Idiots burn poppy

Currently reading:
Idiots burn poppy

Foreigners have always been treated with suspicion wherever they go, even the U.S. when almost everyone was a foreigner. This country is no better, although that is a relatively recent development. My Mother's ancestors were French Hugenots who fled religious persecution in France and found asylum here without prejudice. Her Father's side were from Italy via the U.S.

The first sign of prejudice wasn't seen until the Second World War and Italy's entrance into the war. Having a name like Pastorelli wasn't the easiest thing to carry around with you, yet within a very short time that was all gone and forgotten. Even the Germans were largely forgiven within 5 to 10 years of the war's end. By the mid-'60s we were buying Japanese cars by the thousand, and that was only 20 years after the Armistice.

Why are our old enemies, who between them caused the deaths of tens of thousands of British servicemen and civilians, forgiven and end up being trading partners who, in the case of Italy, even attract several hundred thousand visitors every year?

The Germans went home and the Japanese were never in this country anyway. The Italians stayed in droves but fitted in with British society and married locals, set up businesses and didn't try to change the country to their advantage. Nor for that matter did they have guilty middle class University educated twits telling them that everybody in this country was racist and that they were victims.

Perhaps the main difference is that the Eyeties were European Christians and the "Asians" look different, dress differently and stick to enclaves whereas the Italians mixed. In 1956 there was an attempt in Hungary to overthrow the Soviet puppet government and several thousand refugees settled here as well as other European countries. Once again they integrated with British society.

I personally have little recollection of public signs printed in Italian, Polish and Czech. There were many families from those groups in the parts of Manchester I lived yet all members of the family, from first generation to the last learnt and spoke English. If you visit your local Hospital you will find public notices printed in up to a dozen languages.

There is a widespread perception that ethnic minorities are given unfair advantages and that the rest of the country has to make allowances for them. Whether this is correct or not is open to debate, but someone once said that "The perception is more important that the realite."

One thing is for certain though, at some stage there are opinion formers and politicians who've really screwed up and the rest of us are having to pay the price.
Even though thousands of

Last edited:
Even though thousands of[/QUOTE]

The Beard... there was lots before this but for once... cut off in his prime 6 hours ago! ;)

it will all end up like before everyone fighting every one else over who should be here and who shouldnt. then when the smoke clears we realise the government has shafted up the arse from another angle, like thatcher did when she sold off all the stuff we owned
I have tried (and failed) to stay out of this debate. Didn't this start with some attention - seeking rabble rousers, who happen to be muslims burning some poppys for effect? How did Mrs Thatcher get dragged into this? Are you blaming her for that as well?
As ever Beard hits the nail on the head (maybe somebody hit him on the head which is why he never finished the post!). This country has always welcomed anybody who wants to come here, and join our wider community, and play their part. In a simplistic way, if you threw a house party and everybody was generally getting on fine, until a group turned up and started telling you that your politics were wrong, your beliefs were wrong because they didn't agree with theirs, and threatening all manner of carnage unless you changed. You would throw them out of the party, but everybody else would still be welcome.
If the reference to Mrs T was a swipe at all politicians, then I take the point. At no point have the electorate been given a say or a choice in immigration policy, and now it is too late. See the situation in France, Germany, Italy, Scandinavia etc.
A very close friend of mine is a Pakistani who has come to live here with his family, on a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa . He is in a minority because he and all his family are devout Catholics. He was under regular threat in Lahore from having his house, the children's school, and their Church fire bomberd, shot at, you name it. So now he lives here. But he has done everything by the book. He has had to prove that he can support himself and his family with his own work. He has to have a mimimum of several thousand pounds in his account for a year. He has no recourse to public funds. He was awarded leave to stay for 3 years based on a points system, which takes into account all the above, plus him having a Masters degree in business. This process has personally cost his family thousands of pounds, and he is not a wealthy guy.
So now he is here,working for himself, his kids at school and attending Mass every Sunday, and already a school Governor after 15 months. Believe me, if he was on this forum he would tell you things that would make your hair stand on end, and he cannot believe or understand why he has had to go through so many expensive hoops (which if he failed or couldn't pay for, his family would have been deported) when he finds here thousands of immigrants or children of immigrants who seem to hate this country so much. Standing at Manchester airport recently with him a flight came in from Pakistan and he was horrified at what he saw coming in, all holding British passports. I almost had to restrain him.
There are 2 sides to every coin.

I have tried (and failed) to stay out of this debate. Didn't this start with some attention - seeking rabble rousers, who happen to be muslims burning some poppys for effect? How did Mrs Thatcher get dragged into this? Are you blaming her for that as well?

the edl got promoted in the thread they are the same as nf and bm of the past, history repeats its self

Yes I saw the EDL banners etc, and I was quite shocked at that to be honest, never having seen one in my face like that before. Let's be clear, if I was walking down the road with my friend (as mentioned in my post) the EDL, BNP or whoever they are these days would just see a Pakistani, not a person, and hate him for it. This is unforgivable as he contributes his fair share of tax and Ni (probably more so) and is a good citizen, with the most well-mannered kids I have ever met. However, we should blame the politicians (particularly the last lot) who promoted a shambolic policy designed only to permanently change the demographics of this country for their own ends, and also villify anybody who dared question the wisdom or the economics of it. They have given rise to more racial hatred than anybody - well apart from the poppy burners of course.

Is this a wind up that I am about to fall for?
If not, what a load of cobblers.
We had North Sea Oil and we used it (well most of it). We didn't sell it off.
Tony Blair got us in to Iraq because he wanted to play the big man and followed George Dubya Bush's every word.
If you can remember, originally Saddam invaded Kuwait mainly because he wanted their oil, and easier access to the gulf. And he thought the other arab states didn't much care for the Kuwaitis so he would get away with it.
George Bush senior and a coalition which included the UK chased him out and back to Iraq. There was the perfect opportunity then to remove Saddam with much more legitimacy than when he was finally removed, but Bush senior bottled out.
So his son dragged us in to a war that probably was about oil, but we should have stayed out of it, likewise Afghanistan. This has given the radicals a perfect excuse to recruit, but lets be clear, the radical end of Islam has been on a mission for the last 40 years, not just since Iraq, and definitely not because Mrs T privatised BT or British Rail.

Even though thousands of

The Beard... there was lots before this but for once... cut off in his prime 6 hours ago! ;)[/QUOTE]

The Beard... there was lots before this but for once... cut off in his prime 6 hours ago! ;)

Maybe he died or fell asleep before he finished! Government workers I reckon killed him :p[/QUOTE]
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ eh? what? Oh! Where was I? Oh yes I remember now. Even though thousands of ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

I find myself agreeing with almost everything POC says, which may be an age thing, or even geographical.

In my former life as a Driving Instructor I met people from dozens of different ethnic groups among them many ethnic Pakistanis. I pick on that group because they are very topical on here and in the news in general.

My impressions were that many of them are charming, witty, enterprising, hard working and, by the standards of the region, honest.

However, of the 5 or 6 men I took to test who'd already gained a Pakistani driving licence, all admitted to buying their passes from the Examiner on the day of the test. Two of them also owned up to dealing with their income tax in a restaurant.

Make appointment to meet the tax inspector, buy him lunch and come to an arrangement over payment. 1/3 for the inspector, 1/3 for the country and 1/3for the tax payer. The same was true for building permits and the award of contracts. In fact almost any form of life - if you have the money.

One of my pupils at the time was a young girl of 19. She had to dress in traditional clothes, as did her mother and sisters, but she worked "Airside" at Manchester Airport where she mixed with many other people of all different races, creeds and colours. Her father instead got her a job in an Asian-run company that made cushions. Needless to say everybody else there was of Pakistani extraction. She told me one day that she would be going to Pakistan to marry a cousin. She said that although she'd never met him, she had spoken on the 'phone and seen a photograph of him and he seemed nice. Before she left she was told the wedding was off and she would be marrying a different cousin. When she got there, an Uncle took her for a ride to see parts of Islamabad but instead took her to a family house where some other relatives were sitting around in a lounge. He produced a pistol and placed it on the table telling her that if she married the other cousin all her family would be killed.

The marriage went ahead and immediately after she went to the airport and managed to get a flight back to Manchester. I spoke to her afterwards and she confirmed that neither of the cousins spoke English and neither had any qualifications that would be any use here. Their families wanted their sons to marry her simply so they could come to Britain.

This may sound like a bit of "Paki-bashing" yet these are observations I have made over the years. The two cultures are so far apart that never the twain shall meet. We have far more in common with almost every European nation you can think of.....even the French.

Corruption is endemic, as is tribalism, for want of a better word. In the wider Islamic World the gulf between Sunni and Shia is wider than any between Catholic and Protestant or Christian and Jew. Anyone who watched the news a couple of years after the Second Gulf War should be able to remember stories of Shia pilgrims being machine gunned and bombed while on their way to shrines. Bombs in market places killing men, women and children; young and old. Yet still, those who hate the West insist on blaming "us" for all the problems of the area, despite the fact that Saddam was killing political rivals thousands of Kurds and displacing tens of thousands of Marsh Arabs whose plight brought about almost no publicity.

POC makes a point about the difficulties his friends had coming here legally and yet thousands of others come here via arranged, or even forced marriages. My Grandmother was a strong woman; my Mother is a strong woman and I married a strong woman. They didn't become strong by being forced to do things they didn't want to do, but fighting for what they wanted and gettting it. Nothing I have seen of the world of the Middle East makes me think that having closer ties with that region will enhance our lives.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:yeahthat:

Not to mention that theyre better than a box of sleeping pills :p

Such disrespect to your elders.

Go sit in a corner & write 100 times... :-
"I must listen to my elders, they know more than me & can make me a better person if I take the time & trouble to realise they can help me..."

Or something similar... :p

Back