Air pistols, advice please

Currently reading:
Air pistols, advice please

The Negotiator said:
This is an honest question, not to cause an argument:

"Why do people have such weapons?"

Is it just target practise or what? Personally I agree with T14086, I don't see the need for people to hold guns in general except in regulated environments.
Well I bought 8 SEGA Lock-ON's on eBay I used to own 2 when I was young but bought em back because I didn't have anyone to play with... Now that I'm 22 I've found kids (my age) just just me who like to run around and shoot eachother.

The one I have... which is broken... I never really used. Shot it a couple times in my house and that was it, used it sometimes to scare me lil bro. I just like to hold them and some guns are well crafted (look sexy)

There was a very old factory (bvery big too) out the back of my house which was almost deralict for years before being pulled down.
Now it seems all the vermin from there are coming into the closest houses, mine being one of them.
Not many come into the house, as the terrier side of my staffies come out and they get a few.
But now its driving me mad. The dogs go crazy if they see something, and one of them is getting so obsesed with hunting hes hardly eating anymore.
Ive put poisen down in any place i can where the dogs cant get to it, but its no longer effective.
As the girlfriend wont let me use traps (doesnt want to come across one caught), im left with killing them myself.
If it wasnt for that, id wait till the summer to get one.

just to clarify the law. no pp guns or air guns are allowed to be used in your garden by anyone. that is part of the new law.;)

sumplug said:
just to clarify the law. no pp guns or air guns are allowed to be used in your garden by anyone. that is part of the new law.;)

I think you'll find you can shoot on your land, as long as its away from a set distance of your perimeter (I believe it's 50 foot, but I'll have to check), and that no ricochets can stray past your boundaries. That is, of course, the law has changed without my knowledge :)

Here you go Sumplug - the law hasn't changed :) http://www.basc.org.uk/content/airriflepractice Under the 'Trespass' section.

Last edited:
OK Clint Eastwood you obviously like your guns but although there are many respectfull owners there just as many nutters also ive been sat there fishing when all of a sudden some twonk decides to use me and my tackle for target practice FUNNY i think not i believe that all fire arms should be obtainable only under some kind of character check so for me a big (n) see u later partner giddy up trigger :p :D

PNL said:
OK Clint Eastwood you obviously like your guns but although there are many respectfull owners there just as many nutters also ive been sat there fishing when all of a sudden some twonk decides to use me and my tackle for target practice FUNNY i think not i believe that all fire arms should be obtainable only under some kind of character check so for me a big (n) see u later partner giddy up trigger :p :D

That sort of behaviour is not on IMO (n) If licencing helps cut down on irresponsible behaviour then I'm sure the vast majority of sensible shooters (and I don't just mean those with air rifles) wouldn't object to obtaining licences.

If you were shot at Phill, then you should have reported them to the Police - they could have been breaking all sorts of laws - armed trespass, attempted assault, etc. etc. That includes BB guns.

I got shot at once in Arnold, Nottingham. I was cycling to a friend's house about 3-4 miles away and went passed these two kids with what I thought was a toy gun. I heard like a click and felt a force against my fairly empty rucksack, nothing more. Was a mark on my back and a smallish hole but didn't go through and don't know what it was.

At the time my only desire was to get away...

As a 10 year old I also had a gun pulled on me 30m from my house by a huge 40 year old black guy wearing a massive coat. He just turned and aimed it at me and a friend, Danny. I nearly **** myself yet he tried to pretend it wasn't there, we ran off to my house. He forced me not to tell my mum as his mum was so strict about where he went and he would have been in trouble for going to my house, since there was a gun aimed at him I think he thought his mum would never let him go out again.

No idea what the hell that was on about and spent a while thinking it was a dream until when we met up at about 15 after he moved and recalled the same story!

I don't like guns...

Ive done a bit of shooting but it was a lot different that the air/shot gun type of thing get in the way of 303/762 and you get some serious ventilation :eek:

PNL said:
Ive done a bit of shooting but it was a lot different that the air/shot gun type of thing get in the way of 303/762 and you get some serious ventilation :eek:

My old man used to have a 12 bore until he sold it as he wasn't using it.

chaos said:
'A kick like a mule' is how he described it

You ever fired 303/762 ? heavy to hold never mind trying to hit a target even harder at 1000 yds but some off the guys did :bang:

PNL said:
You ever fired 303/762 ? heavy to hold never mind trying to hit a target even harder at 1000 yds but some off the guys did :bang:

No. I shoot targets up to 50 yards away :p

Interesting thread

I have been shooting for 12 years and now have an FAC
Fire Arms Certificate .

I'm a member of many Airgun Forums and its interesting to see other peoples view on the subject.

The law in relation to air rifle ownership may well change in the next few months but this will mostly be down to the buying and selling aspect .
with regards to the pistols be illegal ,yes and no
you can have a spring , co2 or compressed air powered pistol or rifle but not a TAC rifle /pistol.
Tac's look like bullets but filled with compressed air where as the pre charged rifle or pistol has a large tank of air which is used.

regarding the the original question id go buy a small spring rifle and enjoy using it , no point going out to buy a PCP

Savage said:
if you want one get one but just make sure you dont get caught

If you are implying rule breaking then keep quiet please. Firearms can be a dangerous thing and people who are caught breaking the law with regards to firearm offences can find themselves in deeper trouble than they envisaged.

Curtis said:
Interesting thread

I have been shooting for 12 years and now have an FAC
Fire Arms Certificate .

I'm a member of many Airgun Forums and its interesting to see other peoples view on the subject.

The law in relation to air rifle ownership may well change in the next few months but this will mostly be down to the buying and selling aspect .
with regards to the pistols be illegal ,yes and no
you can have a spring , co2 or compressed air powered pistol or rifle but not a TAC rifle /pistol.
Tac's look like bullets but filled with compressed air where as the pre charged rifle or pistol has a large tank of air which is used.

regarding the the original question id go buy a small spring rifle and enjoy using it , no point going out to buy a PCP

I'll have to keep an eye on these potential rule changes :) A springer would be fine for hunting, but I would personally prefer a PCP in general :)

Savage said:
if you want one get one but just make sure you dont get caught

Its a sensitive sport and we don't need negative publicity .

chaos said:
I'll have to keep an eye on these potential rule changes :) A springer would be fine for hunting, but I would personally prefer a PCP in general :)

I have a selection to choose from (y)

Springer's for a new person as they are cheaper and need less equipment , bottle etc so after a short period you know if you like the sport , also IMHO if you can shoot a springer then a PCP is easy,due being less hos sensitive etc

One you have a few scopes and a bottle then its a resonable sport in terms of cost, if you decide its worth progressing with.

At the moment i have around 7K's worth of gear, 5 rifle's silencers ,scopes ,mounts , a 300bar tank, bags, Night vison , lamps etc etc etc

Oh and my cinq :D thats the car i take shooting

Back