Welcome to FIAT Forum v3!

Currently reading:
Welcome to FIAT Forum v3!

Yes, let's call it v3 as back in 2012 we had v2 - and yes, it's been that long since any major update!

Everything is different now, but as same as I could do it so you don't all get lost :)

Some parts have been renamed, such as:

Downloads > Resources
Events > Calendar
Gallery > Media

But rest assured it's just a name change, ALL the data has been imported (I made sure of that and my goodness I never want to do that again!)

There are lots of new things to explore, to be honest I haven't found everything yet so do have a play and let me know if you find any issues or anything missing so I can get right on it.

One of the big ones is that browser push notifications are now supported, so if you're browsing on a mobile you can allow the forum to send you updates - no need for emails each time :)

Current Issues/Tasks:
Search is rubbish, I need to get ElasticSearch installed on the server to solve that.
Gallery images have all been moved, so old links are broken. Working on a redirect script as we speak.
Classifieds need prefixes for existing ads, again, needs an import script so I'm on the case.
Members motors needs converting to the new format, it's useable now so don't worry about that - but it will change in the next week or so.
Links to guides and downloads at top of relevant forum
Thanks reaction missing
Remove number from forum urls
Make stickies more obvious
Show details under avatar on postbits
Login using SSO (Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter)

But please do let me know what you think and if there's anything else I can do!

Cheers!

Ben

Last edited:
This could take a moment to get used to 🤣

Are the classifieds still about? I couldn't seem to find them, but I'm only using via phone/android so it may be that I just haven't spotted them.

I'm rebuilding the search index now, so until it finishes you probably won't get many results.

Finished.

You can do proper fancy searching now, it knows the difference between plural and non-plural terms, no minimum character limit and searches all resource types (threads, classifieds, downloads, gallery etc etc)

I’m liking V3 a lot 👍🏼
I was, up until yesterday, still using the app on my iPad without any issues. Has this now stopped working for good ?
Also, my sig pic is not showing at the moment, will this show in due course ?

Reactions: ben
I’m liking V3 a lot. I was, up until yesterday, still using the app on my iPad without any issues. Has this now stopped working for good ?

For now, yes. That hadn't been updated in years and I was still paying for it (only realised yesterday!)

I was going to say now we have the PWA version you don't need an app, but I'm not sure it works on Apple.

I guess I can see the feedback and decide if going for another dedicated app is the way forward, if enough people want it - then of course I will look into that!

For now, yes. That hadn't been updated in years and I was still paying for it (only realised yesterday!)

I was going to say now we have the PWA version you don't need an app, but I'm not sure it works on Apple.

I guess I can see the feedback and decide if going for another dedicated app is the way forward, if enough people want it - then of course I will look into that!
It’s no big issue to not use the app. It was quick and convenient but if it costs and I’m the only one using it ….. then I’ll happily stick with V3 here 🐼

Fixing that search was quick, takes me ages to fiddle with Elasticsearch normally when I have to do it for work 👏

Haven't checked but is the 'donate' function still working?

I didn't tweak much, just wanted to get it up and running. There is a lot more it can do (suggest as you type is one example) which will need more code and a rebuild, so that's now on my list :)

And yes, donate should be working, I have never tested it - but there's not really much that can go wrong there (famous last words!)

Hi Ben,
Great work, that must have been a marathon and it looks a lot fresher and notifications will be great. I've a few observations, apologies if I've been dense:
  • Having the links to guides and downloads at the top of each vehicle forum was a handy shortcut, can that be reinstated?
  • I liked that we had a 'Like' and a 'Thanks' shortcut for each post in V2 but I can live with just like 'Like'
  • The URLs for downloads (resources) have changed, I'd linked to a few from the UK owners club web site. Will there be a redirect or should I go and update the owners club site? The same might be true for guides but I haven't checked
These are just early niggles, so I'll say again, great work and thank you for all you do to keep this forum going

• Love
Reactions: ben
Having the links to guides and downloads at the top of each vehicle forum was a handy shortcut, can that be reinstated?

I will have a think how this can be done - perhaps in a sidebar. I'm still getting used to the new coding methods needed now, but I will add it on my list (y)

I liked that we had a 'Like' and a 'Thanks' shortcut for each post in V2 but I can live with just like 'Like'

Actually there are loads more now, if you hover the mouse over "like" you will get a number of choices.

If you are using mobile, instead of tapping on like, hold your finger on it and you'll get the other choices!

The URLs for downloads (resources) have changed, I'd linked to a few from the UK owners club web site. Will there be a redirect or should I go and update the owners club site? The same might be true for guides but I haven't checked

Rats - I hadn't considered this and I didn't keep the original resource IDs when I did the import. I'm really sorry about that. Guides will auto-redirect as that have kept their IDs.

I didn't tweak much, just wanted to get it up and running. There is a lot more it can do (suggest as you type is one example) which will need more code and a rebuild, so that's now on my list :)

And yes, donate should be working, I have never tested it - but there's not really much that can go wrong there (famous last words!)

Yep, it works fine (y)

Back