Budget Snow Tyres

Currently reading:
Budget Snow Tyres

Gaz37

All this talk of snow tyres has made me think-

I've noticed that when the WRC cars do rallies on snow they are always fitted with skinny little pram wheels which I assume are studded.

With this in mind I was thinking that if I bought a set of four space savers from ebay (they're widely available for around a fiver) & then screwed screws into them I'd have a set of studded snow tyres WRC stylee for around £20 plus a few screws.

I knocked up a prototype for my Mk2 Golf

IMG_4874.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea Gaz. Might be a market for these in Scotland right this moment.

Do you supply and fit the studs?

I cant see the point of fitting them to the rear, after all, my car is front wheel drive. And i like the rear end a bit twitchy anyway.

Keep up the good work!! :slayer::D

I hadn't actually considered them as business opportunity, it was more of a suggestion. Snow tyres are circ £100 a piece whereas of set of these will be less than one snow tyre.

I can't see any reason why anyone can't knock up a set of these for themselves

Thats why you fill the tyre with expanding foam. You know, those instant leak fix canisters that you get in most new cars these days.

DIY expanding foam filler would be better, the Tyreweld stuff only seals existing holes I don't think it will prevent new ones.

Think what you're expecting them to do, you want them to grip the snow and pull the car along. That is a lot of force pulling on the screws/rubber. Utterly not designed for this.

By screwing into the rubber, you'll expose the ply/cords (where the screw cuts) - that IS illegal and leaves them exposed for damage from water etc. By making holes in the rubber, you've created weakened spots - if the tyre was subject to a sharp shock - you've created failure points for it.

Anyway, aren't metal studded tyres illegal for road use in the UK anyway?

It may be technically illegal but surely if done in the interests of safety it has to be a good thing?

Studded or Spiked tyres are ILLEGAL in the UK.

The laws require that in order to be legal a tyre must comply with a number of legal requirements.

These requirements range from what the manufacturer must be responsible for - relevant sidewall markings etc - and what the motorist should be responsible for - correct fitment and condition of tyre, tread depths etc.

It is recommended that tyres are checked on a weekly basis for tread depth, tread condition, inflation pressure, tread/sidewall damage, any signs of irregular wear. If in doubt seek the advice of a trained tyre expert who will be able to determine the suitability of the tyre for further use.

The penalties for having illegal tyres are currently up to a £2500 fine and 3 penalty points PER TYRE!

The following gives an overview of the relevant points.

There are two important Legal Statutes that Relate to Tyres:

1. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.
These regulations do not cover only tyre legal requirements but any area related to road usage and traffic. They include areas related to dimensions and manoeuvrability, brakes, wheels, springs, tracks, steering, vision, instruments, fuel, minibuses, power to weight ratio, protective systems, control of emissions, plates, markings, testing and inspection and conditions related to use.
2. Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) Regulations 1994
Which cover the requirements relating to the supply of tyres and areas such as E markings, Part Worn tyres and Re-treads.

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
Regulation Number Subject Area
Regulation 24 Indicates the types of vehicle covered and also temporary use spares
Regulation 25 Details tyre loads and speed ratings
Regulation 26 Stipulates the requirements for tyre mixing
Regulation 27 Details condition and Maintenance of Tyres

Damage to road, person or vehicle

If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and they damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal.

It may be technically illegal but surely if done in the interests of safety it has to be a good thing?
Its a nice idea, but as for a good thing? tell that to the police officer who fines you. or the person who sues you when one of the screws comes out and hits them..

Last edited:
Why is it any safer, if one of these studs hits a bit of rock - is ripped out and the tyre blows out then that isn't very safe (for you, or the car that gets showered in bits of the tyre / screws).

Proper studded tyres aren't expensive to spite you, they're expensive because they've had research, time and testing put into them.

Why is it any safer, if one of these studs hits a bit of rock - is ripped out and the tyre blows out then that isn't very safe (for you, or the car that gets showered in bits of the tyre / screws).

Proper studded tyres aren't expensive to spite you, they're expensive because they've had research, time and testing put into them.

Its safer because you'll get better traction under braking, cornering and acceleration.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be driving at high speeds, even with studded tyres, so any incident is hardly going to be the total carnage that you describe

Enjoy telling your insurance company

You're missing the point.

The whole idea is to prevent accidents, something which I'm sure insurance companies would be grateful for in snowy conditions

No they won't. The tyres loose their type approval when you start modifying them, they won't care why you've modified them - they'll just bum you for modifying them.

You're missing the point.

The whole idea is to prevent accidents, something which I'm sure insurance companies would be grateful for in snowy conditions

Not really, like i said, if one of those studs comes out, which it could even at low speeds and hits someone or something, then you are liable to be sued.

Also, if I went to KwikFit and bought 100% Genuine Snow Tyres i would still have to tell my insurance company. They cant legally charge you, but they still class it as a moddification.

ALSO modifying tyres in any way is ILLEGAL! AS ARE STUDDED!!
They wont care why you did it, but your insurance will be void..

Last edited:
If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and they damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal.

IF- Clearly snow & ice is exactly where/when they would be used.

Therefore they are not illegal unless they damage the road which is unlikely

Not really, like i said, if one of those studs comes out, which it could even at low speeds and hits someone or something, then you are liable to be sued.

Also, if I went to KwikFit and bought 100% Genuine Snow Tyres i would still have to tell my insurance company. They cant legally charge you, but they still class it as a moddification.

ALSO modifying tyres in any way is ILLEGAL! AS ARE STUDDED!! They wont care why you did it, but your insurance will be void..

So what we're saying is that it is preferable to to be run over by a skidding car rather than the remote possibilty of being hit by a screw?

God help us, I'm so glad we have all these rules, if we didn't people might have to use common sense instead

I think you're more likely to be in the skidding car because you'll be out with the perception that you've got snow tyres when you haven't.

The only benefit these are going to have over normal tyres is that they are thinner.

Proper snow tyres have the studs properly attached and they still come out, they are also rubber compounds specifically developed for the conditions.

Back