Scams on the road.

Currently reading:
Scams on the road.

Liquid Knight

Distinguished member
Yesterday a pillock opened his door as I pulled into a parking space next to his car. He apologised as he couldn't see my bright yellow car with the headlights on (I assumed he didn't look). Due my evasive action my drivers side front wheel was over the line. When I was finished in the shop the chap was taking photo's of my car. When I asked why he said it so he could post it on a "Bad Parking" type page on Facebook.

Then it clicked. He was taking photo's of where my car ended up so he could make a false claim that I had hit him.

I pointed to the camera on my dash and said you need to delete those photo's a **** off before I have you arrested for insurance fraud.

Delete
Delete
Delete
Delete
Delete and drove off like his arse was on fire.

I spoke to a couple of Police officer friends during my shift last night and apparently this isn't a new thing.

Near miss on a car park.

Smiles and apologies.

Insurance claim for door damage and broken arm a few weeks later.

Be on the look out guys.

If you come across something similar be sure to post it here. Someone else might fall for that one hopefully now none of you guys will.

As I understand it opening a car door into the path of another road (car bike pedestrian) user is always considered the door openers fault. I think it's considered a specific type of "due care and attention".
That apart it does look this this is a scam and a new one on me so thanks for the warning. The lack of damage on your car would be some defence aginst this type of thing though.

Robert G8RPI.

Am not convinced, as pointed out if you open a door into the path of a car you only have yourself to blame, it would be the equivalent of driving deliberately into the back of someone and then trying to claim for your own personal injury.

Though I do believe it more likely someone was taking pictures of your car because you'd parked like a ****.

In any case you will have the whole thing on dash cam to share and show exactly what happened........?

I wonder what Most Easterly Pandas thinks about this.

Last edited:
On the road yes it is the responsibility of the person opening the door to ensure they do not interrupt the flow of traffic or the driver if the person opening the door is a minor. On a carpark if the driver were to have claimed the door was already open and I hit him it would be negligence on my part. At best my word against his that he opened the door once I was already in the space.

The only reason I wasn't set square parked was his actions so at best it was entrapment for the sake a couple of Facebook "likes", but the reaction after I called him out nailed it for me.

What camera do have btw, I'm looking into one, are they all battery powered or do they need plugging in to 12v socket. Do they need to be switched on and off for each journey?

The one I have at the moment is crap.

Streetwise HD £39.99 + £17.99 for a San Disc card.

It turns on whenever the cigarette lighter is live, but the playback quality isn't good enough in normal light to make out number plates and low light is just crap.

I've tried the black box DVR that was just as bad and only ran from it's own battery. The best so far is my my old Sony Satio phone mounted backward on a holder. :)

On a carpark if the driver were to have claimed the door was already open and I hit him it would be negligence on my part. At best my word against his that he opened the door once I was already in the space.

My word against yours is not a very good basis for a scam, at best he's going to get 50/50.

I assume you didn't happen to catch this incident on camera?

:yeahthat:

Would go down as a 50/50 all day long without independent witnesses or CCTV / Dash Camera footage etc.

We all know these scammers have accomplices the number of single occupant collisions that end up having four or more passengers come claim time is known for that. As suggested above this isn't new but the first time I've come across it.

Back