General Mongol Rally 2025 - which Panda to buy?

Currently reading:
General Mongol Rally 2025 - which Panda to buy?

it will weigh a lot more with three adults and a month of gear plus spares. Might be an excuse to take two cars and do a comparison against a panda 4x4?
So will a Panda, with its higher kerb weight to start, I think you're talking swings and I'm citing roundabouts :ROFLMAO:

Lots of off the shelf tuning available for 660cc Kei cars, I note.

That's too nice to take!
Half the price, none of the (air)con

So will a Panda, with its higher kerb weight to start, I think you're talking swings and I'm citing roundabouts :ROFLMAO:

Lots of off the shelf tuning available for 660cc Kei cars, I note.
So I have heard back and the organisers allow the 1.2 Panda 4*4 despite the extra couple of cc’s. So the question now becomes is an older 1.2 better for the Mongol Rally than a newer Cross 0.9TA and are either as good as a mini Mitsubishi Prajero 0.66cc ?

Half the price, none of the (air)con
I like this car. Could be a winner. Views?

So I have heard back and the organisers allow the 1.2 Panda 4*4 despite the extra couple of cc’s. So the question now becomes is an older 1.2 better for the Mongol Rally than a newer Cross 0.9TA and are either as good as a mini Mitsubishi Prajero 0.66cc ?
The 1.2 could be easier to maintain on the road, everything around the engine is easily accessible. TA less so, especially if the timing cover springs a leak!

The TA seems to need the right oil which may be an issue if you suffer an oil leak in the arse end of nowhere and supplies are limited.

Spike

My 1.2 had a hard life and several ‘accidents’…was still going strong wehn I took it off the road at 150k miles…as a project to convert to a small pickup, that just sat in the barn

Buy this one. Don't buy a TA. :)

... but Japanese is almost always a more reliable option, of course.

Buy this one. Don't buy a TA. :)

... but Japanese is almost always a more reliable option, of course.
I’ve messaged the seller. Looking at its MOT history I suspect it will need lots of preventative repairs to suspension and steering. Also some upgrades and possibly a 1 or 2 inch lift. Any recommended sites to purchase spare parts?

I’ve messaged the seller. Looking at its MOT history I suspect it will need lots of preventative repairs to suspension and steering. Also some upgrades and possibly a 1 or 2 inch lift. Any recommended sites to purchase spare parts?
You’d be surprised how capable it is as standard, just with decent grippy tyres…rather than a lift, hammer in the rear or front arches and front of rear arches, and 8-12mm wheel spacers and you can get greater ground clearance with bigger/higher profile tyres…I put 185/85x 15 proper M&S tyres on standard 1.2 4x4 (road legal rally tyres from X-Tyres)

Back