General 10.5 litres/100 km fuel consumption ok ?

Currently reading:
General 10.5 litres/100 km fuel consumption ok ?

it looks Good to me

Attachments

• tm2.jpg
    tm2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 156
  • tm1.jpg
    tm1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 158
Post pictures of cam shaft lobes number 1 cylinder and number 4 cylinder.

It is possible that someone has bolted the cam sprocket to the cam shaft in the wrong place breaking the key between the sprocket and camshaft.

Though that is unlikely because there is no reason to loosen cam sprocket bolt on your engine.

Except the notch cam sprocket lines up with is in the alloy of the head

still looks right to me.

don't forget the photo is slightly above centre

Now the problem is tightening of tension pulley, whenever i thight ir, t move the crank sprocket or cam pulley . I don’t have locking tool

If i do this , then the flywheel does not remain at zero
You don't have to keep the marks aligned while tensioning the belt just rotate crank twice after tensioning and make sure marks line up again.

Before tensioning you fit belt with marks lined up but the belt has to be tight on the right hand side . Slack on tensioner side

Then when you tension belt and turn crank twice the alignment marks still line up.

If you have slack in belt on right hand side before tensioner is set then marks won't be aligned afterwards.

If you have slack in belt on right hand side before tensioner is set then marks won't be aligned afterwards.

Thanks alot, i followed your instructions and was successful !

But the problem of excessive fuel consumption remains same ! What to do next ?

No engine codes at all , but fuel consumption is still 10.3 litres/100 km

You don't have to keep the marks aligned while tensioning the belt .

Sorry, I don't agree with this statement.
When I changed my cambelt recently the crank was 15deg behind the cam due to this kind of false statement, the crank and cam MUST be locked in position when tightening the tensioner pully or the valves will open out of phase which means losing compression on the compression and power stroke early. potentially burning valves etc as well.

By the way now my crank to cam timing is spot on , the engine is running the smoothest it has ever since I have owned it.

Sorry, I don't agree with this statement.
When I changed my cambelt recently the crank was 15deg behind the cam due to this kind of false statement, the crank and cam MUST be locked in position when tightening the tensioner pully or the valves will open out of phase which means losing compression on the compression and power stroke early. potentially burning valves etc as well.

By the way now my crank to cam timing is spot on , the engine is running the smoothest it has ever since I have owned it.
Hi Johno,

Do you have variable valve timing engine?

Cheers Jack

Nobut I am a mechanical engineer and engines are my brad and butter
the crank and cam must maintain a direct relationship when set up.

Nobut I am a mechanical engineer and engines are my brad and butter
the crank and cam must maintain a direct relationship when set up.
I think we are agreeing.
The op was worried that when he was tensioning the belt the crank or cam or both were moving a tiny tiny bit. That's why I posted as long as the marks line up after tension set and after engine rotated two revs then it's good.
The non vvt engine has no provision for locking tools to be fitted.
The cam sprocket is keyed to cam shaft.
Jack

Did you check that the cam sprocket is bolted to the cam shaft in the correct position, there should be a slot in the camshaft that a bump (key) part of cam sprocket goes into before the bolt is tightened. Sometimes the bump on cam sprocket is broken off the cam sprocket, then although the sprocket alignment mark is correct with new belt the cam shaft is not in the correct alignment.

I think you will find it has,
Or how did I set my engine up?
you have to remove the cam cover and insert a bar with an angle plate into the slot on the camshaft by cylinder 4, the crank is locked with a tennis racket shaped plate that bolts to the crank pully and held at the lower cover securing bolt.
cam and crank are locked , you only then need to worry about ensuring the cambelt from cam to waterpump and crank is tight before tensioning on the 'lose' side.
by tensioning without the locks in place you risk crank and cam timing from going 'out of phase' I have seen this on a MC with devastating results due to the interference aspect of that particular engine.

As the OP is still suffering the fuel issue, what is the harm in doing the job correctly?

I think you will find it has,
Or how did I set my engine up?
you have to remove the cam cover and insert a bar with an angle plate into the slot on the camshaft by cylinder 4, the crank is locked with a tennis racket shaped plate that bolts to the crank pully and held at the lower cover securing bolt.
cam and crank are locked , you only then need to worry about ensuring the cambelt from cam to waterpump and crank is tight before tensioning on the 'lose' side.
by tensioning without the locks in place you risk crank and cam timing from going 'out of phase' I have seen this on a MC with devastating results due to the interference aspect of that particular engine.

As the OP is still suffering the fuel issue, what is the harm in doing the job correctly?
Oooòoo shoot but thank you for reminder.

the change date from fixed to freewheeling cam sprockets slipped my mind during the course of this thread. I knew I was asking for pictured of cam lobes for a reason! That request was just ignored.

Is your engine the later version with freewheeling cam sprocket?
If yes please say if it looks identical to the ops photo of his sprocket.

Certainly if it is the later engine with freewheel sprocket locking tools should be used and the belt changed when all pistons half way on their strokes.
Totally different to method for keyed sprockets which has belt change at tdc.

Last edited:
DO NOT LOOK FOR KEY ON CAMSHAFT SPROCKET YET.

there was a change of design of sprocket and I don't know if your sprocket should have a key or not.

[https://cdn-a]

Pugglt Auld Jock

Get Your Own Title

19-10-2018

Earlier this year I did the timing belts on both our 2010 1.2 Panda and my boy's 1.4 8valve Punto. The Punto has the same "variator" hydraulic sprocket which you show in your second picture and the Panda, with it's Euro4 Evo 2 engine, has a solid sprocket as shown in your first picture. Both engines have "free" sprockets. That is to say they do not have keyways so if you slacken the sprocket retaining bolt the sprocket can spin freely on it's shaft and there's no way back without timing tools! I think the 2010 1.2 euro4 Evo2 engine was the last to use a solid*cam*sprocket (and, maybe, the first with the "free" sprocket?) which could explain why your 2011 has the variator type pulley (euro 5?)

I have shamelessly copied that very useful info from Jock

Back