General Winter Pandaring?

Currently reading:
General Winter Pandaring?

You tried spraying the sunnys with scotch guard?

Nope, the roof only leaks in certain conditions.
The weight of the snow and the slow thawing caused this.

The past few days have been my first time driving in snow, I was on a main road, about to turn left. I was doing about 15 mph, braked and the car skidded, but stayed straight. I just carried on and took the next turning.

At work theres alot of mk2 Puntos for some reason, they also suffer the same fate as Pandas, frozen locks 'n doors, aswell as ice on the inside. :D Manager in her Zafira leaves it unlocked, because her lock is frozen. Passenger side? Nope, it's blanked off... yeah, her remote doesn't work.

I had to give a guy a lift home, as his Punto hadn't started in the morning, he got to play "How do you escape a Panda?" :slayer: I turned the interior light on to help him.

My poundshop windscreen cover is the best investment i've ever made.
Silicone spray a close second.

yeah this snow is my first time snow driving. its quite simple.. keep it slow, give really long slowing down times and you;ll be ok.
also stay away from large hills, we live near one and theres a nice pile of insurance write offs down there at the moment... and a gritter that kinda finished them all off.
he slid down and cant get out as his diff lock failed. we heard him shout it out on there radio frequency.

i must admit it can be quite fun. a large open car park very low speed "snow drifting" just by using tick over is quite an interesting thing. torquey engines these 999cc fire engines.

got to love 4 wheel drive heh.

Good morning!! Last night on the way home from work, I drove through a place called Langdon Hills. The snow was pretty deep and in this weather, most cars avoid it. The 4x4 is amazing! Pulled up the hills without any problems. I never realised how bad my Stilo was in the snow, until now :p

Totally love this car(y)

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Good morning!! Last night on the way home from work, I drove through a place called Langdon Hills. The snow was pretty deep and in this weather, most cars avoid it. The 4x4 is amazing! Pulled up the hills without any problems. I never realised how bad my Stilo was in the snow, until now :p

Totally love this car(y)

Yeah, I've found the same thing. Yesterday I went out into the local single track lanes where the salt spreaders never go :). I found a REALLY!!! steep hill white with snow, so with a little concern I ventured up. Just drove up, not even a hint of wheel spin, is there nothing to stop these Pandas?

It's all very well having fun in these cars but we do need to remember that they are valuable, so two things....

1. Don't get too carried away, always drive with as much space around you as possible, and be aware that some other idiot can invade that space at any time so try to have in mind an escape route should you need it.

2. Salt is bad. So thoroughly wax the Pandas you're using, underneath and on top, in advance of this weather. Don't just rely on it alone though, give the car a jet wash off regularly, especially underneath.

Thanks for that good advice Vern, a frozen jet wash can sometimes the delay in getting my Panda washed down, i was looking at diesel Karchers, they are extremely expensive new but 2nd hand can be a few hundred pounds.

We had ALOT of snow last night up here so i decided to take the moor road to work. The Panda cruised up without a problem, i only had to engage 4wd twice.
20130121_080359_zpsda480e6b.jpg

20130121_075544_zps14fcb6a8.jpg

Michael

Yeah, I've found the same thing. Yesterday I went out into the local single track lanes where the salt spreaders never go :). I found a REALLY!!! steep hill white with snow, so with a little concern I ventured up. Just drove up, not even a hint of wheel spin, is there nothing to stop these Pandas?

It's all very well having fun in these cars but we do need to remember that they are valuable, so two things....

1. Don't get too carried away, always drive with as much space around you as possible, and be aware that some other idiot can invade that space at any time so try to have in mind an escape route should you need it.

2. Salt is bad. So thoroughly wax the Pandas you're using, underneath and on top, in advance of this weather. Don't just rely on it alone though, give the car a jet wash off regularly, especially underneath.
Hi Vern,
Thanks for the advice. I've given my car a good wax on top and once the weather settles down, I plan to waxoyl underneath using Dragon Mans method of a washer pump and a flexible hose to get in those awkward to reach places.

I'll invest in a karcher jet wash soon, but in the meantime, its a bucket, sponge and elbow grease ;)

the washer pump works really well but if you really want to get good coverage try and get hold of the punto's 1.2L 16v fuel pump. that heats up and pumps the runny wax at 2 bar worth of pressure. through my home made 360 degree nozzle it squirted an easy 3 meters. in all directions.
just make sure you put something under the sills drain holes. i used rain guttering so it drained (gushed) out from the drain holes of the sills then ran back down into the bucket the pump was in and pumped it back into the sill.

its never going to rust from the inside heh.
it even managed to get up the pillar and spray a bit on the roof. just remember to take out the seat belt mechanism as it will get covered in it, and any holes leading in to the car such as where the rear panels are, remove them and mask them up with plastic.

i did end up filling every nook and cranny with over 15L of wax. worth it though. i'd like to see rust now try to get in to it. heh extreme rust prevention.

i made sure my little panda is not going to rust.

John, serious question, how long does it take you to wax oil, and if I brung my 750L to yours and came with all the wax oil how much would you charge?I know you'd probably be able to do a much better job then I ever would!

Yes a good question Jon.

I bl(censored!)y hate waxoyling and have a load (Panda's, 127's and a Strada) need doing - some need replacement undersealing too ideally before waxoyling. So another serious question - does anyone want to give me a sensible quote for sorting them in the Spring - Dragon Man ?

Maybe a business opportunity John? (y)

Last edited:
heh easy guys. :p

hmm i have never thought about doing it for others. the waxoyling bit is quite easy undersealing is a pain..

it took me about 3-4 days to waxoyl talon, but that was because i was doing a load of other jobs and could not use the pit at the time. it really is an easy thing to do. jack the car up.. look for a hole anywhere, feed the nozzle in as far as it will go while rotating the pipe, start spraying it and slowly pull the pipe out as you spray it. that way you are not pushing the pipe through all the waxyol.
heh it does also helps if you have the right stuff. if i was going to go into doing it for folk i'd have to get/make some kind of really good nozzle that is quite thin yet can spray 360 degrees. fish tank air tubing is ok but it does have the tendency to bend when it is in the sill. i could sort that out if i ran say a length of wire down the pipe before i put the nozzle on.
the pump makes the thing, idealy if i had the stuff to do it i'd make it so the pump runs all the time and the wax flow is controlled by switching a Y type valve (preferably electronically via a solenoid), one end going to the nozzle and the other end pumping back into the bucket. to help warm the waxoyl up.

ill have to have a look on ebay and see if i can get all the bits together to make it all up. as the one i made was a dead bodge job one use thingy. (though the pump is still good).

as for the undersealing.. heh put it this way, when the prop shaft was off and i did the last bit of undersealing under the support i actually uttered "thank **** that's done" heh.
yeah it is a pain. sadly i do know of 2 bits that i cant get into on talon where it is not undersealed. both in between the rear leaf spring mounts and the rear sill jacking points. i think i would have to use some underseal spray... and i dont like spray as it does not go on thick enough for my liking. (i do think though that if i got the tin of underseal hot enough, i could "spray" it on using the remains of the waxoyl pump i made)

the one thing that has to be the most annoying thing with it is the fact you have to take any loose old stuff off... and underseal only goes loose because of 2 things, its been scraped by something.. or its been covering has rusted from underneath, and lets face it thats never a good thing as the de-rusting bit can take forever, not including any horrors that could be found. and lets face it.. when dealing with (on average-ish) 24 year old fiats, it is likely you could find a few.

heh the undersealing job.. took me... about 3 months >_<. ok thats over the whole project because i did not do it all in one go (stuff in the way, fixing other things, etc)
but all in all i'd say to do a really thorougher job it would take about a day to do.
probably more easy to do on a 2wd panda because theres less stuff to clean up and underseal.

hmm, ill have to think about it.. as for prices.. damned if i know. i'd give mates rates of course but i dont even know what the going rate is :/

deffo have to stock up on paper coveralls if i did this.

just thought....
heh big sheet of tarpolin.. the pump is 12v... could bring the needed things with me.. pandas have a cracking jack, and i could bring axle stands.... do the waxoyl jobs at the panda camp? lmao please.. heh lets try to avoid panda related jobs at the camp >_<

Definitely worth thinking about John. The 2 needing re-undersealing are over 30 years old and the original stuff has dried out and is flaking. Nothing too drastic under there from when they were on ramps.

Don't really have the time or inclination to do it - messy orrible job - but don't let me put you off! (y)

Back