Technical 187A1000 Timing belt collision

Currently reading:
Technical 187A1000 Timing belt collision

after a few rotates of the engine, the mark of the lower lock moved relative to the blocked upper wheel, is this the correct shift by one tooth that you wrote about?
IMG20230126162824_00.jpg

No

It’s not the normal one tooth out

This would leave the crank locking tool short to reach the bolt hole I believe

Engines with the timing marks as yours are far easier to set using the the lines on the belt

You don’t need the locking tools
You can’t be a tooth out
It’s simpler, easier and quicker

Did the locking tools fit correctly before taking the belt off

Why did you undo the cam pulley

There was absolutely no need to, you had the two the two timing marks one on each pulley and the two white lines on the new belt

There was no need to use the cam and crank locking tool on this engine in fact it just completed things

You need to centre the belt on pulleys and then set the tensioner to max

Do two complete revolutions before you set the tension

The cam pulley is set accurately on a tooth with this tool not the belt

Using the belt will be hit or miss. Although the engine will run a few degrees out.

CCBD6C51-18AB-4541-8A3C-79A8E8070080.jpeg

Just leave the crank locked but the cam free to turn. Note the belt error and retime the cam so that it pulls in correctly when you set the tensioner.

Correct

Too late now they have already undone the cam pulley
I know but it needed to be said for future readers.

They'll have to lock the cam, tighten the pulley, set the timing to the crank and tension the belt. The timing will be out by one tooth so loosens the belt tension and reset with the tooth displaced by one notch. The tension will pull it into the correct setting and job done. The timing marks allow you to confirm its right before finishing the job.

Reviving the thread to ask about the belt tension. I've got two of the early engines to do, Haynes says set so that the belt can just be twisted through 90 deg, then you must get it set accurately with a Fiat dealer. Elsewhere I've seen an audio device used and assume that's what Fiat use.

As you can imagine, I've no intention of going near a dealer - so has anyone come with a genius idea to get around it?

(On boats we use a tension gauge which hooks around a shroud, and as you pull one part of it it distorts the wire and a needle tells you how much tension's in it. A car version would be really simple too).

Reviving the thread to ask about the belt tension. I've got two of the early engines to do, Haynes says set so that the belt can just be twisted through 90 deg, then you must get it set accurately with a Fiat dealer. Elsewhere I've seen an audio device used and assume that's what Fiat use.

As you can imagine, I've no intention of going near a dealer - so has anyone come with a genius idea to get around it?

(On boats we use a tension gauge which hooks around a shroud, and as you pull one part of it it distorts the wire and a needle tells you how much tension's in it. A car version would be really simple too).
How early

Engine number is on the V5

Which width timing belt

How early

Engine number is on the V5

Which width timing belt
One engine #2138948 in an '04 Panda - Haynes say pre 2533527 is the early type?

The other is an '02 Punto (both 1.2 8v) and its owner is away and will send me the number when she's back, but I'm guessing that it being 2 years older is also likely to be pre-mod?

I haven't had the covers off yet, so no idea on the widths.

Punto is likely to need one of these

223001607.png

Panda will be the narrow belt

I have never tried on a belt but I tune other things with an app on a smart phone

Specs and frequency here

Screenshot_20240313_162139.jpg

Thanks!

That's absolute genius, downloaded an app and tested with an online tone generator, and can't wait to get started.

What we need (as a service to the forum generally) is to get the frequencies from the cars that otherwise need special tools, like this Punto.

I can't easily see the Punto tool with a very quick Google, presumably that's a weight on the sliding scale?

It's hard enough in the Panda to be sure of the facts

There 3 different timing methods depending on year and about a dozen minor variations

Two types of belts and pullies and so on

But I know very little about the punto engine

Maybe this will help

Although plenty will have changed the belt in the Punto section, you will probably find more help there,

I could find quite a few tensioners but none cheap.

Back