Technical Where to buy TA oil from

Currently reading:
Technical Where to buy TA oil from

A pic from hand book.. 20180306_183355.jpg

Not all TA's will have this specification of oil; it was changed on later models and, one would hope, so was the handbook.

NEVER rely on information contained in a handbook for someone else's car. Use the information that's contained in your own handbook. Manufacturers can, and do, change specifications at any time during a car's production run, and the handbook for your specific car should reflect this.

Last edited:
Not always.
We bought a brandnew 2016 Euro 6 Alfa Giulietta MultiAir two years ago, came with the wrong Euro 5 handbook...

Anyway, with the MultiAir engines the Euro 5 ( until about 2014) use 5W40 C3 oil, the Euro 6 versions after 2014 use 0W30 C2 oil.
I assume it's the same for the TwinAir engines.

0w 30 was in my TA 4x4 from 10k miles if not before. Very quiet, zero usage and no issues with any funny noises. Worth paying extra even for early cars.

Would it be wrong to use 0W30 in an older '12 TA?

gr J

In almost all cases I would say yes.
I changed viscosities, quality, and so on, on lots of cars and bikes without problems at all.
But with the MultiAir and TwinAir units I wouldn't risk anything.
The function of those units depends heavily on oil ( viscosity and quality).
A lot of those units have failed due to wrong oil, so I would stick to the handbook ....!!
I'm a Castrol guy all my life, but since we own an Euro 6 Alfa Giulietta with the 1,4 MultiAir Fiat engine, I use Petronas ( or Selenia...;)) cause Castol doesn't make a 0W30 C2 synthetic, infortunatley..

Last edited:
In almost all cases I would say no.
I changed viscosities, quality, and so on, on lots of cars and bikes without problems at all.
But with the MultiAir and TwinAir units I wouldn't risk anything.
The function of those units depends heavily on oil ( viscosity and quality).
A lot of those units have failed due to wrong oil, so I would stick to the handbook ....!!
I'm a Castrol guy all my life, but since we own an Euro 6 Alfa Giulietta with the 1,4 MultiAir Fiat engine, I use Petronas ( or Selenia...;)) cause Castol doesn't make a 0W30 C2 synthetic, infortunatley..

Surely if there are no changes to the construction and tolerances in the engine and the manufacturers change the spec of the oil then there won't be an issue in the older engines. I'm sure Fiat service use the new spec in older TA engines, I've read it on here before.

It's the other way around, many of them use the old specs oil in the new engines....!!
They have plenty of the old specs oil in store, and not that many new Euro 6 engines around, it's not economical to have the new specs oil in bulk, I'm afraid...

Interesting!! Surely they should be carrying out Fiats recommendations for warranty reasons.

Do we know that? I've yet to see any authoritative statement on that subject, either way.

Hi JRK.
I'm beginning to think that Fiat do themselves no favours being so secretive. Any motor engineer/mechanic that is a questioning type that works for a Fiat dealership surely would look or ask???
Im now of the opinion that you're better with the FIRE engine full stop. Let's hope there are no future issues with the Firefly.
Anyway I'm far too off topic considering the original question was straightforward.
Sorry for rambling on...... Too much time on my hands.:eek:

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy the Selenia Digitek 0W-30 Twin Air engines oil from? I'm hoping you folk have got some advice from your own experiences of buying the oil, either on-line or from a high street retail supplier, as to where the best place is. The Fiat dealer that I bought my TA from very unhelpfully changed franchises a few months after I bought the car so I don't think I can go back there for the oil, and in any case, is a Fiat dealer the cheapest place or will I be paying over the odds? Any advice as to reliable online outlets?

I could top up with another brand of 0W-30 oil I guess but as it is still under warranty I thought I had better stick to the 'proper' stuff.

My TA has used about 2/3rds from the top to bottom marker on the dip stick in 9 months and 5000 miles - is this normal for a brand new TA or should I be asking questions under the basis of the warranty?

Mine has dropped about 1/3 of the distance on the stick in 7000 miles. I do drive sympathetically most of the time these days. Dealers are generally not cheap but some do internet sales adn offer great discounts some times. Trust the general internet at your peril. There are an alarming number of counterfeit things on offer including oil. I prefer to pay for a rock solid genuine product supplier. Its costly though.

To answer my own question:
Was over at my local Fiatdealer (go-to place for over 20 years now) and the mechanic said to absolutely use 0W30 in the older twinairs as well and change oil very regular. (at least once a year regardless of how much it's used)

gr J

I use Fiat trained garages..as Im hoping they know where to obtain..and use the correct oil.

The FIRE engined panda.when in FIAT warranty...went to a multifranchise dealer..and they never once used Selenia..

So it didnt go there again once out of warranty.

(The oil filter failing the day after an expensive service didnt help..)

To answer my own question:
Was over at my local Fiatdealer (go-to place for over 20 years now) and the mechanic said to absolutely use 0W30 in the older twinairs as well and change oil very regular. (at least once a year regardless of how much it's used)

gr J

The Euro 5 TA and MA engines are designed for 5W40 C3 oil, but anyway, if your mechanic gives you a written warranty, you can use any oil he advises...!!
Otherwise, stick to the handbook.

The Euro 5 TA and MA engines are designed for 5W40 C3 oil, but anyway, if your mechanic gives you a written warranty, you can use any oil he advises...!! Otherwise, stick to the handbook.

Is it not possible that Fiat (while not of course publicly admitting it) realised part-way through the TA's production cycle that 0W30 works better in the TA than 5W40, which is why they now recommend it, but still stubbornly recommend 5W40 for the earlier versions, because otherwise they'd be admitting that they got it wrong at the start? (with obvious implications as regards liability for failure).

Or am I being too cynical?

Last edited:
Back