Technical Winter snow tyers

Currently reading:
Technical Winter snow tyers

mearcat15

hi all I'm looking to put 4 new snow tyers on a 1992 panda fire taking her out to France this winter around the ski resorts so any info on the best ones to by would be great

I got some Nokian snow tyres last year and found them to be very very good.

I bought them on eBay for £40 and they were nearly new with 8mm tread on them. They have wear indicators moulded into the tread, there is an 8 6 4 and 2 moulded in and as they wear the numbers disappear which is very clever.

It's also worth noting that Nokian were the inventors of snow tyres

Yeah we went Continental with the polar trip and they were amazing

Attachments

• 1442092607362.jpg
    1442092607362.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 34
I got some Nokian snow tyres last year and found them to be very very good.

I bought them on eBay for £40 and they were nearly new with 8mm tread on them. They have wear indicators moulded into the tread, there is an 8 6 4 and 2 moulded in and as they wear the numbers disappear which is very clever.

It's also worth noting that Nokian were the inventors of snow tyres
That's sounds good!
Do you mean full snow tyres or winter tyres?
Whatever, sounds like a good deal.

There are two types of tyres
ms-tyres-eng.png

1. tyres marked with M+S ( Mud+Snow) mark only;
Tyre+fitting_0023+B.jpg

M+S marking on the sidewall means "Mud & Snow". All winter tyres carry this mark, but the reverse is not true. All tyres carrying this mark are not winter tyres.
The mark M+S is the result of autonomous classification by manufacturers. It can also be found on all-season tyres and on tyres for 4X4s.

2. tyres marked with Mountain and Snow flake symbol
m_plus_s_tyre_marking_a.jpg

The only label that attests to measured winter capacities is a pictogram representing a snowflake on a mountain background. It was developed by American and Canadian manufacturers.It is known by the acronym 3PMSF (Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake).

http://www.generaltire.eu/www/generaltire_eu_en/themes/wintertires/winter_tire_markings2.html

Last edited:
Please don't get me wrong but I would advise to AVOID any winter tyres made in China etc.

Do not try them as you will regret at first bend.

I had two sets of tyres through out last 6 winters on a spare set of steelies, Noramally fitted mid October till mid April. They were GoodYear Ultra Grip 7 and Ultra Grip 7+, first set done 4 seasons (when thread dept dropped to 4mm mark), second set done only 2 seasons as the car was px'ed with them. rough cost for set was £280, buy my all-season tyres lasted twice as long - so you dont have to spend extra money as the not winter tyres are not getting used during winter times.
My Primera (FWD) estate was unstopable in fresh snow, etc., i was taking B roads to avoid getting stuck in OMG snow chaosss.

74187_406391219448829_412829395_n.jpg

1517833_555996451154971_1184940356_n.jpg

Now I've got Subaru Legacy with 4 nearly new Barum (polaris 3?)Winter tyres so i'm only afraid of the salt not snow.

Please don't get me wrong but I would advise to AVOID any winter tyres made in China etc.

Do not try them as you will regret at first bend.

Wife's gone for the cheapest available Chinese winters for the last few years, been through a couple of sets of different manufacturers and never any bother. Even a cheap set of winters puts you way ahead when the slippery stuff comes down compared to people still driving on summers. Only bugbear compared to the Contis I put on was noise level was higher.

Back