What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Mazdas back.. Good and bad news.

It cost me nothing...yay.

They've also done nothing...Boo.

Whine may be a wheelbearing starting to go but it's not far enough gone that they want to start replacing things as apparently it's not immediately obvious. So been told keep using it's alreet. When it gets worse bring it back...

The knock, Oh boy, well all they can see is the manicat is starting to deteriorate with age. This is a huge bit of metal on the back the engine running back into the transmission tunnel. Replacing it also requires two sensors replaced as well. Let's just say the quote for replacing that runs to 60% of what it's worth.

I think it's officially now a beater, I've said for long time I've said if it died tomorrow it doesn't owe me any money..if I start lashing money at it it's going to, the condition of the floors etc doesn't warrant keeping it mechanically A1. Think we'll be settling for "moves and is legal" from this point out.

We shall see how long she lasts..or it might be getting we buy any car'd :ROFLMAO:.
Two weeks ago my brother needed to get rid of his 2006 mazda 3 1.6 - we buy any car £150 less £50 fee why the heck don't they just say £100 . He would have to deliver to we buy any car
I had already found online a collection company that would pay £226

He went for the £226
and took my advice to notify dvla of sale online NOT by post.

Well that was quick. Both sides of road surfaced.
Until now, all work was done by teams, or at least, groups of men.
Now there is a lone worker, trundling up and down the road on a small roller. Hopefully they won't all disappear and forget him.:(

Edit: The surfacing truck and team are back, putting another thin layer on top of the first. At least the earlier damage is covered.

I bet you're all wishing it was finished, aren't you?

Last edited:
Two weeks ago my brother needed to get rid of his 2006 mazda 3 1.6 - we buy any car £150 less £50 fee why the heck don't they just say £100 . He would have to deliver to we buy any car
I had already found online a collection company that would pay £226

He went for the £226
and took my advice to notify dvla of sale online NOT by post.

WBAC are the source of cars for one of the large auction places and Cinch. I suspect they viewed that car as scrap and priced accordingly, I've already spotted the fees etc attached. It'll end up going through the auctions and end up on a used car lot somewhere with a grand or so Mark up...which should pay for the bits it needs ;)

I'd imagine the 226 quid literally priced it by weight? Looking at the various pick up places it ranges between 1700 odd to 2k for it. At a dealer it's worth 3 and a bit maybe a bit more but given it has known issues I'd rather not private sale it to someone.

WBAC are the source of cars for one of the large auction places and Cinch. I suspect they viewed that car as scrap and priced accordingly, I've already spotted the fees etc attached. It'll end up going through the auctions and end up on a used car lot somewhere with a grand or so Mark up...which should pay for the bits it needs ;)

I'd imagine the 226 quid literally priced it by weight? Looking at the various pick up places it ranges between 1700 odd to 2k for it. At a dealer it's worth 3 and a bit maybe a bit more but given it has known issues I'd rather not private sale it to someone.
All Very good points and interesting thank you.

Brothers car was not in good condition, 5 weeks mot left, 170,000 miles, needed minimum of two tyres for next mot, last 2 mot tests advised extensive under body corrosion, brother moving to Switzerland and left himself 7 days to deal with car!
Did I want to attempt to sell it for him....no.

My fatherin law lives opposite the village garage..
He went to fill his car..as he is doing a big trip next week

Pulls onto forecourt.. waits as a bloke finishes putting unleaded into his car and wanders in to pay

Father.in.law moves forward to get his fuel

The pump displays the last customer bought

ONE POUND 82PENCE of unleaded..

Queueing for queueing's sake

Ive managed to get my £25 a weeks unleaded locally.. but no Diesel around for days :eek:

I heard apparently some stations minimum charge of £30, if you can only get £15 in then you’re suddenly paying double for your panic buying! :eek::p

Watching the latest series of 'Crash Detectives'
BBC produced a very interesting programme.. unfortunately the Investigations can be pretty thought provoking.. with plenty of 'Accidents waiting to happen'

Be careful out there.. :)

The biggest problem on the roads is "other drivers". Sadly, they are also the ones with that same thought in their head, and sometimes, little else.

The biggest problem on the roads is "other drivers". Sadly, they are also the ones with that same thought in their head, and sometimes, little else.
My brother in law, latterly retired from a life as an RAF and airline pilot and a lovely "horizontally" laid back character (sadly no longer with us in this world) once said to me, as we were driving from Larnaca up to the old unspoilt Nisi Beach in Cyprus in the early '70's in his old VW Beetle "I approach driving as if everyone else on the road is actively trying to have an accident with me". Good advice for driving at any time I think?

My fatherin law lives opposite the village garage..
He went to fill his car..as he is doing a big trip next week

Pulls onto forecourt.. waits as a bloke finishes putting unleaded into his car and wanders in to pay

Father.in.law moves forward to get his fuel

The pump displays the last customer bought

ONE POUND 82PENCE of unleaded..

Queueing for queueing's sake

Ive managed to get my £25 a weeks unleaded locally.. but no Diesel around for days :eek:
£1.82 ?
Around here most places says minimal fill of 3L allthrough not sure it's actually enforced

Watching the latest series of 'Crash Detectives'
BBC produced a very interesting programme.. unfortunately the Investigations can be pretty thought provoking.. with plenty of 'Accidents waiting to happen'

Be careful out there.. :)

Just watching that now, read this and thought I'd have a look.

Got to say the bloke's in the black seat were very much natural selection waiting to occur. Only bloke with a seat belt on...the driver who was drunk. No one else in the car with a seatbelt on..one of whom died.

Its the cases where 'incapacitated drivers' take out members of the public that worry me the most

Up to the episode with the Astra and the Isuzu Dmax...

Even before the end one thing is clear, if she'd chosen not a to drive a 4x4 she'd not have ended up in the opposing carriageway having jumped a barrier that in an earlier episode had proven entirely capable of stopping a Luton van having a head on...

Last edited:
Going through the old bills in the glovebox to remove any receipts...

When I inevitably whinge about not having my own car...remind me in the last 12 months it's cost 21p a mile in repairs and servicing alone.

20211010_191321.jpg

Little bustard just text me to say it has a low battery and we should go for a drive...you will mate don't worry as long as you start up you'll be getting a one way trip tomorrow.

Last edited:
"I approach driving as if everyone else on the road is actively trying to have an accident with me". Good advice for driving at any time I think?

After a lifetime riding motorbikes, that's how I drive, but I'd add, "they are all looking for reasons to hit the brakes for no good reason" so give them space.

When you really watch what's going on, it's clear every third driver has but one response to every perceived hazard - hit the brakes. The same characters will sit in a single-track lane refusing to reverse or they wont make space when other cars are moving past. Do these people think that cars can suddenly jump sideways?

Last edited:
After a lifetime riding motorbikes, that's how I drive, but I'd add, "they are all looking for reasons to hit the brakes for no good reason" so give them space.

When you really watch what's going on, it's clear every third driver has but one response to every perceived hazard - hit the brakes. The same characters will sit in a single-track lane refusing to reverse or they wont make space when other cars are moving past. Do these people think that cars can suddenly jump sideways?
Riding, and falling off, motorcycles when I was young taught me an awful lot about reading road surfaces and trying to read the intentions of others on the road.

Being enthusiasts we are all interested in our vehicles and in trying to drive them well and sympathetically. One of the worst mistakes you can make is to assume that the person driving any of the vehicles around you has the same interest. Most do not. Of course they aren't "trying" to have an accident with you - well not many are - but they are often not engaged, not concentrating, don't have the experience and totally lacking in imagination or the ability to foresee the consequences of their actions/inattention. Give them all room. Don't "compete" with their silly games - if someone is trying to cut you up just drop back, If someone is aggressively pushing your back bumper just let them overtake when safe and they can go off and have their accident with someone else. Most of all though, whilst you may be thinking "what a rude prat" don't let it get you excited or upset. Life's too short to use some of it up being annoyed by things like this.

Ironically, up here in the Highlands in the Summer months, our roads have far more motorbikes from afar, all seem to be hell bent on death wish mode. Excessive speed, cutting corners, overtaking when unwise, I could go on. One year a motorbike passed me on a bend and met a car, he actually lent on my bodywork of my Punto that I had at the time. How he managed to be unhurt was a miracle. Punto was untouched :confused: We stopped further up the road at a Hotel car park. He was a young chap and very shocked. He was so so sorry, he came across as a scared wee boy.

I read the riot act and told him if he carry’s on like this, he will come a cropper. Never forget that. Unfortunately some come up here on holiday but never return home alive.

When you really watch what's going on, it's clear every third driver has but one response to every perceived hazard - hit the brakes.

This perpetuates through generations. With learners, once they have got the basics of controlling the car, I can start to see how their parents drive, as they have been absorbing this for most of their life. Correcting the problems can be difficult, and on their test, if they meet a problem they've not seen before, they'll revert to parent mode, and usually fail as a result.

Early on, they tap dance between accelerator and brake, apparently thinking one or other must be pressed at all times. Takes a while to convince them that they can just let go, and let the speed fall gently, while assessing issues and planning their actions. I find this regularly with the experienced drivers I train too, some having driven for many years.

"Eyes first, then brain, then use steering or pedals as a result of the decision."
"Brain before brakes"
"The brakes are not a thinking tool. They should be applied as a result of a decision, not to give time to make that decision."

If you need brakes first, then observation, anticipation and planning have failed.

New bump stop / strut gaiter fitted to Daffo. Removal and replacement of the struts now down to 40 minutes. Or would have been except I forgot to put the flex pipe retaining bush clip back on so had to go reach under afterwards. Should be good to go for the MOT next week now.

And boy is it worth changing wiper blades smearing is gone, at least for a few weeks.

Back