Air pistols, advice please

Currently reading:
Air pistols, advice please

Fast Finger

Established member
Hi all,
A friend of mine is sellng two bb/pellets guns.
One is spring powered, the other is CO2, dont know makes yet, hes going to check for me.

The thing is, i know the law has just changed/is about to change regarding the CO2 powered pistols.
Do you need a licence for them now and will it make buying replacement parts difficult?

(Also ill put up the prices when i find out the makes, see what you guys think.)

Cheers ,Mark

CO2 are licensed and come under firearm legislation AFAIK - the law was changed about 12 months ago IIRC :) Air capsule guns are illegal AFAIK. PCP rifles aren't licensed.
Depends on the gun with replacement parts, but I should imagine that you can still get CO2 capsules - however I reckon you would have to provide your license details to the seller, like as if you were purchasing shotgun cartridges, for example.

Fast Finger said:
Fun in the summer & pest control.:D

If you want something for ratting, then you'll need an air rifle, preferably PCP though spring is fine, as you won't be emptying the air chamber in one session. Pistols are no good IMO for ratting, as you'll need a good scope, only plinking and shooting in pistol specific competitions.

It is going to be for ratting in my back garden and sorounding areas.
Excuse me for being dumb, but what does PCP mean?:eek:

Fast Finger said:
It is going to be for ratting in my back garden and sorounding areas.
Excuse me for being dumb, but what does PCP mean?:eek:

Pre charged Pneumatic - you need an air pump/diver's oxygen bottle to refill the air chamber. The major benefit of a PCP over a springer is no recoil, which helps with accuracy. In Field Target/Hunter Field Target Competitions, a PCP is vastly preferred over the springers as they are easier to shoot accurately. I own both types and know which one I prefer shooting :)

as i said in the other post -

My BB guns are spring powered, and i dont need a licence for them, but i think you now need a licence for C02 powered guns.

edit - mine are for sale too :)

christopher watson said:
as i said in the other post -

My BB guns are spring powered, and i dont need a licence for them, but i think you now need a licence for C02 powered guns.

edit - mine are for sale too :)

What you after for them?
Makes and models?

webley tempest and webley hurricance or the sheridan pro hunter would probably be the best bet for pest control from a pistol point of view. However rifles are much more preferred.
I own 2 PCP air rifles and a spring powered air rifle. I I prefer the PCP as (like chaos says) they offer none or next to no recoil, also you can silence the sound more effectivly.
I have an air arms s410 with logun pro silencer, all you can hear from 10 yards away is the pellet hitting the target :>

2 pietro beretta's and 2 smith and wesson, £15 each for the berettas (one has a pull down hand grip below the barrel (if you know what i mean)), and £7 each for the smith and wessons.

Pietro Beretta .9 cal. Pietro Beretta .9 cal M93R with drop down hand grip on the front of the gun (my favourite-see link). two smith and wesson replicas. Lorcin series 2000 M38-11 £8. sling shot £5. large tub of BB's offers.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviews/m93r/m93rreview.htm

Last edited:
I got a cheapy battery powered spring BB gun about a year ago... it hurts even at about 25 feet (assuming you can hit the person... err... thing... anyway). Cost me about £15 including a refill bottle and batteries. Not bad eh? :p

Firewarrior said:
I have an air arms s410 with logun pro silencer, all you can hear from 10 yards away is the pellet hitting the target :>

You can't beat Air Arms :D

T14086 said:
Call me boring/dull whatever but i'd rather they were banned full stop(except on licensed premesis with correct supervision)just my opinion:D

I don't go around waving my rifle around y'know :) A lot of people are sensible and take all necessary precautions - its the minority that everyone hears about which gives air gunners a bad name :(

Back