General Main Pulley Bolt Removal - Twin Air

Currently reading:
General Main Pulley Bolt Removal - Twin Air

I'd also be interested to know what the piston positions are with the crank locking tool in place, but this is just my own curiosity.
Well this will likely be the limit of my investigation - get the pistons to TDC and see if we have the pulley hole at 6 o'clock (hopefully for the OP) or not.

If I can I will also cross reference any features on the pulley with the sensor you identified.

by using said tool which I understand locates and looks the cam
I'd expect there are three tools in that kit.

One to lock the crankshaft

one to lock the camshaft

and a pin tool to position the pulley.

In this case, you don't want to use the camshaft locking tool; you only need to use the crankshaft locking tool to position the crankshaft, and then use the pin tool to locate the pulley.

With a bit of luck, the kit might even come with some instructions.

I'd expect the engine to run after repositioning the pulley, although you may or may not need to use a software tool to clear the error codes.

Eh up jrkitching

correct typed without fully explaining- agree three tools in one set.

need to get to TDC I believe , but will see what I can fathom out - can’t be that difficult 😳😁 now I have a plan

Famous last words - springs to mind 👍

Eh up

Well I’m tired and freezing 🥶 but it’s back together and I’m as confident as possible it’s all correct.🤔👍 I’ve spent all day slowly check each stage, both plugs out manual cracked twice to check after re build.

I could be wrong of course but seemingly appears fine.

Ive filled with coolant and will attempt a start tomorrow, I’m too tired tonight.

will update thread

thanks for all the help 👍

Eh up

Well I’m tired and freezing 🥶 but it’s back together and I’m as confident as possible it’s all correct.🤔👍 I’ve spent all day slowly check each stage, both plugs out manual cracked twice to check after re build.

I could be wrong of course but seemingly appears fine.

Ive filled with coolant and will attempt a start tomorrow, I’m too tired tonight.

will update thread

thanks for all the help 👍
I don't know how you could resist not trying a start! Keep us informed.

Eh up all

ITS ALIVE !!!!!👌

Well it sparked up fine - much to my amazement - even in this cold brr🥶

Im thinking it’s fine but I might be hearing things but is there a sound like “lifter tick” at the back end of the revs as it’s drops off?..

I am probably paranoid but I’m sure it wasn’t there prior to me co88ing up 🤬🤔

It ticks over fine it’s just give it a rev then as it settles to idle - see if you can hear it

The good news is it starts n runs - if I’m in any doubt will drop it to a good Indy or main dealer to double check it over

It’s a cracking car and I aim to keep it that way

still kicking myself over this

thanks to everyone who has helped - 👍

Welcome any thoughts on the video and owt on the noise

ITS ALIVE !!!!!
Great news - I'm really pleased for you.

I can't see how there can be any mechanical damage; you never let the cam & crank get out of relative position.

It may take a short while for the oil to get circulating properly so I wouldn't be too concerned until you've had a chance to take it for a proper run. I guess it's possible it may also take a few stop/start cycles for the electronics to relearn what it's supposed to be doing.

Any comments on what tools you bought, and how well they fitted/worked might help others who find themselves in a similar position.

Eh up all

ITS ALIVE !!!!!👌

Well it sparked up fine - much to my amazement - even in this cold brr🥶

Im thinking it’s fine but I might be hearing things but is there a sound like “lifter tick” at the back end of the revs as it’s drops off?..

I am probably paranoid but I’m sure it wasn’t there prior to me co88ing up 🤬🤔

It ticks over fine it’s just give it a rev then as it settles to idle - see if you can hear it

The good news is it starts n runs - if I’m in any doubt will drop it to a good Indy or main dealer to double check it over

It’s a cracking car and I aim to keep it that way

still kicking myself over this

thanks to everyone who has helped - 👍

Welcome any thoughts on the video and owt on the noise

View attachment 434281
That sounds normal to me. Mine makes a similar sound. The 1.2s also do it. I think when the oil pressure drops slightly as the engine slows it does it, and its valve tappet related. Its not hard or harsh which would be a worry. My car is at 17K so a bench mark. Sounds like a nice smooth and very steady tickover. My car makes some very peculiar noises at times. I have learned to give it space and time. It has always gone back to normal as much as I can understand it in relation to the TA. Its a bit like a naughty puppy well behaved if you allow a bit of latitude.

Eh up all,

Well Mrs ran it today to work and back 🤔

Strict instructions to not have radio on and listen for anything odd and ANY light come up on dash stop car.

I got a call………..the rear seat squeeks 🤬😳🤯…..I did not need the phone to make her hear my response

So , would appear after 20 miles that there nothing odd:-

oil level fine
expansion tank level - level and no movement

still not sure about noise - mines got circa 21k on, maybe I’m just paranoid after my ba88s up 🤔

Will keep this thread updated for a bit , just in case , and will try and add some comments on the work.

Without stating the obvious here , it is an easy job, whatever you do LOCK THE PULLEY by alignment of the hole in the pulley and the milled recess in the engine block. Remember the pulley nut is LEFT HAND THREAD

Cheers all for everyone’s input on this thread 👍

Back