General Timing belt - can I do it myself?

Currently reading:
General Timing belt - can I do it myself?

Myusername

So to the next item on the list - the timing belt and water pump.

My usual garage wants £200+ but the kit is about £50. As an spanner weilder of average competence, is this a job I can tackle at home on the street, or are special tools required, or other pitfalls?

The wisdom from the collective greatly appreciated.

(Car is a 2006 1.2 dynamic)

its best to make sure the car is running 100% before changing the belt.

Great, thanks for the replies. The engine seems to be running well following its news ignition components.

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but is there a how-to anywhere on the site? If there is I haven't come across it.

there's quite a few online and youtube

older puntos use the same engine

be careful one uses the wrong the wrong timing which will put it one tooth out.

not the best detailed but is correct

http://4cardata.info/elearn/169/2/2009000/2000901/2001394/2752447

can be done with a jack under the sump. Be very careful doing this. A tiny dint can cause oil pressure problems. spread the load with a large block of wood

I did mine myself. It was fairly easy but do allow yourself plenty of time. I bought a genuine kit from the Fiat dealer which was actually very good value. Probably not worth buying aftermarket for this. I also bought cheap locking tools from ebay and followed the instructions in the Haynes manual which included making a home made tool to hold the camshaft. Note that there is no gasket on the water pump on this engine - it's metal to metal contact so you need to spend a while carefully removing all the old sealant with a non metallic scraper and make sure you have the correct type of liquid gasket sealant. My first attempt with red hylomar failed and it leaked coolant. I asked the Fiat dealer and they kindly gave me the remnants of an out of date tube of the correct silicone based stuff (they don't actually sell it) and this worked for me.

I have done the 8V and the 16V both are quite easy but its best to get the cam and crank locking kit. The 8V tensioner will move the timing by one tooth, so check before boxing up the job. It's easy enough to move the belt one tooth then repeat the tensioning and recheck. Just mark the crank and cam pulleys with Tippex and sharpie pen before you remove the belt.

The German guy on You Tube (IIRC he's German) gives a good resume of the job.

Ed China showed one of the easiest ways to do it. Take a Stanley knife and cut the current belt in the length. Remove the outer half you cut, leaving the inner half in place and therefore timing still in. Place new belt onto pulleys using routing of the 'old half' Once this is done you can cut off the 'old half' and move new belt into place.

But in this case you have to loosen the tensioner anyways then

Ed China showed one of the easiest ways to do it. Take a Stanley knife and cut the current belt in the length. Remove the outer half you cut, leaving the inner half in place and therefore timing still in. Place new belt onto pulleys using routing of the 'old half' Once this is done you can cut off the 'old half' and move new belt into place.

But in this case you have to loosen the tensioner anyways then
Fuzz Townsend showed it on a Fiat Twin Cam. But while you can replace the belt (and maybe the tensioner), this method wont allow you to replace the water pump.

Back