Technical Ducato P0401 P0402 P0236 P0238 and limp mode its 2017 Euro 6, EGR changed, What do I check next

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato P0401 P0402 P0236 P0238 and limp mode its 2017 Euro 6, EGR changed, What do I check next

The only way to check is to get some live data and save that data for analysis. if you look at the guides you will see a number relevent to this.
I have created a number of templates in order to simply repeat the same measurements and to group some together to learn about your motor.
If you post the csv here or pm me then i will analize the data for you and post it here or privately.

Thanks, I'll look at doing this and getting back. And there was I thinking it would be so simple! :LOL:😭

Hi everyone. I thought I would add my little bit here. I too have a 2017 130, which has suffered faults over the last few years. The first round was the failure of the ERG, which was cracked. It now seems from note where that it is the common fault identified but the garage and Fiat Italy agree to replace this at half cost. The limp home then appeared again about a year later. This time the Map sensor was replaced. This year Limp home is happening again but clears when DPF cleaner added.

Today been back to the Fiat dealer to have them confirm the same fault codes are appearing and deal with it under the 2019 Technical note 10 023.19. They found the same faults, needed to be advised of the technical paper and then suggested that the repair work would take a week! They also said they would not provide a copy of the fault report under Data Protection. When I explained that was totally incorrect they have said they cannot provide a report because Fiat do not permit that. Thank goodness I had already seen them and have photos of the readouts.

I have a feeling the dealership is hiding something which may be they knew full well about the Technical report but do not want to discuss with Fiat about the way forward.

Has anyone in the last few months had success in getting the repairs completed at Fiats cost? I do not think the dealership will be of any use in helping.

Hi, as originator of this long thread may I ask what copies of fault codes you have plus how much are they suggesting the bill might be with what parts? If you've read all the pages then you may guess that Fiat are well aware of failures of the DPF and LP EGR cooler and sometimes injectors however is this the current problem in your case?

Hi, as originator of this long thread may I ask what copies of fault codes you have plus how much are they suggesting the bill might be with what parts? If you've read all the pages then you may guess that Fiat are well aware of failures of the DPF and LP EGR cooler and sometimes injectors however is this the current problem in your case?
Yes faults are P0236, P0238 and P040. The LP EGR has been replaced two years ago when a crack was identified. Seems to follow the form of previous discussions. Latest discussion with dealership was very vague and suggested that the motorhome would be with them for a week. The discussion did not develop beyond their negative support with seeking a solution Fiat. I am off to discuss with a Commercial repair shop as the current dealership has little enthusiasm for support. I can only guess they have seen this before with there motorhomes from dealers in the area.

Hi, if you search my user name you’ll see I got Fiat to supply new parts (twice) but it wasn’t easy. Good luck.

I feel safe in saying that the cracked LP EGR would have been the cooler bracket of the earlier design and not this problem. I would suspect that this time your cooler is blocked with soot because the DPF is cracked. I had my cooler changed months back which solved the codes and limp, however, with a cracked DPF I don't know how long before it re-blocks.
It would indicate the situation if you could get to your van and wipe the exhaust tailpipe inside and see if it comes out sooty.

Hi everyone. I thought I would add my little bit here. I too have a 2017 130, which has suffered faults over the last few years. The first round was the failure of the ERG, which was cracked. It now seems from note where that it is the common fault identified but the garage and Fiat Italy agree to replace this at half cost. The limp home then appeared again about a year later. This time the Map sensor was replaced. This year Limp home is happening again but clears when DPF cleaner added.

Today been back to the Fiat dealer to have them confirm the same fault codes are appearing and deal with it under the 2019 Technical note 10 023.19. They found the same faults, needed to be advised of the technical paper and then suggested that the repair work would take a week! They also said they would not provide a copy of the fault report under Data Protection. When I explained that was totally incorrect they have said they cannot provide a report because Fiat do not permit that. Thank goodness I had already seen them and have photos of the readouts.

I have a feeling the dealership is hiding something which may be they knew full well about the Technical report but do not want to discuss with Fiat about the way forward.

Has anyone in the last few months had success in getting the repairs completed at Fiats cost? I do not think the dealership will be of any use in helping.

Attachments

• IMG_7910.png
    IMG_7910.png
    481 KB · Views: 44
This was just done last week and I’m very hopeful, and garage that done it Donald and Mackenzie of Inverness were great cost around £4000 , I was luck as I had a guarantee , I have the parts that came out and they are bad, well black with soot etc 😊👍

You have a few Fiat Professional dealerships within 30miles. Are any them Motorhome dealers as well? You may have to find a more simpathetic dealership and Contact Fiat Italy direct. I think the details are available on this thread or one of its contributors.
This problem is now better understood than 2 years ago. The most important aspect is to be able to monitor certain features of the engine. The easiest is to wipe the exhaust pipe and monitor soot levels as suggested by Fredastaire. You are all ready aware of the tech note and the importance of the software version. Have they updated it or do you know the previous version. There are many things that can be monitored by the use of a piece of software called Multiecuscan (on a windows PC). It from a position of knowledge that gives you the ability to negogiate, in this case the best support from Fiat. Has the vehicle previously been serviced by Fiat Pro?
these are 2 guides relevant to your problem. If you get Multiecuscan i will assist in any way i can.

@Shugzter do you by chance have an invoice with part numbers? I'm interested to establish if you have a new DPF or whether it's a factory exchange service. The repair bill looks very low on price. It would be good to know if replacement DPFs are built stronger/ better.

@Shugzter do you by chance have an invoice with part numbers? I'm interested to establish if you have a new DPF or whether it's a factory exchange service. The repair bill looks very low on price. It would be good to know if replacement DPFs are built stronger/ better.
Here it is ,
Hope this helps

How do I do that now?
There is a button to 'report' then the admin should delete the photo, it would be good then if you could add a new photo with all the parts list yet missing your top detail of van ID etc that we we have he info yet your details are hidden safe. There are dozens of us worldwide with this engine fault so we do need to help each other. Thanks for the info tho

There is a button to 'report' then the admin should delete the photo, it would be good then if you could add a new photo with all the parts list yet missing your top detail of van ID etc that we we have he info yet your details are hidden safe. There are dozens of us worldwide with this engine fault so we do need to help each other. Thanks for the info tho
👍

Thanks for the tip, attached is a photo of my sensor that was originally installed, is that the same as yours?
Tomorrow I have my appointment with my Fiat dealer to do further tests
.... update to follow.
Hallo Thomas ich besitze auch einen Fiat Ducato mit P0238 Code Probleme! Ich verstehe kaum englisch und habe mich zu den Problemen gegoogelt. Hast du Ahnung von den Motoren und hättest du ein Tipp für mich. Ich habe schon alles um den Motor rum getauscht!

@Nadicar What other codes have you had .The only way to check is to get some live data using multiecuscan and save that data for analysis. if you look at the guides you will see a number relevent to this. Google translate could help you read.
Welche anderen Codes hatten Sie? Die einzige Möglichkeit, dies zu überprüfen, besteht darin, mit Multiecuscan Live-Daten abzurufen und diese Daten zur Analyse zu speichern. Wenn Sie sich die Leitfäden ansehen, werden Sie eine entsprechende Nummer finden. Google Translate könnte Ihnen beim Lesen helfen.

Dies bezieht sich nicht auf frühere Einzel-AGR-Systeme oder auf spätere AdBlu-SCR-Motoren.
Beachten Sie, dass es sich hierbei um einen Leitfaden und nicht um eine endgültige Angabe handelt. Es liegt an Ihnen, Entscheidungen zu treffen. Es ist das Ergebnis meiner Untersuchungen der Daten vieler Mitwirkender und der Diskussion mit vielen Mitgliedern des Fiat-Forums, es ist deren Arbeit, ich berichte nur darüber. Da es völlig unfair wäre, nur einen zu erwähnen und nicht alle Mitwirkenden zu würdigen, werde ich FredAstaire nicht erwähnen.

Frage :
Mein Lieferwagen hat einen P0401-Code ausgegeben. Sollte ich das HPEGR-Ventil wechseln?

Antworten :
Nein. Nicht bevor Sie den Rest dieser Seite gelesen haben.
Eine Reihe von Personen haben das HPEGR-Ventil auf der Grundlage geändert, dass der Code als aufgeführt ist.
P0401 Abgasrückführungsfluss unzureichend erkannt
Durch die Änderung konnte das Problem nicht behoben werden.
Was soll ich machen?
Überprüfen Sie mit Multiecuscan die Standbilddaten auf den Fehler.
Das folgende Beispiel zeigt, wie der HPEGR aufgefordert wird, sich auf einen viel größeren Wert als normal zu öffnen. In diesen Beispielen fällt der Fehler damit zusammen, dass das Ventil mehr als 80 % öffnen soll.
Die Unfähigkeit, das gewünschte Luftvolumen zu strömen, liegt im Allgemeinen nicht daran, dass der AGR-Wert nicht in der Lage ist, seine normale Funktion zu erfüllen, sondern daran, dass das Steuergerät einen unplausiblen Wert anfordert. Dies liegt an einem Steuergerätefehler oder daran, dass der Luftstrom aufgrund einer anderen Bedingung nicht möglich ist.
Überprüfen Sie das Auspuffrohr und wischen Sie es mit einem Küchentuch ab.
Die erste Beobachtung ist, dass ein guter Motor ein klares, sauberes Auspuffrohr hat. Ein öliger oder verrußter Motor erfordert entweder Aufmerksamkeit oder ist aufgrund früherer Probleme immer noch rußig.

Last edited:
Back