Currently reading:
Budget Winter Tyres

I know this might be petty - but money is money

Check out Ears Motorsport

For the same tyre x4 inc deliver Ears was 172 where as that my tyres was 181
(175/65/14 82T Uniroyal +6 tyre)

Obvs there is still some money for fitting and balancing but thats local to you

shame not all have the rating sticker tho
Alot on seem to be C rated Grip, and alot are very poor all together saying there winter tyres

I find funny thAY 71DB is classed as quiet
but 73 is classed as loud....

Ziggy

I know this might be petty - but money is money

Check out Ears Motorsport

For the same tyre x4 inc deliver Ears was 172 where as that my tyres was 181
(175/65/14 82T Uniroyal +6 tyre)

Obvs there is still some money for fitting and balancing but thats local to you

shame not all have the rating sticker tho
Alot on seem to be C rated Grip, and alot are very poor all together saying there winter tyres

I find funny thAY 71DB is classed as quiet
but 73 is classed as loud....

Ziggy

:confused: cheapest it lists is £115.98 for my car

Looking at other tyres on that site classed as "Snow tyres" most of them are B rated for wet grip and below in fact B seems pretty good for that price range, but then Snow is not the same as wet Tarmac, so there wet performance isn't in all fairness an accurate description of how the tyres will perform in the snow

we get more wet than snow, so i want some thing that is good in the wet as well as snow.

im not sure if these new eec tyre labels can be trusted, because the Vredestein that everyone was giving good reviews last winter only has a E for wet :spin:

Last edited:
we get more wet than snow, so i want some thing that is good in the wet as well as snow.

im not sure if these new eec tyre labels can be trusted, because the Vredestein that everyone was giving good reviews last winter only has a E for wet :spin:

Yes, just read an auto express tyre test last night and from their tests the best at wet braking were in a lower group than others which were worse??

ive gone for the Achilles Winter 101 as im totally skint and my 18s have got 1 screw in 1 and 1 edge wear is bad and tyre splitting, 17s 1 is down to just over 2mm didn't want to fit them but better that having a split edge and screw in another tyre. so i figure these have got to be better than what i have or budget summers. will give me time to save for better tyres for the 18s too.

what are delivery times like from mytyres atm?

Kelly - Winter ST are getting good reviews but seem to only come in speed rating T

Capture1.JPG

Kelly - Winter ST are getting good reviews but seem to only come in speed rating T

View attachment 109391

Tyre speed rating has me confused... well the rating itself is easy but here in the uk the highest speed limit is 70mph even the lower rating tyres of N are rated up to 87MPH. So why should we have to spend more money getting higher rated tyres that can do way in excess of the speed limit :confused: My pug for example requires H rated tyres which are tested to 130mph, I wouldnt feel safe doing more than 90 in it - the roof rattles at 65 on a < 3 year old car :eek: the limit is 70 anyway....

Last edited:
Re: Budget Snow Tires

Higher rated tires are stronger build, and are part of the total concept/roadholding of a car, as designed by the manufacturer.
Don't underestimate this important fact!!
As for tires, summer or winter, I only trust the best,( in my case: Pirelli)
Maybe more expensive to buy, but in the end, safety is all that matters...!!.

Vredestein is a small Dutch tire manufacturer, elderly Dutch people reckon them famous for...... bicycle tires....!!
Everybody overhere is running Michelin, and if they are on a budget, they choose Vredestein...!!

Last edited:
there has to be good cheaper ones out there though, we just have to find them.

When i first bought summer Toyo T1R years ago they was budget not well known tyres, people said i was mad to buy them, but they turned out to be better than any top brands ive used, and are now well known and recomended by loads of people, shame the price went up too. there must be some winters the same being sold cheap to get their name out there

there has to be good cheaper ones out there though, we just have to find them.

I'm not gonna try it...!
With a wife and child inside a rather expensive car, safety from a trusted tire brand is all that matters to me, specially on dark, lonely and slippery winter roads.....!!
(And I'm willing to pay what they are worth.)

Last edited:
What about Nankang N607 all season tyres get an E for efficiency and a B for wet braking in my size for £45 excluding fitting etc. A few reviews suggest they are good in snow, wet, dry roads (y) a few however say they are awfull (n)

Tyre shopping is such a mine field when on a tight budget like me need new tyres anyway but want something that's not developed with a code name "ditchfinder 2000" or "widow maker in the wet".

Back