What's made you smile today?

Currently reading:
What's made you smile today?

Brexiteers would get over it? Not a chance. Farage will go on and on whipping up a frenzy amongst the hard of thinking until people stopped giving him air time.

As for the economy doing fine... tell that to all those whose jobs have already gone or will be going as a direct result of us not having a suitable trade agreement with our largest trading partner.

And don’t be taken in by the employment figures, we aren’t a nation of unemployed people, we are a nation of under employed people. Zero hour and short contracts for people who want to work full time doesn’t paint a picture of economic success to me.

Either way, Brexit: it's happening (y)

Will of the people. We're in a country where people are smart enough to do their own homework. Hold on to their own opinions and beliefs. Yours are by no means any more factual than those on the opposite side of the Brexit debate.

It still amazes me though, how loud and biased the media was against leaving the EU and yet... people still voted that way. Wow.

Sadly, the opinions and beliefs are founded on the rantings of a near racist merchant banker (in every sense of the word) who has made a career out xenophobia and casual racism.

Then you have his co-conspirator - Boris and his "I love the EU, and it's fantastic that Turkey will be given the opportunity to join" documentary some years back, who is now going with Brexit because it gives him an opportunity to make money and become PM.

Unfortunately the utopian view that 'they need us more than we need them' hasn't been true since the 1950s and earlier. And, let's face it, we were a nation of nasty racist war-mongerers back then, so it's hardly something we should aspire to in the future.

I'm yet to meet a single Brexiteer who can actually give me a real example of how the EU makes their life worse. It's usually made up rollocks. But then you only have to look at the calibre of Brexit Party candidates - even they make it up as they go along and / or have beliefs that have absolutely no substance behind them. (Apparently the EU tell us what to teach in schools and have ruined our education system, ffs!)

You guys are such ‘bad losers’ over this whole Brexit thing. Glad that wasn’t the prevailing attitude during WW2 or there’d be no Br to exit.

Breathe. It’ll all be fine (whether you like it or not). ;-)

Thing is, it's not WW2. The EU has presided over one of the longest periods of peace and prosperity across the continent in history.

Farage with his air raid sirens making it sound like we're under attack is perfect for his xenophobic and knuckle dragging followers. They love it.

Patriotic, innit.

Thing is, it's not WW2. The EU has presided over one of the longest periods of peace and prosperity across the continent in history.

Farage with his air raid sirens making it sound like we're under attack is perfect for his xenophobic and knuckle dragging followers. They love it.

Patriotic, innit.

The EU is not the sole reason nor credit for the longest period of peace in the continent. It’s the people who lived through it and saw it for what it was, and naturally, could agree that nothing like this should ever be faced by anything on the earth ever again. As we can all understand.

In fact, a Europe wide army... lack of democratic process... sound familiar?

Oh wait, people DID vote Hitler in....

Alright; now that’s getting a little carried away.

But your point illustrates a very sound principle for wanting to leave the EU. That original EU agreement and trade provision? Fantastic. No issues there.

What the EU has mutated into and exists as today? It goes way beyond trade. That’s the issue most people have with it, simply put.

It's utterly laughable the situation we're in.

Like it or not, the EU is at least partially responsible for an extended period of European harmony. A common goal, fair trade between countries.

And I still don't have any Brexiteers who can give me a reason why the EU has made their life worse than it would be without them.

Even more laughable is that we are now asking the EU to co-operate in defending shipping routes. But apparently, EU military co-operation is a bad thing!

It's an unmitigated disaster and every day we find out yet another trade deal that'll be torn up is going to nigh on bankrupt an industry or business - 300% import tax on British Cheeses in Canada. One of the biggest export markets for UK Cheddar!

But they're only cheesemakers - losing them is a price worth paying.

It's utterly laughable the situation we're in.

Like it or not, the EU is at least partially responsible for an extended period of European harmony. A common goal, fair trade between countries.

And I still don't have any Brexiteers who can give me a reason why the EU has made their life worse than it would be without them.

Even more laughable is that we are now asking the EU to co-operate in defending shipping routes. But apparently, EU military co-operation is a bad thing!

It's an unmitigated disaster and every day we find out yet another trade deal that'll be torn up is going to nigh on bankrupt an industry or business - 300% import tax on British Cheeses in Canada. One of the biggest export markets for UK Cheddar!

But they're only cheesemakers - losing them is a price worth paying.

https://images.app.goo.gl/KhdJJorLizKayY766

Still no reasons?

Come on, there must be one, really, really bad thing that the EU has done which has been detrimental to your life?

Something that makes it worth tearing up all our trade deals and leaving us at the ONLY nation in the world trading entirely on WTC tariffs?

Still no reasons?

Come on, there must be one, really, really bad thing that the EU has done which has been detrimental to your life?

Something that makes it worth tearing up all our trade deals and leaving us at the ONLY nation in the world trading entirely on WTC tariffs?

It’s the fundamentals of how they go about their operations.

Thankfully, we’ve avoided the Euro.

It’s not about ‘me’ personally.

I’m sure very little Germans during the Nazi reign were personally affected by Hitlers actions. And benefitted greatly economics wise. So I mean, if you think your logic is proving any sort of point, contemplate how it applies to that ;-)

And remember, Brexit’s happening. Whether you like it or not ;-)

And we won’t be the only country to leave, won’t be the end of the world and definitely won’t cause any sort of ‘non peaceful’ era.. :D

As I thought. A wishy-washy nothing.

It's astonishing anyone can vote to royally screw the country based on "I don't like the way they do things" without actually being able to point out anything in particular.

Comparing the EU to Hitler doesn't help your cause, either - just suggests you've been taken in by Farage's hate.

And remember, Brexit’s happening. Whether you like it or not ;-)

Will it though?

Theresa couldn’t get the job done, Cameron quit at the thought of having to deal with it. The vote was about the closest thing in history and it seems this still carries on in parliament and lords, there needs to be a clear majority to make anything happen and at the moment there appears to be no way that they will get anything through parliament, literally nothing will get a decent level of support.

As I thought. A wishy-washy nothing.

It's astonishing anyone can vote to royally screw the country based on "I don't like the way they do things" without actually being able to point out anything in particular.

Comparing the EU to Hitler doesn't help your cause, either - just suggests you've been taken in by Farage's hate.

Well at the end of the day, I’m not an expert. But neither are you. Try to remember that.

You can quote as many news articles and facts as you want, and so can I, to ‘prove our points’. But you’ll never accept the benefits of leaving in the slightest. It’s a total waste of my time.

I fully accept that there’s benefits of being in the EU, it’s undeniable. But I honestly believe we’re better off out of it. And I’m glad it’s happening. I don’t need to be an expert. Does everybody who votes have to have a full detail understanding of how parliament works? Not really. Just an insight to some current issues and a vague personal opinion in line with their own values to align with and vote for.

That’s the thing I’ve noticed. Most people I know who want out are capable of seeing the merit on both sides, and understanding that whichever you lean towards isn’t black and white. It’s all grey matter and it’s very subjective and personal.

But then there’s people like you, largely who want to stay in. Can’t understand why anybody would have a different opinion, but if they do they’re wrong and idiotic etc. That’s probably why your whole end of the Brexit debate is losing the battle.

You say people like Farage are causing the hate but I’d bet it’s down to people like yourself who don’t want to understand the other side and can only laugh at those who are on it. I’m not laughing at you or the EU. I don’t like it personally. It’s got its good, but it’s got its bad. That’s reality.

Clearly enough people for whatever reason want out. You’re in the minority. In want of a better word, deal with it. Get over it.

I mean, If you TRULY believe that we’re idiots and that’s the cause of your whole laughing at the rest of the population I can only pity you as you’re crowd are left behind. The history books will show that the scaremongering and fear of ‘staying in’ were greatly dramatised and whilst it’s definitely not going to be easy to leave, it’ll have been damn well worth it.

Perhaps you’ll be a bit more considerate and reflective of other viewpoints to your own after reading this? But I cannot see it. Prove me wrong? ;-)

Will it though?

Theresa couldn’t get the job done, Cameron quit at the thought of having to deal with it. The vote was about the closest thing in history and it seems this still carries on in parliament and lords, there needs to be a clear majority to make anything happen and at the moment there appears to be no way that they will get anything through parliament, literally nothing will get a decent level of support.

Oh, it’s happening. For the record (the record being this post) let it be known that SB1500 Said it’s happening, so that when it does indeed happen, I can be quoted as saying I had no doubt all along.

In the event that it doesn’t, I’m sure you can quote it too but ... it’s happening ;-)

I'm still waiting for that key answer, though.

Why. What is so bad about the EU?

How have they done anything to make life worse in the UK?

It should have been a question before you could vote in the referendum, because nobody actually has a fact based answer.

It's all chest beating 'patriotic, innit' nonsense, with air raid sirens, St. George's crosses and In-ger-lund shirts. Or it's pensioners who've reaped the benefits of being in the EU but are a bit scared of those brown people. The irony being that the EU is nothing to do with the people they don't like.

We remainers aren't the dinosaurs, the dinosaurs want it to be 1950 again, with Britain clinging onto an ever decreasing empire, the Home Service on the radio and everyone talking in the Queens' English.

Just remember this - only 33% of the population voted to leave. And that number is decreasing by the day as they all shuffle off to the afterlife.

We're a laughing stock on the world stage and nobody has yet to come up with a particularly strong argument for leaving - because, honestly, none of the stuff we've been told that was foisted on us by the EU was actually foisted on us by the EU. We're perfectly capable of fecking things up with our own laws - and the EU has probably had a positive influence in telling us 'don't be so bloody stupid' much of the time.

There is one blinding difference here SB1500, you live in Northern Ireland which is well known for its polarised political and religious views, the two often intertwined, the leaving of Europe, may cause significant problems with the boarder between Northern Ireland and the south which many in Northern Ireland would be happy to see, this is not necessarily based on anything other than the personal views of one group of people who don’t like another, not race, not religion, but literally I don’t like you because you live that side of this imaginary line.

Down here in southern England where the diversity is so vast I can literally walk down a street and meet people from all over the world and they are all equally lovely wonderful people, we probably have a different view.

3 days after the brexit vote I witness a absolute vile character tell one of my colleagues, “you can soon f**k off back to where you came from” now I know for a fact this man did not work because he was a client of ours, he had not worked for a very long time and lived off the state, the person he was talking too was a manager on £40k per year who owned their own house, had 3 children all born in the U.K. they where Spanish by birth and had travelled around multiple eu countries including Germany, they were fluent in German Spanish and English but chose to settle here, pay taxes here, bring up Children who worked and also paid taxes here.

This guy and there are many millions of them sadly is exactly the sort of idiot, (and have no doubt about it, that attitude is nothing but idiotic) that schumi is talking about.
You might not consider yourself to be like this, that’s fine, but i have Northern Irish family I know what it’s like there and how attitudes get carried from one friend to another, or one family member to another. These people are idiots, I would not say however that everyone who voted to leave is an idiot, but there are plenty of them.

Last edited:
What made me smile today, looking at the amount of photos I took in Amsterdam this weekend every time I saw a Panda... So many 169's and new types compared to the UK, it's astonishing how less 'stuck up' they seem when it comes to cars. I seen a LOT of old tiny Peugeots 106's etc too that mostly seemed to disappear from my local area about a decade ago too still plowing about!

Back