Technical Fuel pump 1.1

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel pump 1.1

Aka0019

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Apologies if I should have posted an introduction first but just after some advice if possible.

I have a 2009 1.1 and it's started juddering when driving. It happens in all gears. I know I will be cursed for this but I drive round on the red a lot and even leave it to almost empty before putting fuel in. I know, I know! From what I've read it's more than likely a damaged fuel filter, does that sound like the case? If so I'm aware they are in the tank so is removing the tank and fitting a new filter a big job?

I was going to change the plugs first though so would that be the best thing to do, or is there anything else to check first?

I will always keep plenty fuel in the tank from now on too!

Many thanks
Andrew

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Apologies if I should have posted an introduction first but just after some advice if possible.

I have a 2009 1.1 and it's started juddering when driving. It happens in all gears. I know I will be cursed for this but I drive round on the red a lot and even leave it to almost empty before putting fuel in. I know, I know! From what I've read it's more than likely a damaged fuel filter, does that sound like the case? If so I'm aware they are in the tank so is removing the tank and fitting a new filter a big job?
Posible but unlikely
I was going to change the plugs first though so would that be the best thing to do, or is there anything else to check first?

I will always keep plenty fuel in the tank from now on too!
No need, mine spends more time with the light on than off, it's more of a problem if you alway keep it well topped up in the old days, modern fuel, plastic tanks an so forth
Many thanks
Andrew
Let's start at the begining

started juddering when driving. It happens in all gears

Is it random, worse warm, worse cold, only when accelerating, worse coasting,

Does it rev okay at idle
Is idle less smooth than normal

There's nearly always some sort of pattern

For example a loose ECU wire would be worse I've bumpy roads or heavy cornering

Hi Koalar,

Thanks for replying.

It's pretty much constant and does it both warm and cold. When idling it sounds like it's struggling and about to cut out.

Thanks

Hi Koalar,

Thanks for replying.

It's pretty much constant and does it both warm and cold. When idling it sounds like it's struggling and about to cut out.

Thanks
That great, it's probably not running on all cylinders

Let me dig out a video

Back shortly

Worth doing this test first as you have to take the airbox of anyway

Assuming the engine stops and there is plenty of suction move on to

Take each ignition lead off in turn and start the car

These cars start and run on two cylinders, very badly, not super smooth but not too bad on three, you can also hear any misfire at the exhaust but it's hard to record on a phone

Any leads removed that does not make much of a difference are the cylinders that aren't contributing much

Your coil pack will be diffent. But you can just remove the lead off the plug

Last edited:
Hello again,

So I've just been out and did what you said...

I blocked the air intake with my hand and engine cut out straight away.

I then removed each plug one by one and all of them made a difference where it sounded really lumpy and was about to cut out.

I then took it out and it ran fine but only till it was up to temperature then it started chugging again. I did notice though that the temp was a bit up and down and not steady to it's usual position half way. It didn't overheat though. I also remembered that sometimes on a slight uphill in 3/4 gear it would sometimes chug very slightly but only in those gears uphill.

When I got back I tried the plugs again and all done the same as before.

Not sure that helps narrow it down.

Andrew

Yes it helps a lot

We know it's unlikely to be

a blown head gasket between cylinder 1 and 2

Or a melted inlet manifold

When was the last time the plugs were looked at

Normal plugs wear at 0.10-0.15mm for each 6000. The gap normall starts at 1mm and they start to fail at around 1.7mm, depending on the rest of the engine they are going to start to fail at the 30000 mark

Pull the plugs and post a picture in the same order the were in the car can sometimes be useful

These cars have a common proble with the thermostat, it's easy to check, start the car from cold, put your hand around the top hose it's the underside of the hose you are interested in, If the thermostat is properly shut it should remain cold for a quite a few minuites,

It doesn't normally cause a lack of power or misfire though

Ive had the car 3 years and it's never had them done in that time. I really need to take more care of it!

I will get the plugs out tomorrow and post a pic. Is it a 16mm spark plug socket I need?

Thanks again for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Ive had the car 3 years and it's never had them done in that time. I really need to take more care of it!

I will get the plugs out tomorrow and post a pic. Is it a 16mm spark plug socket I need?

Correct

A straight extension helps

IMG_20231215_200517.jpg

They not straight upright just be carefully not to cross threads as it's hard to see at the back

Facing the engine the two on the left lean to the left, the other two lean to the right

This may help..
4 cyl fire motors haven't changed much..

Thanks, Ill have to get one tomorrow. £1.20 in GSF 😳 prob only last one spark plug change! I'm hoping it's just the spark plugs then since I've not changed them for so long. I bought it on 12k and it's on 40k now 🙈

Thanks, Ill have to get one tomorrow. £1.20 in GSF 😳 prob only last one spark plug change! I'm hoping it's just the spark plugs then since I've not changed them for so long. I bought it on 12k and it's on 40k now 🙈
Bet you’ll be able to drive a bus through the gap! 🤣🤣🤣

Are you sure on this

I just bought some

I tryed all the usual suspects halfords, gsf, euro car parts, mini ford's, general traffic and many more, GF went into ECP and even the assistant said I don't think you will want to pay £14 each

I ended up paying £14 for a set of four

Be careful with GSF the cheapest ones are normally the wrong thread or out of stock

Not sure why there's also been a shortage of cheap clutch slave cylinders

Well it turns out the plugs aren't that bad, well at least I don't think so from looking at them but I'm no expert.

It was definitely £1.20 for the socket but they were out of stock so went to Euro Car Parts instead.

Screenshot_20231217_142825_com.android.chrome.jpg

Back