek::)

Looks like it's going to be proper classic car restoration....

In this case (bacause it's difficult to buy parts of body work) I would buy any scrap Panda for max 50 pounds, cut some part off and welded it to your MK1...I'm sure it's going to be lovely car...

Sometime ago on ebay there was original MK1 sills&rear archways replacement and door shell....5 pounds each...no bids....seller didn't want to post them, but I'm sure if somebody offers courier pickup he would say OK...shame....but they gone now...

I *think* im going to rethink this one, I have just took out the windscreen and, well there is nothing left of the underside where its supposed to sit

I tell you what, I have somewhere in my lockups a replacement scuttle panel that was bought off e-bay. I wont be going anywhere near the lockups till next week but if your willing to wait till I have tracked it down your welcome to it.

Hi Giacosa,

I have the actual scuttle bit that goes on top, it did a great job at hiding the rust that it was attached too.
The issue I have is the section bellow the windscreen is for the most part, well, missing :( The scuttle goes on top of this, then the vent covers go in it

The only way I can see out is buying a non rusty panda and cracking out the angle grinder. Unless this is a part that can be bought (I suspect not)

Hi Giacosa,

I have the actual scuttle bit that goes on top, it did a great job at hiding the rust that it was attached too.
The issue I have is the section bellow the windscreen is for the most part, well, missing :( The scuttle goes on top of this, then the vent covers go in it

The only way I can see out is buying a non rusty panda and cracking out the angle grinder. Unless this is a part that can be bought (I suspect not)

Hi there, sorry for the delayed reply. I have been away this weekend and enjoying the sun :p

Glad to hear another mk1 is getting helped. And this rust is the most common problem with them. Regarding to the scuttle your talking about, it sounds like someone has been naughty there and put a cover to hide the rust. Mk1's had colour coded scuttles that were exposed not like the painted black ones on mk2's. As for the rust, Giacosa has the metal replacement scuttle you need to repair it (hopefully).

As for mine I cheated on the white one to get it back on the road at first and used mesh and fibre glass rivetted to the good metal. Not ideal I know but I had to get the car on the road fast before moving house. Anyway, I wouldnt recommend that atall.

Beavers Auto Panels might have some replacement panels for you. They have been a life saver for me! ....but I have just tried to find them and think they might have shut down business :eek: Does anyone else know different? I'm quite scared now :cry:

My other mk1 4x4 (abarth to be) had a scuttle made up pretty much. not a perfect job but filler took out most of the imperfections ok. So new scuttle or not, its still not an impossible task.

Let me know if you get stuck though, looks like a nice one you have there. It has the rare 4x4 side decals too, so its quite special. Good luck with the restoration. Any car can be fixed, some just take a bit of time. Maybe some useful links for you on my signature. But I expect you've spotted those already.
Cheers,
Si

Some other thoughts popping into my head, this scuttle rusting usually causes water to get footwell and they rot where the inside arch meets the boot floor near the suspension mount. Worth checking there!! The tail gate will be impossible to replace so if there is anyway you can rescue it try. Otherwise you'll have to use a mk2 one which wont have a recess for the number plate like on my white 4x4.

Also I noticed yours is a B reg too!! That could make it the oldest one left in the country as I havent seen any older on here or anywhere else for that matter!

Other points to check for rust:

1. Rear arches and bottom corner of rear side panels
  2. box section around tow bar fittment area
  3. boot floor join with rear arches
  4. rear window frames
  5. front most front suspension mounts in arches (common on all pandas really)
  6. sills (but sounds like you've checked here)
  7. boot seal lip where the rubber fits usually disappear nicely :bang:

Hope I havent put you off but its good to know these points sooner tather than later. It will be rewarding when you're driving such a rarity!

Si

I would rather go armed in to a project/situation than go half baked and miss something. So thank you very much Si

I have just had a great conversation with Allen, A top gent if there ever was one, Its kind of given me the will to carry on.

Some wise words of his, "don't see it as a hole, just as sections and set your self small targets" (or to that effect, its late!)

Ill have a hour to remove the insides from the car tomorrow. The carpets and seats can be jet washed then!
The rear floor pan looks ok, ill check the foot well tomorrow, The sinic in me is saying prepair for the worse case scenario :D

Photos gallor tomorrow

Some things I found out today, its not white, its green, a funny but nice pastille/mint green like they have on the 500. its hard to tell as its lost its shine (a coat of white paint and a sander will do that) but it looks for all the world like "ye ye green"

To finish of, I wanted to say thanks, I never in a million years expected to get this kind of response.
You never know, I may make it to one of the camping trips next year!

giacosa, If you could let me know about that panel, I would be for ever in your debt

Last edited:
So pleased that it looks like your going to save the car...it will be worth it of that im sure!!

I think maybe the seat fabric is the same as the later MK2's...if so i have fabric which may match...Si will confirm this..

Again look upon this as being a unique chance to own something very special and rare...Ebay Italy may help in your search for bits and bob's..As for Beavers auto panels i hope they are still going because as Si says they can really help..

Beavers Auto Panels might have some replacement panels for you. They have been a life saver for me! ....but I have just tried to find them and think they might have shut down business :eek: Does anyone else know different? I'm quite scared now :cry:

I can't find Beavers Auto Panels online any more either. Not looking good. However, I read that they got all their parts from 'Hadrians' who are still in existence:

http://www.hadriancarpanels.com/

Might be of help?

VERY helpful, They have most things available although sills is not one of them £20 for a rear wing
£17 for a front inner wing (+vat)

Reasonable to say the least, I have sent Rachel off on a hunt for the sills as this is something I suspect were all going to need at some point.

The stockest I checked with are

Hadrian Midlands Ltd
Unit 2, 3 Crondal Road
Bayton Road Industrial Estate
Exhall
Coventry
CV7 9NH

Day 2

Well after a bad ending to yesterday, a positive pep talk from some members and my Girlfriend saying she would be sad to see her in bits, I should save her. I picked up the screw driver and carried on for a hour over my lunch.

All seats removed, you got to love fiat, they just slide out!
Seat belt mounting points and seatbelts removed
Rear plastic trims
Rear carpet

The aim today was to tidy some of this "barn" up. My overalls are caked :yuck:

So more photos:

The car looking VERY sorry for its self in the shed (I know, I need to tidy it)

SDC19790.jpg

The drivers door, thank god these are solid

SDC19792.jpg

The back half, almost everything removed

SDC19803.jpg

SDC19804.jpg

Drivers foot well, rust spots but after a wire brush, its surface, again, thank god!

SDC19805.jpg

The rear arch! Yep, that's a screw driver you can see there.

I have decided that the only sensible way to attach this it to strip the shell. Hopefully this weekend I can get the time to get the engine hoist in there and get that out.

Some very silly questions if I may,

Not wanting to break anything, How do I get the dash out? it started with just wanted to get the carpet out but I have to remove the centre consel to do that.
I thought it would be best to start from above so started to remove the front shelth, again, can not be removed with out removing everything?

uuuu:eek: plastick rear internal cover + rear external(inside wheel arch) plastic cover !! rare!!
Also...apart from general rust (and that windscreen area)...it's in more that better condition than I would expect...Sills look ok, wheel arches better then in some L reg...
:)

Last edited:
Good progress so far, Looks ok tbh. But that rear 4x4 sticker is non genuine so might be some repairs underneath. Looks like its gone in all the same places as my two haha! Predictably rusty these, but yes the mk1 seats are far better than mk2's!! They just slide out, and adjust easily (as long as theyre greased of course).

The plastic over the arches inside are quite fancy too, i think all mk1's had this (correct me if I am wrong).

Will follow eagerly!!
Cheers,
Si

giacosa, If you could let me know about that panel, I would be for ever in your debt

What I have is highlighted in the pic. Is this what your needing? If it is, il bung it in the mail for the price of the postage. Its in good nick, painted in a sandy primer colour that most of those factory panels came in.

Attachments

• panda scuttle.png
    panda scuttle.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 64
In answer to your question about removing the dash, you have to losen the front surround but as you have found it cant be taken off all the way. I think you just have to carefully remove the connectors if you can get your hand in enough and pull the speedo cable through a bit so you can remove that more easily. Just dont pull hard on it.

Once those are removed it should come off ok and there are some more screws holding the other half to the firewall. Hope that helps!

Si

Back