Welcome to FIAT Forum v3!

Currently reading:
Welcome to FIAT Forum v3!

Yes, let's call it v3 as back in 2012 we had v2 - and yes, it's been that long since any major update!

Everything is different now, but as same as I could do it so you don't all get lost :)

Some parts have been renamed, such as:

Downloads > Resources
Events > Calendar
Gallery > Media

But rest assured it's just a name change, ALL the data has been imported (I made sure of that and my goodness I never want to do that again!)

There are lots of new things to explore, to be honest I haven't found everything yet so do have a play and let me know if you find any issues or anything missing so I can get right on it.

One of the big ones is that browser push notifications are now supported, so if you're browsing on a mobile you can allow the forum to send you updates - no need for emails each time :)

Current Issues/Tasks:
Search is rubbish, I need to get ElasticSearch installed on the server to solve that.
Gallery images have all been moved, so old links are broken. Working on a redirect script as we speak.
Classifieds need prefixes for existing ads, again, needs an import script so I'm on the case.
Members motors needs converting to the new format, it's useable now so don't worry about that - but it will change in the next week or so.
Links to guides and downloads at top of relevant forum
Thanks reaction missing
Remove number from forum urls
Make stickies more obvious
Show details under avatar on postbits
Login using SSO (Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter)

But please do let me know what you think and if there's anything else I can do!

Cheers!

Ben

Last edited:
Rats - I hadn't considered this and I didn't keep the original resource IDs when I did the import. I'm really sorry about that. Guides will auto-redirect as that have kept their IDs.
No need to apologise, it's not a big deal to change the links now I know
Actually there are loads more now, if you hover the mouse over "like" you will get a number of choices.
Got it, thanks

Ooh fancy! Working fine for me, except old bookmarks / links from Google aren't working (don't know how important SEO is for the site).

For example: https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/ would be nice to auto-redirect that to the new link: https://www.fiatforum.com/forums/grande-punto.105/
Yeah they are a pain to automate as there is no number in the old url (to be able to pick up the id and move it over).

Everything else can be automatically done.

I think for the forum pages, I'll let google find the new URLs by itself - unless I can find some spare time to do the forum redirecting :)

Hi Ben , things looks bit different , nice one 👍🏻
Had a little look around and can’t find My punto gt thread on the punto mk 1 page , it is on the members motors page though.
Thanks Steve

Hi Ben , things looks bit different , nice one 👍🏻
Had a little look around and can’t find My punto gt thread on the punto mk 1 page , it is on the members motors page though.
Thanks Steve
Yes this is one limitation - on the old forum system I was able to drag in threads from multiple forums based on their prefix (so I could get all the Punto things from classifieds, members motors, spotted etc etc) all to link in with the main Punto forum.

I did look for this, but no add on is currently available that can do it - so it's something I need to study on how to code myself.

I might be able to get around this by putting a new side bar in its place, but that wouldn't help people on mobile...

On my list! :D

Not good for me...
Threads are all over the place, seems totally random date ordering....
Also seem to have a totally illogical/meaningless number of alerts...

Classic Fiat 500
Ah, I see the issue!

The classic 500 section has a load of sticky/pinned threads at the top, which span back quite a few years.

They have a little 📌 next to them, but admittedly it's not very clear.

I'm in bed now (it's 5am here!) But when I get up, I'll see if that can be made a bit clearer (perhaps a different color background)

Cheers!

ahh yes... scrolling down I can see what you are saying...
Just seems strange that there is nothing to indicate the pinned threads....
So if that list was to grow then you would have to scroll down quite a way to see the first "New" thread.....
Not particularly nice to not be able to see the first new thread quickly/easily (just my opinion)

ahh yes... scrolling down I can see what you are saying...
Just seems strange that there is nothing to indicate the pinned threads....
So if that list was to grow then you would have to scroll down quite a way to see the first "New" thread.....
Not particularly nice to not be able to see the first new thread quickly/easily (just my opinion)
There is a little pin, but it's kinda hard to see...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-053113_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20211126-053113_Edge.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 26
Well that hit me in the face. Bit of a shock, not really in a good way.
So it looks 'fresher', meaning it has a brighter background, but why is this necessary, or 'better'?
Different, is not the same as better. Now I have to spend a lot of time, finding out how it all works. Really don't need this.
'Thanks' button has disappeared. The answer about options behind the Like button does not answer this.
Under my avatar, is "I paid, change me". What is that? What am I supposed to change? I was happy with whatever was there before.
On the 'not smile, not grumpy' thread, it suggests I can click on that message and it will take me to my profile where I can change it. Fine, I click on it, arrive at my profile, but cannot see that message anywhere, so can't change it.
The details that appeared under an avatar are now hidden until hovered over, so we now have to move the mouse to see someone's location. Why have these details become hidden?

Someone needs to explain 'push notifications'. Do we still get the automated emails? Is this different, instead, or an additional 'benefit'? Got one automated email earlier today, none since, but there does appear to be threads I've posted to with new posts. How do we reinstate the email notifications?

Currently, not a happy bunny.

Edit: Quoting another post just became difficult.
Another edit: When I click a link in an email, it brings me to the first post of a thread, not the next post since I was last here. So now I have to head to the last page, and work back to try to remember when I was last there?

Last edited:
Hi,
Well that hit me in the face. Bit of a shock, not really in a good way.
I'd agree that there's a fair amount of change but there is a lot to like in the new software though it will take time to get used to. I would guess that Ben (and others?) had tailored the old forum very heavily but not all of that tailoring could easily be carried through to the new forum so we've lost a few familiar features on the move. However, moving to a newer version of the forum software will also give the developers the chance to add new things too. By the sounds of things Ben is working through the list of problems as quickly as he can.

One thing I would say is that post editing while different has improved a great deal, handling of pictures seems easier to me.

I can try and help with some of your issues, note that this is from a PC not a phone or tablet so if you're using one of those it may not apply.
Under my avatar, is "I paid, change me". What is that? What am I supposed to change? I was happy with whatever was there before.
If you go to https://www.fiatforum.com/account/
you can enter your preferred custom title:
1637910575572.png

Edit: Quoting another post just became difficult.
It took me a few minutes to work this out. if you highlight a section of text then you can add it to your list of quotes that you want in your reply by clicking '+Quote':

1637910673468.png

Then in your reply editor you can click 'Insert quotes' to get your quotes added to your reply:
1637910845390.png

Alternatively you can just hit the 'Reply' button and that will add the whole message to your reply.
1637911718839.png

I hope that helps a little in easing the transition.

Reactions: ben
Congrats on the update - I tried to use the app and it said I had to login so knew something was afoot.

Couldn’t get logged in so I’ve done a reset password and now logged in but my username/account is showing as imported_h2ypr - @ben is that normal?

Thanks for all your help in keeping this place alive.

• Love
Reactions: ben
Back