Technical Timing belt, symptoms

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt, symptoms

ReadySteady98

Hi guys, I have bought a Fiat panda 2007 plate for £500 it was 110k miles and now it’s on 112k miles. Just recently I have noticed a knocking sound when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds but when actual driving it does not coz an issue. I have drove 40 miles back and forth and there is not difference in driving apart from sound. I was also going to ask what are the symptoms of a failing time chain?

Please check the service history and compare to the service schedule to see if the timing belt has been changed. If it hasn't been or there are no records, then get it changed as soon as possible. Timing belt does *NOT* give any noticeable symptoms. It will continue to run fine until it snaps and sets you back £ 1000 to replace the valves. How does that sound like? :love: Get it done, water pump and tensioner too. Also auxiliary belt and its tensioner should be changed and also alternator freewheel pulley checked or/replaced.

You should also get yourself a Hayne's manual for Fiat 500. They're very good for beginners to learn about the cars and their maintenance. (y)

Please check the service history and compare to the service schedule to see if the timing belt has been changed. If it hasn't been or there are no records, then get it changed as soon as possible. Timing belt does *NOT* give any noticeable symptoms. It will continue to run fine until it snaps and sets you back £ 1000 to replace the valves. How does that sound like? :love: Get it done, water pump and tensioner too. Also auxiliary belt and its tensioner should be changed and also alternator freewheel pulley checked or/replaced.

You should also get yourself a Hayne's manual for Fiat 500. They're very good for beginners to learn about the cars and their maintenance. (y)

Apparently last time it was done was at 67k but I can’t see anything on the service history regarding it.

Hi guys, I have bought a Fiat panda 2007 plate for £500 it was 110k miles and now it’s on 112k miles. Just recently I have noticed a knocking sound when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds but when actual driving it does not coz an issue. I have drove 40 miles back and forth and there is not difference in driving apart from sound. I was also going to ask what are the symptoms of a failing time chain?
Not this

You have a suspension problem by the sounds of it

You can get a pretty good idea on the age of the belt (if it’s petrol) if you flick top cover off and post a photo. At this age it’s unlikely to be stamped in the book

There no noise generally

It normally an easy 5 years or around 75,000 miles between changes

However it depends on a lot of things

Cheap parts fitted
Failing water pump
Oil leaks
Faulty installation / wrong tension
How it’s driven

Extreme temperatures and dust effect the belt some countries have a shorter life Australia or Greenland for example

10 years 90K is obviously too much
AE9A9997-851F-48E8-AD02-6B03A7861A25.jpeg

Last edited:
It depends on how much you want to keep the car and how much extra excitement you want. Car just might leave you stranded in the middle of the street anytime with engine damage. :D

An old belt might look surprisingly good but might snap anyway.

Sound when turning, well a good mechanic should be able to find where the slack is no worries.

You can get a pretty good idea on the age of the belt (if it’s petrol) if you flick top cover off and post a photo. At this age it’s unlikely to be stamped in the book

Attachments

• E2DF5A23-4649-4AC3-8780-0752C9801CE5.jpeg
    E2DF5A23-4649-4AC3-8780-0752C9801CE5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • 7F641D94-DE30-450C-9AD7-4E85D43269D9.jpeg
    7F641D94-DE30-450C-9AD7-4E85D43269D9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 06D3BC28-75E3-4C37-A063-0E83AEAC5D2A.jpeg
    06D3BC28-75E3-4C37-A063-0E83AEAC5D2A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • A9DA370C-9BFD-4012-AE78-721EEF330BC5.jpeg
    A9DA370C-9BFD-4012-AE78-721EEF330BC5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
No offence meant fella, but your pics are showing the fan belt? Timing belt is under the black plastic cover on the top of the front of the engine - right at the bottom in your picture. There's 3 bolts hold it on, one on each side and one, down a deep hole in the front face of it, which people often miss because there's a label covering it. Of course the label may have fallen off after all these years but mine - 2010 - is still there.

Just recently I have noticed a knocking sound when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds
Start by getting an 18mm spanner on these two bolts on each side and check they're tight. No need to jack the car up.
01.jpg
If that doesn't help, jack one front wheel up at a time, push and pull wheel with hands at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock, feel and look for any movement, repeat with hands at 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock. Make sure car is safely supported before getting under it.

The sound is either suspension, steering, or driveshaft.

If you don't have proof that the timing belt was changed in the last 5 years / 75k miles, it would be safe to assume it needs changing. I bought my car on this understanding at 92k miles, used it to drive the price down and got the belt changed pretty soon.

Last edited:
Start by getting an 18mm spanner on these two bolts on each side and check they're tight. No need to jack the car up.
View attachment 417901
If that doesn't help, jack one front wheel up at a time, push and pull wheel with hands at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock, feel and look for any movement, repeat with hands at 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock. Make sure car is safely supported before getting under it.

The sound is either suspension, steering, or driveshaft.

If you don't have proof that the timing belt was changed in the last 5 years / 75k miles, it would be safe to assume it needs changing. I bought my car on this understanding at 92k miles, used it to drive the price down and got the belt changed pretty soon.

Right okay, regarding the clunking noise today I used the car multiple times and it has completely went away. To be honest it only started doing this clunking noise after I was trying to get the o2 sensor off. At one point would spray penetrating oil (which I now know doesn’t work because it’s seized unless you use a proper blow torch). I would use to hands on the spanner and can see the exhaust moving and even had kicked the spanner at one point and it broke the spanner. I was thinking that this is what caused the problem of the clunking noise.

Why do you want to change the o2 sensor? Has it failed? There should be a fault code for that.

Back