worst crash?

OK look very carefully at the back above the wheel arch

i suffered
bruised ego
gloating by family
stupid remarks to this day
and having to repaint the trailer

attachment.php

Ok, maybe I'm having an off day due to the hangover but I'm not seeing any evidence of an accident here? What happened?

January 5th 2006, a life changing moment not just for me, but for a mother and her family. I'd lost control mid corner and tried to correct the slide, over corrected, mounted the pavement then collided with a pedestrian and hit a tree sideways. I'd had few cuts and bruises to my head and knee plus a few fractured ribs. Unfortunately, the lady died later in hospital. Its something i'm not proud of but i had to learn the hard way and it totally changed the way i look at life.

OMG.

What sort of road was it? What speeds were involved out of interest?

(feel free to ignore if you don't want to talk about it).

OMG.

What sort of road was it? What speeds were involved out of interest?

(feel free to ignore if you don't want to talk about it).

I didn't know about it before, but the road was and always has been an accident blackspot. It was only until my incident did the council really do something about it. My only guess was that i was doing 40mph on a steady turn going up a hill. Maybe more, maybe less. The police couldn't prove i was going any faster than i admitted and i accepted liabilty that my actions at the time caused the accident. I was told that had i of braked rather than of tried to correct the slide, i may not of lost control. Its a pity though because at 21, cockyness kicks in and we believe we can handle a car like a pro. We've all played racing games where you can drift cars, hit a wall or something and just carry on. I don't know what i was thinking at the time but once i was at a standstill with the car in a tree, it hit home. It wasn't a game.

Bumped into an old mate last night in the pub he had an accident in his p reg astra a couple of months ago he managed to roll it (didn't find out how) the roof came down and has smashed 2 vertebrae in his neck...

resulting in a free flight in the Lincs air amublance several operations and some rather trick scaffolding made out of titanium and carbon fibre (a halo neck support) for several months to see if the vertebrae will recover

oh yeh and his other claim to fame is in the accident he took a road side control box down that controls the areas Specs average speed cameras :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oh my god. That must be mentally scared you. Killing someone by accident must blow.

Seems like you've learned your lesson and ate some humble pie so fair play to you.

Are you allowed to drive now? If you are I bet your insurance is killing you!.

I admit it was my mistake and an accident but unfortunately, some people will never see it that way. The police really looked after me though and didn't judge me or accuse me of anything and thats earned a massive amount of respect for them from me. I was charged with driving without due care and attention, fined £300 + £30 court costs and given a one year driving ban.

As for insurance, that Fiesta Zetec S was group 5 insurance, i only went for TPFT and that cost me £1100. Was my first car as well. It was also near my renewal date and when they sent me a renewal, it shot up to £4500... I didn't need it obviously as the car was destroyed and because i didn't have fully comp, i got nothing back from the £4500 i paid for the car.

First year of insurance on the 1.6 stilo... £2200 fully comp!!! Quite reasonable lol! Second year went down to £1100 and this year, £850... Going down which is always good.

Actually I don't believe that it was your fault.You weren't speeding , and nobody can accuse you for the reaction of trying to correct the slide.Maybe 60% of all drivers would do the same.I def would.It seems like the right way to save it , and just hitting the brakes will probably just get you off the road...You were unlucky.True what you said about the 21 year old driver who thinks he could beat Ayrton Senna but I don't think that's to blame for the accident..Sh*t happens!You just happened to fall into a big bunch of em.

I've been pretty lucky in that I've never had much of an accident.
Had one whilst I was a learner - not my fault I might add!
Was driving my mums car for the first time in town and was at the last set of traffic lights before our destination when an old guy in a rover went into the back of us. Nothing damaged with the exception of a few scuffs and the rover guys pride. I'm even more in the mindset now though that you should have to take some reaction test when you become an OAP and want to continue driving.

Actually I don't believe that it was your fault.You weren't speeding , and nobody can accuse you for the reaction of trying to correct the slide.Maybe 60% of all drivers would do the same.I def would.It seems like the right way to save it , and just hitting the brakes will probably just get you off the road...You were unlucky.True what you said about the 21 year old driver who thinks he could beat Ayrton Senna but I don't think that's to blame for the accident..Sh*t happens!You just happened to fall into a big bunch of em.

I agree with this too, It's human nature to try and correct and collect a slide, you won't come across many people that would just slam the brakes on mid corner. Like has been said, these things happen and I hope it hasn't done you too much damage.

I admit it was my mistake and an accident but unfortunately, some people will never see it that way. The police really looked after me though and didn't judge me or accuse me of anything and thats earned a massive amount of respect for them from me. I was charged with driving without due care and attention, fined £300 + £30 court costs and given a one year driving ban.

As for insurance, that Fiesta Zetec S was group 5 insurance, i only went for TPFT and that cost me £1100. Was my first car as well. It was also near my renewal date and when they sent me a renewal, it shot up to £4500... I didn't need it obviously as the car was destroyed and because i didn't have fully comp, i got nothing back from the £4500 i paid for the car.

First year of insurance on the 1.6 stilo... £2200 fully comp!!! Quite reasonable lol! Second year went down to £1100 and this year, £850... Going down which is always good.

Off topic - Where bouts in bury you from? I'm from Whitefield/Unsworth not far from Bury

I agree with this too, It's human nature to try and correct and collect a slide, you won't come across many people that would just slam the brakes on mid corner. Like has been said, these things happen and I hope it hasn't done you too much damage.

I tried to correct the slide because otherwise i would of gone head on into the oncoming car on the opposite side of the road. I didn't have time to react to the over correcting because i had already mounted the pavement by then and the rest you know. It was all a matter of seconds.

Thankfully, the council have seen sense and have installed a high grip patch on that bend. I still go past that bend and it always reminds me of what happened. It does hurt thinking about it but there's nothing i can change now.

I live near the Pilsworth Asda, only like 2 mins away. Next to all the Vue cinema, megabowl etc.

No pics, but a funny totalling experience:eek:

I was parked in the middle of the road at Longleat safari park when an armour fronted, zebra coloured tractor rammed my Alfa 156 from behind, it mangled the whole back end and wrote off the car. That was fun explaining to the insurance company.(n)

Then a fortnight later, I was driving my Alfa GTV home in the rain at night, I clipped a kerb going round a mini roundabout, the upper wishbone snapped, the wheel tucked under the car at a angle, I was bounced across the road, hit the other kerb and did the same thing to the right hand side wheel. I ended up on the pavement with both front wheels tucked neatly under the car. That one was a right off too!

Later the same month, in bad weather I parked my Audi A4 close to my garage door as we had people over to visit. In the morning I noticed a roof tile stuck out of the roof. It has blown off my roof and smashed into my parked car, without setting the alarm off! Wouldn't have happened if I had parked where I normally did.:mad:

Oh, finally, many years ago, I put my first car a Fiat Uno 60S through a dry stone wall on a bridge in Devon. The car front bumper ended up about 3 inches further back, all the lights worked, but the bonnet was completely bananaed. I straightened it all up with a lump hammer and kept driving it to uni for about 2 months until the Tax and MoT ran out, then scrapped it. I joke you not, there was nothing at all wrong with it electrically or mechanically. Problem was it had an 80s 'Personal' branded bodykit on it, so couldn't be fixed up for a lot less than I bought its replacement for.

Tenpin ;) Showing your age there! :p
Cool only round corner from me!

In my opinion many people would've done the same, I'd have done the same, one of them things that could happen 10 times and 9/10 you'd be okay or at least no casualties. These things happen don't they.

Oh yeah, forgot they changed the name!

Its all down to experience now though. I'll never let myself be in that situation again where i have to try and regain control of a car. Thankfully with the stilo, its still a lovely sporty looking car but i'd never thrash her or throw her into corners. That Zetec S made me feel a more confident driver but really now i know, i'm just an amateur. Its been almost 4 years now and when i see idiots racing off the lights and doing things boy racers do, it brings it all back, that used to be me.

But back to topic, Charly (the stilo) was looking seriously battered from the front by stone chips. I had her fixed up and color coded... A week later i'd scraped her lower bumper while parking... :bang:

Oh yeah, forgot they changed the name!

Its all down to experience now though. I'll never let myself be in that situation again where i have to try and regain control of a car. Thankfully with the stilo, its still a lovely sporty looking car but i'd never thrash her or throw her into corners. That Zetec S made me feel a more confident driver but really now i know, i'm just an amateur. Its been almost 4 years now and when i see idiots racing off the lights and doing things boy racers do, it brings it all back, that used to be me.

But back to topic, Charly (the stilo) was looking seriously battered from the front by stone chips. I had her fixed up and color coded... A week later i'd scraped her lower bumper while parking... :bang:

Even a pro touring car racer could make the same mistake... difference between track and road is the surface of a track is consistent (even when wet) a road is constantly changing. there can be oil/diesel/wet leafs/rubbish its soooo unpredicatable.

My only real accident was i parked the freshly painted/restored cento in a small gap between two cars. there was a lamp post right on the corner of my car (drivers side)
ran into my nans to pick something up and when i came out, the car infront had gone. i some how never seen the lamp post (or realised it was right near the bumper) i pulled off the curb and took the side of my bumper off :bang: Not impressed!

i no this dont really count coz ts a ped haha

but i come off at about 70mph when the piston seized but locking the back wheel. i broke both legs and was only wearing a t-shirt ( coz im a tw*t i no lol) and had cut everywere even on my arse . as in a cast for 11months and wakin again after about 13 months:rolleyes:

15926034a8229841665l.jpg

15926034a8229841323l.jpg

Back