Budget Winter Tyres

Currently reading:
Budget Winter Tyres

they didn't need to get that ruled as its fact. Any manufacture can stick M&S on any tyre without justification. It's the winter snow flake symbol which means its a winter tyre.

Clearly Quebec hasn’t left recognition of the fact to be open for further discussion - & are set on enshrining it within their road traffic law. It would be interesting to learn what brand/models of tyres will be exposed by this ruling.

they didn't need to get that ruled as its fact. Any manufacture can stick M&S on any tyre without justification. It's the winter snow flake symbol which means its a winter tyre.

Correct.
German traffic law says the same.
Just M+S means nothing, the snowflake symbol does.
(Most summer tyres for American cars have M+S on them, and are absolutely NOT winter tyres at all... )

Personally I think mixing tyres is worse, a stranded car is safer than one that can get out and have an accident due to terminal understeer/oversteer.

But in this case the winters are on the rear of a FWD car. Understeer is better then oversteer in so many ways, which is what is more likly to happen should control be lost.

The guy that fits our van tyres said that mixing winter and summer tyres was illegal,
also 4wheels brake not two, it's not just about handling :shrug:

Last edited:
The guy that fits our van tyres said that mixing winter and summer tyres was illegal

Yet another tyre fitter who doesn't know what he's talking about, I had one of those when I got my winters fitted to their rims back in October, telling me they're pointless, so I reeled off their advantages which he was clueless about and told him to STFU and get on with the job.

The only advice that putting different tyres on is Radial and crossply

Crossply's MUST always go on the front, never the rear unless the whole car has 4x Crossply tyres

but tbh crossply are such ancient technology - you only ever see radial now

Alot of tyre fitters are shown how to put tyres on and off - not really knowing the structure and how everything works on them

Ziggy

Alot of tyre fitters are shown how to put tyres on and off - not really knowing the structure and how everything works on them

Ziggy

They are not even doing that properly, most dont have a clue what the red and yellow marks are for on the side of new tyres
Uniformity (red mark)
Weight (yellow mark)

Uniformity Method​

When performing uniformity match-mounting, the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details). Radial force variation is the fluctuation in the force that appears in the rotating axis of a tire when a specific load is applied and the tire rotated at a specific speed. It is necessary to minimize radial force variation to ensure trouble-free installation and operation. Not all wheel assemblies indicate the point of minimum radial run-out, rendering uniformity match-mounting sometimes impossible. If the point of minimum radial run-out is not indicated on a wheel assembly, the weight method of match-mounting should be used instead.

Weight Method​

When performing weight match-mounting, the yellow mark on the tire, indicating the point of lightest weight, should be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel assembly, which represents the heaviest weight point of the wheel assembly. After match-mounting by either of the above methods, the tire/wheel assembly can be balanced.

yeah, you can mix tyres. But do you want to?

yet how many people mix budget tyres cause moneys tight with the still good but worn tyres on the rears?

Whats worse?

Having winter tyres on the rear is only a benifit, However i wont be getting the full benifit from them because i dont have all round

the back end under heavy braking was a little wishy washy - wiggling about, but wacking softer compound winter tyres on has solved that - allowing the rears todo the best braking they can (due to drums)

Ziggy

Back