Budget

Currently reading:
Budget

Does any one else think "global warming" is a lot of crap.There are as many scientists that think its B******S as there are belive it.
Every time W bush puts his useless fat arse in Air force 1 he is responsible for more pollution than almost every punto in britain. Us motorists are easy targets. :mad:

You do realise that your quote there is utter rubbish, right? In terms of total man made CO2 emissions, planes are around 3%....

Last edited:
global warming is just an excuse to get more money out of us, if they were really concerned about it they'd make green fuels such as biodiesel,solar and wind power alot cheaper, as for increasing the tax on big 4x4s most people who buy these are loaded and won't notice the difference anyway

global warming is just an excuse to get more money out of us, if they were really concerned about it they'd make green fuels such as biodiesel,solar and wind power alot cheaper, as for increasing the tax on big 4x4s most people who buy these are loaded and won't notice the difference anyway

How, biodiesel is not a viable alternative either physically, economically or environmentally, solar in the part of the world is always going to struggle and wind power is being massively invested in.

There's certainly a general trend away from the largest cars in my opinion.

How, biodiesel is not a viable alternative either physically, economically or environmentally, solar in the part of the world is always going to struggle and wind power is being massively invested in.

Scottish power are into wind farms in big way,that was one of the reasons iberderola are buying them out,larger cars seem to be more and more diesel powered now.

these wouldn't sustain the entire country but would help, one small wind turbine would supply most of a household electric supply

alot of them are buying lexus 4x4s because they have electric motors and then say there doing there bit for the enviroment despite having a 3L+ engine under the bonnet

these wouldn't sustain the entire country but would help, one small wind turbine would supply most of a household electric supply

alot of them are buying lexus 4x4s because they have electric motors and then say there doing there bit for the enviroment despite having a 3L+ engine under the bonnet

But it's a step in the right direction; a lot of cars spend a lot of their time in low speed traffic thus a little electric motor rather than a 2 litre + engine idling is a very good idea.

But Paul, the Prius has proven the technology isn't ready yet. The pollution saved by the electric motor doesn't ofset the extra pollution created in the making of the vehicle and it's ultimate disposal or recycling.

Anyway Budget is tax going upto £400 for group G cars in 2008, and an extra tenner on group F which I believe might affect the Stilo Abarth owners?

Its all rubbish, if the government were really serious about this, theyd hike up the tax to thousands for the biggest polluting cars, for christs sake who needs a 5 litre car? also theyd tell the manufacturers that they couldnt sell the biggest and worst polluters. I realise farmers and the like need 4x4s so make em only be able to drive a land rover, that would stop the stupid mums from buying 4x4s!!! I work on the railway as a driver, our new electric trains use more energy than the old ones, how is that being green, also all main stations are having their lighting doubled in the interest of safety, roads are all being lit up at night and it goes on... big companies can poluute but us motorists cant. at the end of the day, you should recycle, buy used cars!

well i just give the budget a skim read and then printed it, got to over 300 pages and had to stop the print coz ran out of paper. how long!! and it doesnt even give specific figures for many things, for example no price breakdown for all tax bands.

good news is it does not come into effect till oct07, and only affects cars already on the g/km banding. so pre 2001 cars will be ok (y)

Its all rubbish, if the government were really serious about this, theyd hike up the tax to thousands for the biggest polluting cars, for christs sake who needs a 5 litre car?

there are many things we dont need, that is not a good enough reason to tax them to death. actually it is far more often the things we need and have no substitute for that are taxed. then the tax is unavoidable. there would be no point in an easily avoidable tax such as thousands of pounds for very high polluters simply because the aim of tax is to gain revenue and control consumer & industry spending/saving/investement, but certainly not cut pollution.

Last edited:
Heres some food for thought then, same line as Hellcat.

A new car has a huge amount of plastics and man made materials in there construction, they use a massive amount of energy to make.

Therefore to be truly environmetally friendy we should stop building new cars and keep old cars on the road as although they put out more emissions, there carbon footprint is much smaller than new cars if you add up everything, we are being blinded by nonsense. Plus as they have much less plastics, and are made from more metal can be recycled easier.

This was shown in the US were it was proven the Toyota Prius, so favoured by "stars" to show they are green, took so much energy to build that it left more damage in the environmant in just being built than a 20 year old 5L V8 which had covered 150K had.

anyone noticed that although the income tax is to drop from 22p to 20p... the bstard has scrapped the first £2090 you earn above your personal allowance (still frozen) from being taxed at just 10p up to 20p!!! Hes a nice fellow eh?

anyone noticed that although the income tax is to drop from 22p to 20p... the bstard has scrapped the first £2090 you earn above your personal allowance (still frozen) from being taxed at just 10p up to 20p!!! Hes a nice fellow eh?

yes but the tax free amount is going to increase every year till 2011 (up to 7200min iirc, from 5100 now). get a calculator and work it out, it makes virtually no difference. minimum wage people will be slightly worse off for first couple of years, but only a little bit.

Is it just me, or does anyone else subscribe to this idea... surely the biggest reason carbon emmissions are getting so high is simply the fact that their are too many people on the planet. People seem to have loads of kids, they live longer and people arent being killed in wars like they used to be. Im not saying we should fight each other or stop curing disease etc, but hey, surely there ought to be a limit on the number of kids you can have.... a mate has four kids, two of them have five between them and thats before the younger ones have them. Its crazy, the world cant sustain the population growth.

Well according to MSN budget calculator I will be (wait for it) a whole £35.74 a year better off. Whoop-de-doo!

That's one pint a month I didn't have before I guess.

relax, we are a part of nature, and nature has its own control mechanisms. we will be controlled one way or another, and we obviously cant control ourselves (since we blindly obey our nature) so lets just enjoy it while the going is good. a plague or war or whatever else will come along and return the equilibrium sooner or later.

Is it just me, or does anyone else subscribe to this idea... surely the biggest reason carbon emmissions are getting so high is simply the fact that their are too many people on the planet. People seem to have loads of kids, they live longer and people arent being killed in wars like they used to be. Im not saying we should fight each other or stop curing disease etc, but hey, surely there ought to be a limit on the number of kids you can have.... a mate has four kids, two of them have five between them and thats before the younger ones have them. Its crazy, the world cant sustain the population growth.

A valid point but no basis in fact I'm afraid as the biggest population growth is in the poorer, less poluting countries, except China of course but their emissions per capita are still way below that of the main industrialised nations.

Back