worst crash?

Currently reading:
worst crash?

. Sometimes you can keep yourself out of trouble by skill and judgement, but when things go wrong, it's almost all down to luck.

like the other night coming home braked at a set of lights as they changed

then spotted the van driver behind wasnt watching what was going on (too busy oggling a woman walking on the other side of the road :rolleyes:) and was closing on me too fast for him to stop without rear ending me :eek:

I took the option of "jumping" the lights which at this point had changed to red for about 2 seconds and took the immediate left turn to avoid as best i could any conflict with any other traffic which had just started to move and the fecker came through behind me straight across the junction :eek:

Well, er, struggling a bit here. Had a woman run into the back of my Uno in about 1992. I looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see her approaching at about 15 mph as I sat at some lights. What I noticed most was the driver looking at her passenger as they had a very animated chat. At the last second she looked forward with eyes almost as wide as her mouth and made contact at about 10 mph. Slight scuff on rear bumper. But my moment of "glory" came in 1979 on the M6 on the way back from seeing Led Zep at Knebworth when everybody in front came to a grinding halt. Except me. I had a couple of excellent witnesses in the shape of 2 very nice chaps sitting on the hard shoulder in a very nice white Jaguar XJ6 with orange stripes down the sides and blue lights on the roof. The car was drivable although slightly bent. That's about it really. There is a temptation to say mine was bigger than yours; but I think I can consider myself lucky that that's
not the case. Sometimes you can keep yourself out of trouble by skill and judgement, but when things go wrong, it's almost all down to luck.

Actually it was my mums lol..she listened to ATS when she said she wanted cheap but good and they then advised these...How stupid!! :bang:

Since i've had this one though i'd never skimp on tyres...with the golf it was understeer heaven...was so bad that is was just funny and easily controllable...or at least it was when it was deliberate. But with how the GPS's handle i don't think i'll ever reach the limit of these tyres or the chassis...if i do that i will die i'm sure! :eek:

car_crushing_7_420x315.jpg

I win! :slayer:

thats what happened to mine...
for all we know yours had a key mark on the side, and they wrote the car off, then crushed it coz it wasn't worth the repair :p

we want pics of how it ended up after the crash, not after it was crushed lol

fiat coupe - new wheel baring shattered. Wheel detached. Smashed into crash barrier, bounced off and rolled down an embankment and eventually landed on its roof.

Picture_53.jpg

The top of the car is crushed, its just a little higher than the bonnet.

Picture_56.jpg

Blood on roof steering wheel etc.
Picture_55.jpg

Not as bad as some but i am lucky to be alive :)

fiat coupe - new wheel baring shattered. Wheel detached. Smashed into crash barrier, bounced off and rolled down an embankment and eventually landed on its roof.

Picture_53.jpg

The top of the car is crushed, its just a little higher than the bonnet.

Picture_56.jpg

Blood on roof steering wheel etc.
Picture_55.jpg

Not as bad as some but i am lucky to be alive :)

Yeah shocking how the roof has came in :eek:.

Shame about the coop too :(

like the other night coming home braked at a set of lights as they changed

then spotted the van driver behind wasnt watching what was going on (too busy oggling a woman walking on the other side of the road :rolleyes:) and was closing on me too fast for him to stop without rear ending me :eek:

I took the option of "jumping" the lights which at this point had changed to red for about 2 seconds and took the immediate left turn to avoid as best i could any conflict with any other traffic which had just started to move and the fecker came through behind me straight across the junction :eek:
It's odd how sometime you don't think of things at the time, which is why it's a good idea to run through little scenarios as situations develop along the lines of "What happens if....." A mate of mine asked me when I looked in the mirror and saw the car getting closer, why I didn't sound the horn. It hadn't occurred to me because the car was behind. But then again, it might have worked. Just as it might have done in your case. As it happens you obviously made a very quick decision which was the right one. A good choice.

I see liams had the roof cut off, same as me. was he injured?

Just a wee bit, doesn't sound as bad as yours but was off nearly a year:-

fractured knee bone left leg = full leg cast

smashed lower right arm - 40 stitches+2 metal plates+13 screws = full cast

facial lacerations = 50 stitches

glass in eye = 8 stitches in eyeball

all took 51/2 hours theatre time and I was pretty much house bound for 5 months after 8 days in hospital, had crutches to get about but that was fun as you could imagine with right arm left leg in plaster LOL

It was some dark times back then but I am just happy to still be here.

Was raging for a bit at the work I had just but into the car, alloys and full brakes etc spent about £1500 in May then that happened in October but them are the breaks.

Coyle, that some amount of broken bones, you must have been going nuts in the hospital all that time.

Liam

Holy Cow, I thought it was hard finding a parking space in Manchester, it must be hell over your way.

funny thats how the police described it lol!

I've been in a civic at about 80mph that spun out of control into a tree, managed only to smack my head against the window with that.

the panda crash was mainly stiffness and depression for 3 months lol, even the other guy managed to walk away, although he drives a cavalier these days pmsl(y)

before pic:
14052007014.jpg

Last edited:
only crash I've had/been in was in my m8s Ibiza Cupra (2001 model) on one of the various country roads where I live, road was wet, he didn't listen to me, went about 60 (60 speed limit) around a corner, back end kicked out, he tried to correct but no chance and slid about 50mphish into a ditch into a tree and wrote the car off lol, he was gutted.

Just a wee bit, doesn't sound as bad as yours but was off nearly a year:-

fractured knee bone left leg = full leg cast

smashed lower right arm - 40 stitches+2 metal plates+13 screws = full cast

facial lacerations = 50 stitches

glass in eye = 8 stitches in eyeball

all took 51/2 hours theatre time and I was pretty much house bound for 5 months after 8 days in hospital, had crutches to get about but that was fun as you could imagine with right arm left leg in plaster LOL

It was some dark times back then but I am just happy to still be here.

Was raging for a bit at the work I had just but into the car, alloys and full brakes etc spent about £1500 in May then that happened in October but them are the breaks.

Coyle, that some amount of broken bones, you must have been going nuts in the hospital all that time.

Liam

I was going nuts mate. but id rather be there that 6ft under. thats how i had to look at it. bones heal, and so did i :)

my worse so far... not counting the rally-cross ones, but no pics from those...

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

got hit from behind by a Opel Frontera at about 60km/h (i wasn't moving)...

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0001-1.jpg

and thrown into a VW Golf's rear (which was stopped in front of me)...

ex-GF ended up in hospital, her seat broke with the impact and she got thrown against the dash... no major injuries, but we did got pretty sore for a couple of weeks...

The worst crash I had was two years ago in a Fiat Seicento. I was driving down a country road at about 50mph and overtaking a tractor. There was a mail van in front of the tractor which suddenly slowed down (thus occupying the space in front of the tractor that I was about to pull into) and turned right, immediately in front of me.

We collided and both spun 180 degrees, ended up facing each other from opposing hedges on opposite sides of the junction he was trying to turn into.

Both walked away un-injured (though he later tried to sue me claiming he was knocked out). Airbag didn't go off which surprised me. Needless to say the car was written off.

This was the result:

(the steering is pointing straight ahead there!)

Last edited:
thats the transits fault tho.
he didnt check his mirrors

Was a Corsa. And yes you would have thought that checking the mirrors was vital before turning right and that if a car was passing he should have waited until I'd passed before turning.

The police, however, tried to prosecute me for careless driving and the blame was attributed to me for overtaking past a "junction". (Said junction was actually an unmarked, un-signed, concealed farm track!

Last edited:
Back