Budget Snow Tyres

Currently reading:
Budget Snow Tyres

i have Super cheap budget m+s tyres on the alloys
I've been ruined by wider tyres and i do feel they work better in general

The Punto uses 81T on steelies - so 82T wont be a problem there :)

Wider tyres means less pressure on the tyre = Longer wear
IF your gonna get stuck - your gonna get stuck regardless of what tyre you have

But yes thinner = Better cutting when its deep
But wider because its just cold and wet and i can feel a much better difference with wider tyres

Ziggy

toyota-polar-hilux-15-03-10.jpg

Wide tyres in the snow equals driving over the snow not pushing it out from under the tyre compacting it into nice hard compressed ice and seriously compromising grip.

Skinny tyres increase the weight to contact area, the tyres are more able to push the snow out less compacting of snow into ice and more chance of the tyre making contact with the Tarmac, this is fine if you drive on in-gritted roads in rural locations throughout the winter.

If you are driving across the Antarctic this winter in your panda 4x4 the last thing you want is tyres that will dig into the snow otherwise you will get stuck pretty quickly, this is why expedition vehicles have huge wide tyres with very low pressures, the idea being to spread the load and sit on top of the snow and ice the low pressure squishy tyres shape to the landscape to find maximum grip, its not really comparable to driving to tesco with a sprinkling of the white stuff on the road.

If you have big wide tyres on your car normally it may benefit from going slightly narrower but investing in some good winter tyres. I think you've gone down the right route dave

Back