Budget Winter Tyres

Currently reading:
Budget Winter Tyres

Hi-Fly are budget M+S tyres
i dont really rate them when they were on my alloys

Okay when its dry - so i can wear them down - but not that good in the wet

I've got Toyo 350's on my Steelies atm, there 84 weight rating not 81 and quiet hard, wheel spinning is an easy option, so is understeer....

What im trying to say is Weight rating does apply very much too!

Ziggy

well it snowed today and my Achilles Winter 101 coped just fine :)

there was a lorry jackknifed on my main route to town, so i cut through miles of country un-gritted back roads, did some emergency stop testing they stopped really well, i was beginning to think maybe the road isn't as slippery as i thought until i came across a car that had come off the road in to a hedge.

Last edited:
my uniroyal MS plus 6
£40 per tyre (not inc del or fitting)

Loving how brilliant they are on the road! Shame there on the rear, but my back end has been stable and wonderful on the oh so slippy back roads

Come next year i hopefully will have worn down my front tyres to fit winters on them :)

Ziggy

Never, ever mix winter/summer tyres on a car.
It's 4 winter tyres front and rear,( or all season, or summer.)
Mixing different purpose tyres will result in unpredictable and potential dangerous roadholding...!!

Not nessecarily. He's got them the right way around though being on the rear.

I have Sava Eskimo S2's on my old Panda 4x4. probably the cheapest of the lot on mytyres. But then again, it isn't rapid or high powered......they just work when it counts in heavy snow and sheet ice.

The wisdom of mixing AS & winter tyres fell into disrepute in Canada following the Bathurst School bus tragedy in New Brunswick that was fatal to the school basket ball team.

Interestingly I note that Quebec has ruled that a tyre marked `M+S’ doesn’t make it a winter tyre – perhaps the start of bringing that stunt to an end, at least in Canada.

Interestingly I note that Quebec has ruled that a tyre marked `M+S’ doesn’t make it a winter tyre – perhaps the start of bringing that stunt to an end, at least in Canada.

they didn't need to get that ruled as its fact. Any manufacture can stick M&S on any tyre without justification. It's the winter snow flake symbol which means its a winter tyre.

Back